Luminar Catalog Size

Comments

9 comments

Guy Meacham

Yeah this is a big problem I don't know why Skylum does it this way but as I understand it every change, edit, deletion, old thumbnails of long deleted images, it's all stored and never removed from the catalog file. It will continue to grow forever! It doesn't clean itself out (ie remove info for images you have deleted etc.) 

I don't know any way around it and I don't know why Skylum doesn't use sidecar files which are small can store all the relevant editing info and be moved around from drive to drive with the image!

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy Meacham

Skylum should put you on the payroll Danie :) Sure would be nice if Luminar just worked and didn't need your fix though! People who don't know about this will have a catalog that grows and grows util it fills the drive! 

Sam C

Thanks for the application, I have downloaded, and run and worked a treat. 100GB down to 5GB.

There was an error:

"Error analyzing files"

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

I was able to resolve though. This was due to the fact one of my catalogs had a file that wasn't named Luminar Catalog.luminar once I renamed to this it worked.

Sam C

Thanks @Daniel L.

I'm agree with Guy though, an application that uses 100GB in hard drive space over a few months, with no way to clean it up and grow infinitely is extremely poor. The fact that some of these features and the reliability are not prioritised is not a great experience overall.

@Skylum - Can you this into your code base or build in the feature in? From and end user perspective it's fairly important.

Daniel L

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I shared the sources but I don´t know if they add it as a feature.

Cheers
    Daniel

Lutz Lange
    Luminar helper does not find the installation folder with me. How can I enter this manually?
    Thanks Lutz
    Roy Blackwell

Still crashes when trying to analyze files on my Win10 machine.

Update: Renamed my catalog file to 'Luminar Catalog.luminar' and the app no longer crashes. Reduced my small catalog from 1.4GB to 0.8GB. Now I may import more photos, though probably will wait for Luminar 4 and see how it behaves.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Please sign in to leave a comment.