multiple problems now (3.1.3)

Comments

14 comments

Tony Collins

Here is a shot of blank wall apart from 9 repeated images of the same file (all photos view). The wall stays blank or only part populated in most places I scroll to. Even if I double click a tile to open the image, the opened image remains blank.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

That repeated image is in along with 8 others is in the 08 folder here:

(By the way - the other 8 images are also repeated multiple times in the all photos view - but I can't show those due to the people in them)

However L3 shows that folder as being empty.

QUESTIONS FROM SUPPORT AND MY RESPONSES SO THAT ALL INFO IS IN ONE PLACE...

SUPPORT:

Hi Tony,

Do I understand right that you have moved the images from this folder to another location? 

Could you please specify in what way did you move the images? 

Did you move them from internal HD to the external one? 

We will highly appreciate if you could describe the process of moving the Images with details. 

Hope to hear from you soon. 

ME

Which images? The thread reports three separate issues.

The repeated images in the "all photos" view have not been moved. Just added to the folder by a lightroom import. They show repeated 9 time each in the "all photos" view, but don't show at all in the folder view (0 images reported in 08 folder)

The blank images in the wall (all photos view) have not to the best of my knowledge been moved at all, though it is not possible to be certain. I've been waiting to move them until a reliable method of movigng to an archive drive is available. The result is I've 8 months of images not moved (and also not backed up) on the SSD of my mac. These are typicall showing 1 image linked to a file and showing a thumbnail, and multiple (blank) copies with the same filename - which appear not to be linked to a file.

Unforutnately - becuase L3 doesn't tell me where it expecting to find the unlinked file - it is not possible for me to work out what might have caused this issue.

SUPPORT:

Hi Tony,

Please specify if you are using the latest build of Luminar 3. 

Also, it would help us a lot if you send us a screenshot of your Luminar catalog structure.

It should look something like this:

(image not shown)

Does the issue remain in a new catalog?

ME

Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying - we have a lot on at the moment - and it's difficult to take the time to experiment with software I can't actually use.

But to answer your questions:
    Yes latest build : 3.1.3 (As I stated in the forum thread)

Screenshot attached below. The Lightroom edit folder is on my SSD. The Lightroom pictures folder is on an external USB drive. The wall shows another example of blank images. All the blank ones have duplicate filenames to one of those that is not blank. And these photos have definately not been moved, they were taken in June this year, and have been imported once into the folder from the memory card, using lightroom. When I look in the 2019/06 folder, the blank images don't show. They only seem to show in the "All Photos" view.

However the duplicated images ONLY show in the all photos view, and wont show in the folder (0 files listed in the libary as shown in the forum thread)

I tried creating a new catalog and re-importing all the images. Everything seems to work fine. Except of course I don't have any of my edits. I would also fully expect a new catalogue to get into a similar mess after a period of time. The question is is there a way of fixing this? It is clearly unreasonable to expect your customer to abandon the catalogue every few months.

ME:
    I've discovered some more information.

All the pictures showing as one good image and a number of blank images are taken with my G80 camera

I've now found that there are many pics which are shown as duplicated - all showing an image (like the one in the screenshot in thread). These seem to be taken with my GX800. THESE NEVER SHOW IN THE FOLDER THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN (even though the image file exists in the hard drive folder). Images from the G80 in the same folder do appear.

All the problem images are in the "lightroom edit" folder (on the SSD). And ALL images on the SSD are impacted. G80 pictures show one good one with blank duplicated filenames - do show up in relevant monthly folder. All repeated images are taken with GX800, and don't show up in monthly folder. Further investigation shows the repeated images seem only from about april onwards (which might co-incide with SSD upgrade, see below). Before this time the GX800 images show single with blank repeats like the G80

One further info which might be relevant. I upgraded my SSD a few weeks ago. The old SSD was cloned to the new one, so an exact copy.

ME:

Final bit of information I've discovered:

For the repeated images, the number of repeats increases by 1 every time I open L3. In these two screenshots, you can see the number goes from 18 to 19, and also the number of images shoing in all photos increases from 109669 to 109975 (Presumably the increase of 306 is the total number of repeating images in the catalog.)

(Screenshot showing increasing images omitted - it is in the emails)

SUPPORT:

Hi Tony,

Please do the following:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder as well as Luminar Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.macphun.luminar3
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. It will ask you to complete the initial setup. Go through the initial setup. Choose an empty folder that you never used before (please use an internal drive for Catalog): https://prnt.sc/n02hva 

Please load your photos in parts so Luminar don't freeze. Don't add the whole drive.

Let me know how it goes.

ME:

Hi

As I said in my previous mail, and and as previously requested, I’ve already tried a new catalog and it works fine. That doesn’t help because then I will lose all my edits.

It would be helpful if the support team were able to read the whole history before requesting info already provided. Perhaps it would be better if a single support person handled the one case.

Thanks

Tony Collins

However L3 shows that folder as being empty.

Tony Collins

So - after a bit of investigation this morning. It looks like the blank images in the wall are filenames in the database that L3 can't find the file for. In most of the cases I looked at, the filenames are duplicates of files that do exist.

I don't know if that is related in someway to the files in 08 which are shown repeatedly, but all linked to the same file.

I'm reaching the conclusion that L3 is not going to be my DAM of choice for the future. The database is just too fragile.

David Dunk

The term “fragile” is a very good way to describe database problems with Luminar. I have had very few issues to date but recently a slip of the mouse during a folder drag caused the exact problem you are describing. However, a restore from the latest backup I had resolved the issue for me...phew!

Things like this make me wary about trusting Luminar (in its current state) as my “go to” library. I love using Luminar on my images but the library is a concern. For anyone trusting Luminar for cataloging their photos,,,tread very carefully because one slip could cause a headache. It’s too bad really because I really love using Luminar. I might have to use it only as a plug-in for now and hope they either sort out the stability of their library or just abandon it altogether. 

Olha Rowles

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for emailing us, we'll get back to you as soon as possible and do our best to investigate this.

Tim Gillespie

Cancel the order, go buy On1 instead.

Tim

p.s. How important is your data and who do you trust with it?

Tony Collins

And now I can explain why I am so reluctant to engage with the support Helpdesk.

One week on, and I've had three responses from support - each from a different person. Each asking either for more information, or for me to try somthing, or both.

Unfortunately the last one (which took two days to respond) asked me to try somthing I'd already been asked to try, done, and given the information back.

Your support system is dreadful - trying to do it by email rather than a proper ticket system - having a different person pick up the case each time there is a response. I'm a week on and no answer or help provided, just repeated requests for more detail.

And bear in mind - this whole topic started with me trying to move images to my archive drive - a help request I started on July 29th - and resulted in a - "you need to wait for the new version". So one month later, no solution, and I've been unable to use Luminar for the whole period.

Please at least sort things out so that one problem is handled by one person. As it is, my experience so far is I put in a lot of effort supporting the support team - and get nowhere.

I'm going to edit my email responses into the thread above so at least all the information is in one place. I've no confidence any one support person has seen all of it so far.

António Pena

Hi Tony,

The exact same thing happened to me on the various occasions I had problems with Luminar. It seems to me that they (Support Team) don't have a clue about what is wrong with the program. For the past 3 or 4 months, I have been complaining to them about a possible memory management problem with Luminar. Even with a small catalog and working with about 20 or so images, my computer (Macmini, 16Gb Ram, SSD internal 1tb disk, 2,6GHz, Interl Core5) starts to get slower and slower, the fan starts to work more and more until at some point the program crashes. Until now, all the suggestions I received from the Support Team got me nowhere.

AP

Tony Collins

Due to an illness in the family - I've not been able to follow this up recently. Needless to say, I've not been able to use L3 properly for two months now.

I've just responded to the last email from a month ago asking me to re-install L3, which I've done:

Hi - Time has moved on. Sorry I had to drop this issue due to an illness in the family. Back on it now.

I have now tried a full re-install, and the problem remains. With the new cataloge created after the install, new photos correctly show up in the new folders.

In the existing catalogue (which I need to get working in order to retain all my pervious edits), the folders 2019/08 and 2019/09 are showing with 0 photographs. You can see screenshots from the two folder structures below. (These folders are just an example - I get the same whenever new folders with pictures are created in the existing folder structure)

New catalogue

Exisiting catalogue

Anastasia Davis

Hi Tony! Thanks for getting back to us. Do I understand it correctly that we talked with you via emails? Did you reply to our last email? It seems you have a couple of email addresses you are writing from so we can't find the full thread of emails.

It will be more productive to track the issue over customer support emails but not in the community thread. 

Tony Collins

Hi Yes

I've replied via email - I use this thread, as it is the only way to get a single point of reference of the issue for your support staff. This is because email support does not work. As you state, it is not possible to maintain a thread - I start the process on your website which uses the dedicated skylum@... email I have for your selves, but when I reply to your response it uses my generic email - tony@.... You really ought to put a proper web based support ticket system in place.

Not helped by the fact that every time I reply, it is answered by a different support person.

Tony Collins

The latest reply - and my response...

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

It's about the issue with your old Catalog. However, since it got fixed by creating a new Catalog, I believe it's all good now.

Let us know if any questions arise.

NO IT IS NOT FIXED

This is the problem with your ticket system. Please read the linked thread.

I CANNOT USE A NEW CATALOG BECAUSE THAT ABANDONS (for the third time) MONTHS OF EDIT HISTORY.

PLEASE RE-OPEN THIS CASE.

(sorry for shouting - but this is SO frustrating)

Ian Manocha

same issue for me so I share your frustration.

I've now got 10 copies of each physical image in the library view. So the software is unusable. I upgraded to L4 thinking that might clear out the issue, but no change.

Separate to this problem is the horrible performance on a very high spec Mac which makes the editing process unworkable. I also thought L4 might solve that, but to no avail. I have not been able to establish whether the constant crashes I got using the crop tool in L3 are resolved in L4.

I'll let you know if I make progress via Skylum support. Fortunately uk consumer rights legislation provides protection in situations like this (quality & fit for purpose issues) even though my 30 day period has now expired.

Please sign in to leave a comment.