creating duplicate image

Answered

Comments

19 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

I will make sure to froward it to our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

Hi Helena - surely that feature is nothing more than virtual copies which was already on your roadmap back in March.

Jos Vromen

Maybe I understand you wrong but as far as I know that’s possible in Apple Photos. Right click on the photo.

Mark Barnes

Virtual copies/versions exist in PS, LR and ON1...and a similar in Photos. It's a basic function and has been requested multiple times. Don't understand why it hasn't been done. Disappointing.

Tony Vischschraper

Virtual copies, duplicates, whatever you want to call it, is a feature that was promised and as far as I'm concerned is a major feature that has been missing from the start. Skylum needs to make good on this one. You are promising, again, some great things in Luminar 4, yet some basic functions such as virtual copies (duplicates) have yet to made available in L3. Come on Skylum,  I have enjoyed your products, but am getting frustrated with the roller coaster of promises made yet not fulfilled. 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Tony, 
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I will also pass them to our developers. 
    We appreciate our customers giving us feedback.

Paul Goff

Still not evident in Luminar 4.  Can duplicate in finder but not within the application.  Would think this is a basic minimal feature to be included in a photo image processing application..

Elena Blum

Hi Paul,

Our main aim is to bring our customers a new value, an innovation, unique tools that were never seen before. So we are constantly updating our software to improve the stability of it and to make the user experience better. All our plans pertain to Luminar as a universal editing platform, so we'll be sure to consider implementing new functions in future updates. 

Andreas Brodow

Elena Blum But you had virtual copies in earlier versions of your roadmap but removed it?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Andreas,

Yes, it was listed for a time. However, sometimes plans and priorities are adjusted in order to accomplish certain goals. Virtual copies are still in our backlog of features, but other items have a higher priority at the moment.

Doon Eng

i'm not sure why this simple feature is not available, i constantly use DUPLICATES in Apple Photos, Apple Aperture, and Capture One 12.  It is necessary to allow the photographer to create variations (different edits) of the same photo and then compare them , in order to decide which creative design to actually publish.  I made one edit of one my photo but cannot pursue a different style because i cannot make a duplicate copy of the image/photo.

Paul Goff

Amen.

Garrett Speirs

Start with the basics then build the program up from there.  Not the other way around.  And yes an easy way to make duplicates is as foundational as cut and paste.  

Ton Nolles

I fully agree with Garrett Speirs. Virtual copies is a must have for an efficient workflow!

Patrick Fordham

VIRTUAL COPIES !!!!!   Please.

Elena Blum

Hi,

I could definitely see how you would want to have a feature like that. But right now, we don’t have anything like that in place. Our main aim is to bring our customers innovative unique creative tools that were never seen before. Nevertheless, as our plans pertain to Luminar as a universal editing platform, we'll maybe consider it for the future.

Tony Collins

Less than 9 months ago virtual copies were on your roadmap for L3.

You can't be a universal editing platform with only "innovative unique creative tools" you need to first have the basics in place and you currently can't even provide printing functionality, let alone virtual copies, proper metadata editing, and the ability to migrate images and database to a new hard drive. I for one have given up on Luminar DAM/libraries/whatever and paid for a further year of Lightroom. L4 is only a plugin for me now.

Peter

I would like to add a slightly different perspective. Being used to a certain feature does not mean that other good ways of working with various versions exist.  I am long time LR/PS user and used to virtual copies and duplicates. In LR I quickly lose track of what I've done in what order.

For me the layer functionality in Luminar is a great way to keep multiple versions organised together. E.g. when I sharpen via Topaz Sharpen and then convert to multiple BW versions in Silver Efex, I get extra layers for each instead of additional files.

If I want to share a certain look, I switch off other layers and export the image in size and type as needed. 

When Skylum implements virtual copy functionality, I do hope the current functionality will be kept. 

Victoria Grace

Hi Peter,

The workaround is really useful! Thanks for sharing it with others.

Please sign in to leave a comment.