Promo newsletters while unsubscribed = SPAM

Comments

8 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jorick,

I apologize for the frustration. Have you clicked the link to unsubscribe at the bottom of our emails?

You can also forward the email you received to support@skylum.com and request that you be removed from all of our lists and we'll take care of it for you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jorick Schram

Hi Angela,

I've never subscribed in the first place, so why did I receive this email?

As you can see, I did unsubscribed before, but somehow my email address was added to your mailing list again.

Subscribing people to a newsletter without their explicit consent is a serious violation of GDPR, even for a US based company. You should clean up your mailing list right away by removing all emails from people (like me) that have unchecked this option in their account.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jorick,

I agree it is a problem. I've forwarded your issue to our team in charge of our email lists and we'll get this taken care of for you. I appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

Jorick Schram

Thanks!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jorick - A brief followup: I need your email address in order to fully unsubscribe you (not visible to me via these forums). Please send a quick email to support@skylum.com with the email address(es) you'd like to ensure we unsubscribe and we'll get it taken care of.

Jorick Schram

Hi Angela,

Perhaps you misunderstood the seriousness of my issue. I need you to unsubscribe all of your customers that disabled this option in their accounts. If I send you my email address, how can I be sure you actually followed up and removed all non-subscribers from it?

Sure, this will cost you a great deal of your subscribers, but since they never asked to be on your list it's the only right thing to do. Also, this is required to comply with all applicable laws and to prevent being sued in the future in regards to CAN-SPAM, GDPR, and such.

Kate Williams

Hi Jorick,

We'd like to investigate why it's happening in order to get the matter sorted out. That's why I'd highly appreciate if you could send us a request at support@skylum.com with an email to which you've received our promos even though you've previously unsubscribed. Having your email, we'll be able to check why it happens and take appropriate measures applicable to all of our customers. Thank you in advance. 

Jorick Schram

Despite having sent you the email address upon which I receive unwanted promo newsletters, and your promises to unsubscribe me and prevent this from happening again, I've just received another one...  WTF!?

Yeah right:

Please sign in to leave a comment.