Post-processed photos - how do I acess them?

Comments

11 comments

Robert Turner

Just as in Light Room you have to export your processed photos

Comment actions Permalink
    Martin Harvey

Thanks, Robert but the use case is different, at least in my situation.

In LR when I edit an image the original is changed in my source folder so I do not need to export it to get access to or view the changed image outside of LR. In my case, it's still in the raw RAF format as I do not convert to DNG in LR. Of course, if I wish to email it or send/upload to social media I must export it to, for instance, JPEG.

In Luminar the edited original is not changed in my original source folder which means I can only view the changes in Luminar and not Finder or another viewer (e.g. Xee) and I must export it to get a copy of the edited image outside of Luminar.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Martin,

Please use right-clicks on an image > Export > one of the options under Luminar  in order to send images to the plugin, this is the preferred way to work with it.

After you hit Apply button, the photo is supposed to appear at the end of the album "All photographs".

If we can further clarify please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Martin Harvey

Thanks, Anna, however, that is not the issue. The issue for me, and if it's the way Luminar works, is that when I change the image it isn't actually changed. My raw file, RAF in my case, is unaltered. Clearly, in your catalog the changes are recorded so that if one exports they are applied on the exported copy. But I'd really prefer the original copy to be updated.

To send to a plugin you use the image>Open in, not the Export.

Kate Williams

@Martin, please note that if you apply any adjustments to a RAW photo in Lightroom, it gets 'developed'. The photo is no more a RAW file. While transferring the developed file to a Luminar plugin, Lightroom always sends it as a TIFF file (since it stores image data in a lossless format). After applying adjustments in Luminar, the photo transfers back to Lightroom as a copy, since Luminar doesn't modify the original RAW file due to its undestructive workflow. 

If you want to develop RAW files in Luminar, you need to choose 'Open Source Files' option while exporting an image from Lightroom. This way, Lightroom will send the original RAW file directly into Luminar so you'll be able to use 'RAW Develop' filter to adjust the image.

When you invoke Luminar as a plugin, LR takes off the focus of the folder from which you took the photo to send to Luminar. When you hit Apply in Luminar, and your image gets put into the folder on your HDD, the only thing you need to do in order to make the image appear in LR is to click the folder where your photo was: LR will re-focus on the folder and pull the files that are currently in it.

Please make sure that you are in the Library mode (top bar) and navigate through your folders/ All Photographs (the left panel).

Martin Harvey

Thanks Kate for the lucid and comprehensive response. However, one more time I'll try to explain, here I am not using Luminar as a plugin to LR but working in, and only in, Luminar 3. 

Robert Turner

Kate,

Both Luminar and Lightroom are non-destructive, all changes are stored in their respective catalogs.

In Lightroom you can force some of the changes to a sidecard xmp file, but the original is never changed.

That is why people are waiting for a Lightroom to Luminar catalog migration program.

Bob

Kate Williams

Thanks for this clarification. I must've misinterpreted your initial message, sorry for that.

When you edit an image in Luminar, all of the filters you apply, the adjustments you make to those filters, everything you do to an image as well as your flagging, ratings are saved in .state files (i.e. inside your Catalog), as, again, Luminar does not modify the original files. 

The sidecar files functionality is currently missing in Luminar 3, but this is something that our customers have requested, so we'll consider implementing it in the future.

Regarding LR migration tool: we are not going to develop it on our own. Currently, we are negotiating its development with our partners and once there are any positive changes in the situation, we'll let you know. 

Martin Harvey

Wonder if it would be useful to export to a DNG raw file from the raw original?

Robert Turner

Exporting to DNG allows you to share your raw file with others who dont use the same raw file format that you have.

Martin Harvey

Exactly! 

Please sign in to leave a comment.