why I'm abandoning Luminar...

Comments

7 comments

Martin Connolly

I agree that fixing crashes and speed issues should have been prioritised over adding new features. I think Skylum have definitely been running before they could walk. Also agree that Intensify and Tonality were great apps. I especially loved using Intensify. I would be tempted to drop Luminar, except that Adobe are putting up my subscription to unsustainable levels, and the other alternatives that I have tried (Capture 1, Alien Skin Exposure) are even more expensive. So some kind of hybrid workflow with Apple Photos and Luminar might be my best bet.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jim West

I am also frustrated with Luminar. It is a love hate relationship. I finally switched to ON1 RAW and Dropped Adobe and was happy until the other day when I found that ON1 RAW engine does a poor job on certain landscapes with high contrast between sky and horizon... I.e Mountains. So I reluctantly went back to Luminar and found that it does a great job on my Z6 RAW files. This the love part..but then the Magic Mouse shows up and I miss all the LR type features that are in ON1 RAW.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry to hear that the update isn't working well for you. Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Mathew Maher

Angela,

In the space of two hours work I found three separate bugs; this isn’t support, this is beta testing!

I will say that support turnaround is excellent but the standard response is to delete files and re-catalogue . I agree this resolves most user issues but does nothing to locate the underlying problems, it’s not a substitute for proper testing before release!

Tim Gillespie

Angela, I would not want your job at all. I love how polite you are, but like the rest of the team, there are no answers here. No offense intended.

To be clear, the quest for the best software in any category is never done. This one will go on for a long time to come. For me, I have found what looks like a very workable solution for now.

1. I bought new disk arrays and dumped Drobo (never use Drobo) for Synology DS418Play media servers. Absolutely great choice.

2. I bought all the DAMs out there and tested them all.

3. I bought a Netgear R9000 router and it absolutely rips thru 1500 images that are 40 megabytes each. Now I can actually manage 250,000, 40 megabyte images. I can browse my photo collection again with ease. This is huge! Cannot be overstated! Works with the disk arrays like I never thought I would see. I LOVE IT!

Used a video project (9 videos for 9 original songs on an musical album) to work everything out and test my system and I have a solution I can use that does not include Lightroom, although it can. Here it is.

I use ON1 as a DAM. For me with this new system, it is stable. I can leave it open over night and pick up without a lockup. I can go right back to work. This DAM catalogues large RAW files in a way no one else can. It is VERY, VERY fast!

I use the On1 developer for standard images (Nikon d800) but I also will load up and bring in several different editors depending on this situation. This will change as I get to know ON1 over time. And some of the other DAMs are planning big updates, so I will keep up with them. But the DAM was the big missing piece and now I have one. We shall see how good, but so far I am thrilled. The race is narrowing and market share is being won!!! Once won, good luck taking it away. No file names?

Luminar 3? What would I do?

1. Fire the lead developer or re assign that person. Or at least ask why this is taking so long and why we have such poor results. The other companies and speeding ahead, what is the matter with this company?

2. Bring in talent if that is the issue.

3. Can the architecture if that is the problem.

Still no file names? I refuse to believe that Skylum does not see the value of acknowledging a file's name. I know they do. It's just that they can't. That is why you look to the person that  leads the development and start to ask for answers. Oh that's right! There are none! You might as well ask Angela.

If Skylum does not think file names are important, we should all leave now (walk backwards so they think you are walking in the room). You cannot fix that kind of thinking!

Asking for more money at this point in the development, lays bare the broken commitments Skylum has allowed to continue. I am wondering if the money issue (there is always a money issue) is bigger and more suffocating than presently known.

In any event, this development is stuck in slow. I would not expect to see much happen fast. And after their broken promises, who knows what you will really get when they are finished.

If you are looking for a lightning fast workflow, check out the one I listed above. You can put together a solution today and it will work. It just doesn't include Skylum. Except for their developer.

But at least they run a nice forum and allow the truth to be told. They must be given credit for that!

More money? Har har, hardy har har!

Tim

Mathew Maher

The really annoying thing is that 3 years ago I developed a very similar product for use with satellite image processing. Ok, it didn’t have the wizz-bang GUI, but did fully automated folder scanning, image processing, thumbnails and was fast: very very fast. Needed to be: was doing real-time image processing on satellite downlinks!

The point is, I think I can see where the problems lie: in the efforts to speed things up you’ve had to muck about with the multi-threading: offloading processing to the background tasks. This is all well and good provided you have precise synchronisation: which is very difficult to retro-fit and get right. Get it wrong and it’ll work fine on one computer, but not on another: let alone changing o/s (windows and Macos have very different thread timing characteristics which QT library doesn’t correct for you!)

To be blunt, you’ve got a big architectural problem: add a few more fixes and new features into this and you’ll obsolete your codebase before it even gets going!

Mat

Tim Gillespie

Well, I am looking for my favorite fork. It's around here somewhere.

It looks very much like this race is either over or widening to the point where the front runner can no longer see the 'also rans' in the back.

What am I talking about? Well it's looks like On1 is preparing another round of updates, actually new products and an update. Their product is already stable, for the most part. I really love how fast the browser is. Man it is fast! I am getting comfortable with the developer although it is somewhat of a departure from the norm. They have more free training than I will consume and now they are hitting us with this "Big News! Coming Soon" news.

Meanwhile there are still massive architectural challenges back here at the Ranch. Massive complaining, promises of updates to come that will straighten this stuff out, and bugs, bugs, bugs!

This is becoming very clear.

There are others too! X4 soon to be X5 is a good alternative. It seems a little stale but I am going to look at the upgrade.

Light wrong, I mean Lightroom continues to improve although still very slow.

There is good stable DAM software out there right now. The ranks at the Ranch seems to have thinned out a little. Might be time to saddle up myself. The winds have been blowing for a while now. 

Oh here it is. I found it! That fork I ave been looking for. I think it is time to stick a fork in this project and watch it from afar. Maybe someday things will be different. Maybe some days this software will support filenames. Maybe I'll come back and take a look then. For now, I got an exciting job and it is time to go to work. 

So I am off to hobnob with my brother wizards. Good bye every body.

Tim

Please sign in to leave a comment.