New Luminar 3.1.3 update: features and improvements

Pinned

Comments

31 comments

Colin Grant

Anything is welcome I guess but this is hardly a significant update is it?

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric

Yeah, as far as I remember, there were supposed to be speed improvements. That better not be the “faster” SSD import, that’s not been a relevant issue. Displaying the full-size image with or without edits applied takes way too long. Nothing mentioned about improvements there but a new splash screen was definitely worth mentioning because that’s somehow an improvement.

Jorick Schram

Awesome, I love how it just hangs for no reason at all...

Mr.E

A new update a new crashreport.   :(

Took not even 5 minutes:

Date/Time: 2019-08-14 20:18:26 +0200
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Build 18G87)
    Architecture: x86_64h
    Report Version: 28

Data Source: Stackshots
    Shared Cache: 0x7ffc000 12FD6924-50B2-36D1-A05D-1BA22E152A56

Command: Luminar 3
    Path: /Applications/Luminar 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Luminar 3
    Identifier: com.macphun.luminar3
    Version: 3.1.3 (4280)
    PID: 1094

Event: hang
    Duration: 0.10s
    Steps: 1 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: iMac14,1
    Active cpus: 4

Time Awake Since Boot: 6600s

Fan speed: 1397 rpm

--------------------------------------------------
    Timeline format: stacks are sorted chronologically
    Use -i and -heavy to re-report with count sorting
    --------------------------------------------------

Heaviest stack for the main thread of the target process:
    1 start + 1 (libdyld.dylib + 91093) [0x7fff5f8ff3d5]
    1 main + 217 (Luminar 3 + 10144) [0x1005f87a0]
    1 NSApplicationMain + 777 (AppKit + 10984) [0x7fff30f8cae8]
    1 -[NSApplication run] + 755 (AppKit + 79328) [0x7fff30f9d5e0]
    1 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 2310 (AppKit + 153126) [0x7fff30faf626]
    1 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 478 (AppKit + 1594983) [0x7fff3110f667]
    1 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 6840 (AppKit + 1602407) [0x7fff31111367]
    1 -[NSView scrollWheel:] + 341 (AppKit + 3120050) [0x7fff31283bb2]
    1 forwardMethod + 211 (AppKit + 2404403) [0x7fff311d5033]
    1 -[MPScrollView scrollWheel:] + 81 (MPServices + 707178) [0x1016aca6a]
    1 -[NSScrollingBehaviorLegacy scrollView:scrollWheelWithEvent:] + 397 (AppKit + 4078653) [0x7fff3136dc3d]
    1 -[NSScrollingBehaviorLegacy scrollView:responderToForwardScrollEvents:] + 103 (AppKit + 3122229) [0x7fff31284435]
    1 -[NSScrollingBehavior scrollView:responderToForwardScrollEvents:] + 247 (AppKit + 3122487) [0x7fff31284537]
    1 -[NSResponder wantsForwardedScrollEventsForAxis:] + 1 (AppKit + 3124558) [0x7fff31284d4e]

Process: Luminar 3 [1094]
    UUID: 1127FC18-2B25-3147-87DA-2DCF0C4394B8
    Path: /Applications/Luminar 3.app/Contents/MacOS/Luminar 3
    Architecture: x86_64
    Footprint: 1418.43 MB
    Start time: 2019-08-14 20:18:26 +0200
    End time: 2019-08-14 20:18:26 +0200
    Num samples: 1 (1)
    Note: 3 idle work queue threads omitted

Colin Grant

Yup crashed on my Mac also and the previous version never did that. Thumbnails look blurred to me when first loaded, it is though they load part rendered to give an illusion of speed. Tiff thumbnails take an age. The entire app still feels laggy and unstable. Just goes from bad to worse really. Certainly the end of the line.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Ich kann überhaupt keine Verbesserung im puncto Performance feststellen, leider. 

Martin Connolly

Hmm, might give this one a miss. At last 3.1.2 seems stable.

Jim West

Mine seems stable but the Magic Mouse is still an issue!!

Barrie Barrington

3.1.3 crashes at launch for me. But I am running the Catalina beta. 3.1.2 worked fine. Ah well, maybe I should not run beta OS software.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Mr.E, 

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could investigate the issue in a more scrupulous way. 

Hi Barrie, 

I am afraid that we can't guarantee the smooth work of the app if you install it on the beta version of the OS. 

Jos Vromen

So Catalina being almost finished, this is worrying me. But future will tell . . .

Andy H

So sad. They can't even get a "dot" update right. I'm not even bothering re-installing Luminar on my Mac to see if the 3.1.3 update is an improvement. Can we honestly believe Luminar 4 is going to be any better? Save your $49 folks.......at least until a trial version is available.

Jeffrey Raines

I am waiting to start up Luminar without having to manually adjust the sort order off my photos. I want Luminar to open with sort order: Capture Time/Descending. I am beginning to look for alternative software. Surely a bug like this could have been repaired by now. As minor as this bug is, it is very annoying one.

Mr.E

Hi Jeffrey,

In the right upper corner, next to ' folders'  you can choose how you want to order your photos.

Hi Andy,

I re-installed Luminar last night and I must admit that it makes Luminar run a lot better, it ain't perfect yet and it won't solve the Magic Mouse problem, but at least I can work on my photos again instead of wasting my time cursing at the software :)

Sincerely,

Mr.E

Kate Williams

@Jos, once Catalina is announced as an official version, we'll be sure to make our apps compatible with it.

@Jeffrey, this is a known issue. Please expect a fix in the following Luminar 3 update. 

Colin Grant

Yet another poor update it seems? Has crashed twice when editing - each time when trying to tweak an edit from within a slider (turning slider on and off and adjusting opacity). - program just crashed and vanishes from screen. Just now it hung when selecting a thumbnail and moving to the edit window.

Andy H

@Mr. E. Glad it's working better for you. For me, Luminar is no longer part of my workflow - at least for now. This thread, plus at least one other on this community indicate serious issues with this update for some and I just can't bring myself to pollute my hard drive with another half baked update from Skylum. As a long term Skylum customer, I remain interested in how they develop Luminar, but until they can clearly demonstrate they've got a handle on the issues, I'm using other software (ON1 as a base editor and DAM plus Topaz for more creative edits). I'm waiting for the trial version of Luminar 4 before I even think about giving Skylum any more money.

Kate Williams

@Colin, 

Please get in touch with our team at https://skylum.com/support so that we could investigate the case. 

Mark Quatz

My problem with Luminar 3 is still the same. Nothing changed so far.

I bought the software almost 2 years ago and still I cant use it in a normal way.

In the edit mode there still is a major problem. When I move to a next (or previous) image, the image is immediately visible. But it takes about 8 seconds before I can edit the image. After moving to a next (or previous) image, the histogram shows normally but the filters are all grayed out. Then in the histogram, all the colors move to the left side. After a few seconds the histogram snaps back to a normal view and the filters are not greyed out and I can start edit. This process takes about 8 seconds and happens on every image.

That's complete unusable when editing a bunch of images.

Martin Connolly

@Mark Quatz it’s faster if you hide the “looks” filmstrip until you need it. Might be worth trying that.

Mark Quatz

Hi Martin, thanks but not sure what you mean. I have no filmstrip visible, only the image and on the right side the edit panel.

Martin Connolly

Ah ok. At the top of the edit screen there is an icon with three dots under a line. That turns on the looks panel (filmstrip) at the bottom of the screen. If it’s not turned on for you then turning it off won't achieve anything :) I just experimented and it took about 3 seconds to switch onto a new Jpeg file and populate all the sliders, and 5 or 6 seconds for raw files. With the looks panel on, it takes another second or two to refresh that panel. But that was after the app crashed the first time I opened it, and eventually stopped responding after jumping between about 20 images. Honestly, Flex is the only Luminar option that works well for me at the moment. 

Andy H

@Martin Connolly. True, that's because Flex is just a re-branded version of Luminar 2018 with a few minor filter and UI modifications. For me 2018 was the last version of Luminar that was any good and the way things are going, it might be the best version there ever will be.

Frederic Siepmann

You should be a little ashamed of yourselves: STILL NO CR3 SUPPORT. This is becoming annoying to say the least. I tried this as alternative for adobe but it seems this is not working out. This is very disappointing. 

Carsten

Unfortunately, again no real issues seem to be tackled. I just posted in another thread regarding NAS usage: with thousands of pictures on a NAS, Luminar 3 is simply not usable, the start-up takes ages! There's apparently no smart caching if the software needs to access data for hundreds of thousands of pictures on a network storage before it becomes usable. Performance in general tells me something is not right under the hood: also exporting pictures takes way too long, especially when compared to Aperture or Lightroom on the same machine (2011 iMac).

Please: focus on getting the basics right quickly, so that Luminar feels like a stable release that one can actually work with in all common scenarios. Working on playful tools like sky replacement for the upcoming version seems like very misplaced effort considering the severe performance problems that still exist.

Andy H

@Carsten. Totally agree. Using NAS with Luminar is a terrible experience, that's one reason I switched to ON1 which has a very flexible and comprehensive DAM and my NAS works great with it. It is clear to me Skylum have a development path that they are determined to deliver no matter what we, their paying customers - the one's that keep them in business - say.

There are a great many posts on this community urging them to focus on getting the basics right before giving us more gimmicky AI filters. I've been saying it for months, but they continue to give us useless updates that for me at least do very little. I haven't even bothered downloading the latest update based on the reaction to it here.

There is no point having all this AI if the user cannot even access it because of slow start ups, frequent crashes and general poor performance. I've drawn the conclusion that the only way Skylum will wake up and listen is when their customer base begins to erode as folks like us get fed up and take our business elsewhere.

Tom Treuten

Ok. I'm fed up now with Luminar and I already regret deeply that I pre-ordered Luminar 4. Now I can't even use my original Google Nik Collection anymore.

I followed another thread in the forum to find out that I'll have to buy myself the new duo Version for another 149€.

I wanted to get rid of buying new software constantly and I didn't want to enter a monthly payment model at Adobe. But that's what I will do now - return finally to Adobe.

You can go and .... I'll skip the rest of it because that would end up in a long list of 4-letter words, cursing and more dirty language. Keep your buggy crap and let me know if you are interested in selling software that's worth while working with for a semi-pro photographer. If the latter should ever happen, please tell me. But by today - instead of making the SW more useful for serious photographers you are adding more gimmicks.

And yes please - let me know how to cancel my pre-order of Luminar 4. I'm sick of crashes, highest cpu usage and other buggy stuff. Good bye Luminar! Hello Adobe - I'm back!

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Tom, 

I am sorry to hear that.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a better way.

Luminar 3 still can't recognize my camera, when connected to my IMac via USB.  My 12-year-old Aperture program made importing photos much simpler - WHY?

Please sign in to leave a comment.