What's new in Luminar 3.1.3 update?

Pinned

Comments

46 comments

Martin Harvey

Actually, I don't pay Adobe that much as I use LR Classic and I've just paid in advance for Luminar 4 so unsure which is the better deal based just on $$$.

Comment actions Permalink
    Terrence Molvik

After half a dozen attempts, I managed to install the update, but could not find the lost edits album, and then the bloody thing just crashed. I have had a guts full of empty promises. Time to move on.

Mark Lopiccola

I used that Offline app, and bingo boom shakalaka!  It worked.  It offered me Update, repair, or uninstall this time.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Terrence Molvik

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a better way.

Martial Fournier

Cela ne fonctionne toujours pas pour moi, toujours le même message

Spanish Flyer

I downloaded and paid Skylum for Luminar 3 just yesterday and immediatly started coming to terms with it. I kept getting an update warning (the one everybody is talking about), and this morning I decided to install it. The installation went fine, but when I started the program I just had the main page open and a blurry image of the photo I was working with yesterday. Wait a loooong time, as if it needed to create the album once more, but nothing happens; I can move the pointer, but nothing works and the 10GB image I was working with the day before is just a blurry image.

I don't know what to do since following the comments and using Anna's link to re-install the Luminar 3, it installs, but I get the same results.

Need help here (Windows 64bit 32GB RAM i7 9700, MM2 ssd drive, Nvidia gtx 1080 Ti)

Best regards,

Charles

Angela Andrieux

@Martial Fournier a @Spanish Flyer - Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate these issues.

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Le problème est réglé,

Merci Angela

Detlef Molder

Hello,

I could not solve the problem even with the offline installer. Always the same error message. I even uninstalled the program because it was recommended to me by the support. But that didn't help either.

Then I ran an older version of the installer that I had saved. I wanted at least some version to work with the program. The installation went through normally. However, I was very surprised - not the old version was installed, but the current one.

Do I have to understand that? No matter, the main thing is that it helps.

Joris

'haters', 'haters'.. I normally wouldn't call myself a hater.

But still having a product that crashes after editing 50+ photos in one go, doesn't support color-management and questions to support only get you a "We will get back to you on that, but in the mean time, how about a discount on Aurora HDR?" doesn't make me happy.

I still expect Luminar 4 to be a free upgrade from Luminar 3 / 2018 users since Luminar 3 is still not working correctly. Or a promise to keep supporting Luminar 3 and backporting fixes from Luminar 4 to Luminar 3. but I'm pretty sure that won't be happening.

I'm honestly interested in the AI Structure thing... but you can't expect me to preorder a product I know will have the same bugs and problems my Luminar 3 has now for one new feature??

So yeah, apparently I'm a hater here. I just find it ridiculous how paying customers are treated with the state of the product(s) while they keep asking for more money for new versions which still don't do what they promised (yes, they promised / claim color-management, it's still not here).

Personally I don't find myself a hater. I'm just very frustrated because here is this product with nice filters and a nice workflow that I actually want to use (and paid for), but can't because some basic features are missing / not working for the last 18 months.

Kate Williams

@Detlef, if the issue persists, please, get in touch with our team at https://skylum.com/support and we'll get back with a solution. 

@Joris, We'll keep supporting Luminar 3. It will be updated with stability and performance improvements, as well as new features, as it was promised. Our team is currently working on several issue fixers, including the memory leaks during subsequent photo editing, and will include them in the following update. 

You can check our plans here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

Luminar 3 is color-managed. For us to check your case, please get drop us a message at https://skylum.com/support  and send us the following information: 

1. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    2. Type colorcpl in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.
    3. Make a screenshot of the window that opens and send it to us.

If you have more than one display, select each display you use in the Device dropdown and send us screenshots for each display.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joris

@Kate Williams

The first time I tried contacting Skylum support about this was in May this year. It ended with "We will ask our developers, you will hear from us" after lots of (worrying) back and forth.

See my responses in https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360047890492-Luminar-on-Wide-Gamut-monitors and in https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043531972-Exports-both-standalone-and-PS-plugin-look-different-to-what-Luminar-was-showing

Further attempts to contact Skylum support have always resulted in silence.

Messages from support like "Oh, the problem is your image is in AdobeRGB" are worrying since that 1) should not be problem of course 2) is completely besides the point

Asking for an image that had the problem (note: all images have this of course, since it's not related to the image) and saying "they look the same over here compared to Photoshop" is also worrying since that completely misses the point that with my color-profile selected they do not on my machine. Of course if you have a monitor with no color-profile active (or a very subtle one) you're not going to notice it.

I only do testing with only a single monitor connected to make sure bugs / errors in multi-monitor stuff are not part of the problem.

The screenshot of the display is here https://send.firefox.com/download/0f78729cd4e45e38/#jbY91HPKJMi4Wz2eS0undg

My current color-profile is this one: https://send.firefox.com/download/9bb6473417356439/#soC0BD7kqs2GV6adrZQsRg

I offered to send it before in the support-emails, but there was no response to this.

If Skylum really keep claiming that they use a color-managed preview, then the problem can be my graphics chip (An integrated Intel 620, so basically 80% of ultrabooks there) or the problem is in the color-profile itself, hence why I keep asking  you to test with it.

For the record and to end more positive: I'm glad to hear that Luminar 3 is still having a roadmap of development. Things like it being 'somewhat slowish' (for me at least) is nothing deal breaking, and even crashes after lots of edits is not a big problem (I just restart it every +/- 40 images) and I didn't even test 3.1.3 yet.

But not having a color-managed preview means it's basically unusable for me

Kirk Osborn

Luminar 3 is color-managed. It means that Luminar 3 interprets which color profile is selected on your OS and adjusts to it.

Please choose these settings in Photoshop and let me know if the issue with non-matching colors is resolved: http://prntscr.com/m6q2ys 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joris

@Kirk

.. That's one of worrying things.

By selecting that option you are effectively disabling color-management in Photoshop. If that is what you compare Luminar's preview too, I see one of the reaons why it's not working.

What it really does is "proof what this image would look like if it was viewed on that monitor with no color-correction applied". That option is there for testing how an image would look when viewed on a device with a certain response.

Like I explained before in support-emails, Luminar's output matches exactly the output of:

- Irfanview with color-management disabled

- Windows 10 'Photos' app (which has no color management)

- Photoshop set to proof 'Monitor RGB'.

Meanwhile, all those apps look exactly the same:

- Irfanview with color-management enabled

- The older 'Windows Photo Viewer' which is color-managed (but removed in recent Windows 10 versions)

- Affinity Photo

- Photoshop with default settings

- Rawtherapee with color-management enabled

- Darktable

- Adobe Bridge -> Camera Raw

and I can probably find lots of others.

Also, if I compare screenshots of Luminar with my color-profile loaded and without my color-profile loaded they are the same, while all of the other apps are different (because they are adjusting to my selected color profile).

The thing is, Luminar seems to do _something_ with the selected color-profile, because if I change it to something completely wrong I get funky effects. For example, choosing a pure XYZ color-profile (which appears to be unsupported) I get something that looks like the color channels are switched (it looks like an infrared-picture or something :)).

So, which color-profile is selected seems to do _something_.. 

Just think about the facts: All other programs that are color-managed look exactly the same while viewing the same image file, but Luminar looks exactly like programs that are _not_ color-managed. At least on my system.

(And there are others on the forum with the same issue, specially if you have a wide-gamut screen which needs adjusting to be used for normal work)

Alfred Alonso

Skylum is getting just like Windows 10. So many new "improvements" yet something as simple as an upgrade doesn't work properly.

I get it, gotta make money especially if you are are not SAAS, but jeez, can you license a proper installer program?

Last time I tried, the entire install failed because the installer encountered a firewall. I guess no one at skylum uses a firewall?

shhh......

Maryna Skylum

Hi Alfred, 

Please, try the following link:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/win/Win_Luminar_3.msi

Please sign in to leave a comment.