Support until end of 2019??

Comments

9 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your feedback. We're doing our best to make our communication with customers more coherent.

We will reveal all Luminar 4 bells and whistles later. We will be announcing them one by one.

We will also publish Luminar 3 Roadmap pretty soon. Stay tuned!

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

But you did not answer the question AGAIN, did you Helena. It is a simple one - are you supporting L3 beyond end 2019? And that related roadmap is a long time coming. You are making this up as you go along - your have no real plan do you  and you wonder why trust is low to non existent! Still no coherent answer as to why you cannot give us the L4 specs now. My guess is that is you just do not know what will be working and therefore included.

Daniel L

Thanks Colin! That is exactly what I wrote...not answering simple questions... I have a bad feeling about Luminar´s future...

Colin Grant

I have had a bad feeling about Skylum for an age now and it is not getting any better, to the contrary.

Guy Meacham

Colin you hit the nail on the head I think.

They can not make any more announcements about L4 because they simple don't know what features will be working or almost working by the release date.

They can not answer questions about what will be supported and for how long in Lumonar 3 because they don't know! My guess is that the answer to this question is that it will depend on how many copies of L4 they sell up front or in the first few weeks of the L4 release. Weather or not they can afford to blow off the L3 users or not.

On top of this they are currently pushing L3 sales in direct mail advertising (raising more cash) with no mention of the fact that L4 is coming out and with no promise of an upgrade to L4 if you buy L3 just a couple of months before it's supposed release.

The term flying by the seat of their pants comes to mind!

Colin Grant

I really am surprised there is not a greater interest being taken in respect of Skylum's antics/practices. As you say flying by the seat of their pants comes to mind. Glad I'm not an investor :-)

Kim Austin

Really. how hard is it to communicate to your customers? In this age of technology, the tools have made it so much easier. Depending on who responds, the answer can be somewhat different. Despite calls for Alex to front the audience, he seems to have disappeared.

@Helena "We're doing our best to make our communication with customers more coherent." It ain't working Helena.

So please answer the question -- will Syklum be supporting L3 beyond 31/12/19?

Roy Blackwell

My reading of a recent Skylum blog post indicates to me that Luminar 3 and Flex are both headed to the dust bin by sometime next year. By this I mean they are unlikely to receive further updates in 2020. Personally, this does not bother me. I have already pre-ordered Luminar 4. Probably best Skylum concentrate on one major image editing app.

Stefan Heinz

@Daniel - The comment you are referring to, I guess, is:

"Ende 2018 hieß es doch von Skylum dass alle Updated bis Ende 2019 inklusive sind...."

That person is referring to a statement apparently made by Skylum at the end of 2018 that all updates until the end of 2019 are free - which would mean that either Skylum has to give out Luminar as a free update - or postpone it to next year.

The way I see it, Skylum is a company. They are here to make money. Creating software costs a lot of money (I've been there). As an early customer, I do see myself as kind of an investor. When I purchased version 1, I knew it would not compete with Lightroom (and it didn't). I wanted to try it out and give them a chance ... and I wanted to support the possibility of having a choice. Lightroom is great, but also not cheap and (at least at the time) had its shortcomings.

Please sign in to leave a comment.