L3/L4/Flex

Comments

8 comments

Vance Zachary

@ Terry I think the biggest question Colin was asking was about that was not answered is about a fully featured DAM containing the features Colin mentioned above and as published in the road map last December . Will those features be included with the continuing Luminar 3 updates or we will need to upgrade to the paid Luminar 4 to see these added features???

Even further, is Skylum's giving up on developing Luminar basic functionality and making Luminar Lightroom alternative?

Has Skylum given up on adding features such as the ability to stitch panoramas, focus stacking, plugin support for other software that would extend Luminar functionality such as Nik collection for Windows, Affinity, and even to Skylum's own Aurora HDR.

How about Windows parity with mac? Will this be added to Luminar 3 as well as Luminar 4? How come no official announcement if there has been a change of direction in Luminar development?

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

Exactly Vance. Terry, are you categorically saying that L3 will receive a forthcoming performance update only and that will be the end of it with all the other functionality (promised for L3) being included in the paid for upgrade to L4 and subsequent releases thereof? Are you also able to confirm that this is as dictated by your CEO?

Thank you

Florian Albat

For me as a german user of Luminar 2018 and 3 and a developer myself that statements from Skylum are very clear.

Updates stay in one revision (L3 or L4).
    Perhaps L3 gets a performance and a small feature update but only until end of this year. A few people wrote this here.

Later releases mean the coming revisions (L5, L6, L7, L8).

We don't want to hear it and they don't want to write it.....

Kirk Osborn

We are going to add the support of IPTC metadata, search tool and some other features in Luminar 3 in the future updates. Please stay tuned.

Huw Parry

I bought L3 on the understanding that it would include a fully featured DAM in a future release. I hope this is still the case, although it does seem to be some doubt now. I believe Skylum have lost their way and the lack of any app on IOS is very disappointing , pushing many users to investigate other software. I have never known a developer dump so many great apps (Focus, Snapheal, Noiselsss etc) so soon.... :(

Colin Grant

If my theory is correct, there is no money to be made out of existing software that is well featured. There is no upgrade path. Much easier to dump the software and create something else.

Terry Rogers

Hi Colin! Let me try to shed some light on this. 

Luminar 4 will combine the features of both Luminar 3 and Flex and will be recommended as a standalone program as well as a plugin.

Luminar 3 will receive a free performance update in about one week time that will tackle the speed and stability issues of the software. Besides, IPTC and Search option are planned to be implemented in one of our later releases.

To our knowledge, Luminar Flex will not receive any more updates but we will continue supporting the app free of charge.

Geoffrey Hahn

Here's a link to a copy of the roadmap that was published in December, 2018.  I'm sharing only because I am not seeing all the things that are claimed to have been promised as "published in the road map last December".  The only promised features that I'm seeing on the page that aren't being mentioned at the moment are 1) virtual copies and 2) a Lightroom migration tool.  IPTC and Search features are still being promised.  This copy of the website was captured on 12/8/2018.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181208071503/https://skylum.com/luminar 

And, to be thorough, here's a grab from 12/30/2018:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190203005912/https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Oh, and before I forget, the IPTC/Search features are going to be added sometime in 2020 per some pretty darned clear postings here.  I'm not going to bother to go find those, but there hasn't been any ambiguity that I've seen.  There's going to be at least one more update, sometime in the next few weeks, that hopefully will finally address the performance issues, and at least one update in 2020 to add the IPTC/Search features.

Please sign in to leave a comment.