Luminar 4 ripoff

Comments

12 comments

Rob Strower

Well, as an owner of a previous version you pay $63,99 as an upgrade right now. That is a special offer for ON1 Photo Raw. A complete new customers pays 79,99 right now.

Hmmm, Luminar is still less expensive.

I don´t say I like the paying for every "new version" which are just updates which should and have to be for free in my opinion.

Special add ons should be payable but then please make it fair.

You need a special filter? (like sky exchange ie.) pay some extra $15 for that.

That would be more fair for us customers but I am just a user who really enjoys working with Luminar and I still see the potential it has.

All the best,

Robin 

Comment actions Permalink
    Helena Carter

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your feedback.

We will continue updating Luminar 3, including not just performance and compatibility, but DAM features themselves. We plan to publish an updated roadmap soon. Stay tuned!

Rob Strower

Thank you Helena for the info.

Besides obviously not being Donald xD.

I can´t wait for the updated/new roadmap.

Great news!

Donald Wyllie

I'd love to be proven wrong about Luminar for, despite my comments I do like it, it has potential. I would like to see it become a viable alternative to Lightroom. But Skylum moves in mysterious ways. We get time and effort spent on Flex which I fail to understand. Now we seem to be heading for 1st and 2nd class users. 1st Class buys Luminar 4 while us cheapskates are stuck with a second rate program. Why do we need L4? Perhaps it will go all out AI while, with luck, L3 will in time become a viable replacement for Lightroom. I.E. for those users who neither want nor need AI enhancements. I take Robin's point that if photographers need every bell and AI whistle to make good images, paying for this or that enhancement tool sounds reasonable. Those who only want a viable replacement for Lightroom should not have to pay for the bloatware.

Helena says that Skylum will continue improving performance of Luminar 3. I'm glad to hear it for Luminar 3 will be dead in the water if you don't.

I will await the roadmap. I see a usable Luminar 3 in maybe a couple of years at present rate of progress. About as good as Lightroom 6 which I currently use. However, I don't mind being proven wrong. It happens to me all the time! 

Brent Pate

I would like to see Skylum fix the existing product before trying to sell us on an upgrade.  there is still no integration between Aurora and Luminar, the DAM and performance still need a lot of work.  I quit using On1 because it felt like beta software and they kept wanting you to buy an ujpgrade. Looks like Skylum is headed that way too.  While i like Luminar, if they don't get 3 working right i think i am going to have to go back to lightroom/photoshop.

Karol Wieczorek

Unfortunately after last two or even three upgrades luminar 3 (2.9999999 ) is going down. This time is an  useless program. I lost a lot of time trying to work with this ****. Finally i had to back to the Corel After Shot ....yes you right SKYLUM ...pissoff customers of Lu*** 2,999999 and look for new guileless people. !!!!! You finish Kuminar 3 first pls !!!

Kirk Osborn

Luminar 4 is being developed right now, our tech team creates the app from scratch, all bug reports were investigated and the appropriate measures were taken. Please stay tuned.

Keith Chandler

But Skylum doesn't expose which tickets they are addressing, or what the fix will look like, so instead we wait for half a year to see if your team guessed correctly how something should be fixed.  Then if there's a problem with the implementation, it's another half year before you get to take another stab at it.  In the meantime the product engenders more ill will from the existing paid users and Skylum burns up more of their goodwill in the marketplace. 

And yet all of this could be avoided with just a little actual communication with your users.  When a user makes an observation about missing or incorrect functionality and goes to the effort to report that to you, you could simply engage with them in a meaningful conversation.  In that way you keep a supportive customer rather than alienating yet another user.

Donald Wyllie

Mr Osborn's comments are typical of Skylum. Peremptory and no real information, apart from the very scary, "creates the app from scratch." You created Luminar 3 after quite a few tries and it doesn't work very well. On this basis Luminar 4 could/will be a complete disaster. But you will have made some money in the interim.

"Stay tuned." You have to be joking Mr Osborn, many are tuning out. Why is it impossible for Skylum to tell potential users - i.e., people who have paid Skylum and are waiting patiently for a working version -  where you are going with Luminar 3? Is it because you don't know? Just so excited about AI you don't see what people actually want

Note to Skylum. Don't let Mr Osborn say anything else on this Forum until his English improves. But if his grasp of English is typical of Skylum employees it could explain the lack of action on feedback.  

Ron Lawrence

Personally, I think Skylum is trending downhill and is hoping for a cash infusion from first-timers and the gullible amongst us. If they don't get enough new buyers for L4 then they will either go back to Mac only or shut the doors.

Anna V

Hi Donald and Everybody, 

Let me try to clarify the situation:

The announcement of Luminar 4 doesn’t mean that we are going to abandon Luminar 3.

Luminar 3 will be updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised. Tne next update will be released within a week. 

IPCT support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users.

Regarding LR migration tool: we are not going to develop it on our own. Currently, we are conducting negotiations with our partners that will be able to develop the separate migration tool for LR users.

As we have already mentioned, we will update our roadmap soon and you will be able to check all the relevant info there.

Андрей Дубровин

IPCT is probably useful, but why is the program interface so poor? Where is the normal batch conversion? Where at least normal convenient and fast conversion of one file?

Please sign in to leave a comment.