Applying deghost introduces weird gray halos and tones

Comments

3 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ian,

What level of deghosting are you applying, and which exposure are you using as the reference?

Deghosting is one of those tools in which there is always a tradeoff - you can reduce the ghosting movement, but depending on the number of exposures captured and the amount of movement, there will be a loss in quality.

The reference photo chosen for the deghosting can also make a bit difference. In my outdoor HDR work I usually go with "low" deghosting and start with the middle exposure as the reference. I only move up to a higher level of deghosting if the ghosting effect is still substantial. Next I'll try choosing different reference exposures. While the middle is usually best, sometimes a brighter or darker one will produce better results.

It is something that can at times require some experimentation to get the best results and can really vary depending on the dynamic range of the scene, the number of exposures captured, and the number of stops between each exposure.

With your examples above, granted I'm not seeing them at full resolution, but based on what I can see I would not use deghosting at all. The first image looks great around the trees. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Ian Lipsky

i almost always use low deghosting and i think the lower ev - i'm not at home right now and i rarely change that particular setting so i'm not 100% sure what it's usually at. I played with that setting a while back and left it at the one that seemed to give the best results.

Typically, I may just have a handful of images out of a batch of images that need any deghosting. In many of the cases where deghosting cases a problem, there isnt any deghosting needed. But it would would eat up a chunk of time if i had to split up my batches of images by those that needed deghosting and those that didn't. 

in the example photos i included, deghosting was not needed. I just wish it would be intelligent enough to not mess up the image if not deghosting is needed. I realize it'll add some additional processing time per photo even if there's no deghosting. But it would still be faster then having to go through every image and sort them before running a batch. It essentially makes batch processing with deghosting useless for me.

Ian Lipsky

The more i use the deghosting the more i become convinced it really does not work well at all.  It just introduces way too much of this gray halo/shadowing into photos. Even where there is an actual need to deghost it very often introduces that grey effect.

going forward if i ever have a batch of photos that really need deghosting, I will just not use aurora. IMO this feature is broken

Please sign in to leave a comment.