Have you given up?

Comments

27 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Bengt,

Please note that Luminar 4 will be our biggest and most innovative release of Luminar.
    We get a lot of questions of why we are not adding Lr like features to Luminar. The answer is very simple - we don’t want to be like a Lightroom. Adobe has created a fantastic tool for creatives, and with Luminar we want to be different.
    We want to bring photographers new features and tools that will surprise, inspire and make photo editing more exciting.
    Around 50% of our current customers use Luminar as a plug-in for Adobe Suite and Apple Photos. We want to make sure that we bring all customers a real value - that’s why we focus on innovation.

At the same time, we are not laying aside our plans to bring already promised Library enhancements to Luminar 4. For now, we do know that IPTC editing will be available in Luminar 4 in the next year as a free update. More features will eventually come too, so please stay tuned! 

As for issues with Luminar 3: we will be dropping a performance update within a couple of weeks. I kindly invite you to try it out. 

Moreover, please feel free to get in touch with our team at https://skylum.com/support so that we could check your particular case. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

There is no doubt that Luminar was posturing as a Lightroom replacement - and I think there's still a very large market for such a thing, but increasingly I don't think Luminar will be that. The response from Kate Williams above seems to confirm that they've given up on that particular goal. I'm going to put my money on On1. It's already capable of importing my Lightroom catalog, complete with develop settings, keywords, metadata, etc. I launches much faster and generally seems better and more stable in many ways.

That being said, I do like some things about Luminar and will keep Luminar 3 around. I can't see giving them money for Luminar 4 though when they've failed so miserably with what they've promised for 3.

Bengt Håkansson

Ok Kate I understand. Luminar will not be a complete editor,  just a plugin for other programs.
    Then it is important that you come up with something really special to catch my interest.
    Not features where you replace some parts with work done by others.

I stay with Lightroom and use Luminar as a plugin.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Steve,

Please note that we don't abandon Luminar 3.

We will add some new functionality to the DAM that we have promised.

We will update the roadmap soon and you will be able to check it out. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Jack Over

I bought Luminar 3 a few months back since it seemed promising. But due to performance issues ( Even on a 64GB memory i7 hexacore with SSD ) I haven't used it a lot. I've edited like 5 photo's with it.

Now Luminar 4 is coming out, and I have to pay an additional amount to get the latest features. If I'd know that the focus was on getting Luminar 4 out I would not have bought L3 and waited for the L4 release.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Jack,

In case if you have just purchased Luminar 3 please contact us directly via

http://www.skylum.com/support  and we will definitely figure something out for you! 

Vance Zachary

This news comes as a disappointment to many of us 50% of users who use Luminar as a plugin with hopes of, one day, Luminar having enough features to migrate away from Adobe subscriptions but also disappointment for the other 50% of Luminar users who are currently making do with Luminar 3 as a standalone while waiting patiently on the features announced with the roadmap published last December.

Optimism for many of us was high early last December and now low in late July.

This change of direction, I'm sure, while pleasing some, will dash a lot of user hopes for Luminar as a Lightroom alternative as well as disappointing those hoping for a well featured DAM.

As far as Luminar 4, the AI sky replacement is an interesting idea but will be of limited use if we can't use our own skies.

Looking forward to hearing about the other Luminar 4 features.

Terry Rogers

Hi Vance! Luminar 4 will combine the features of Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex making it a versatile software that can be used both standalone and as a plugin. At the same time, we're not giving up on Luminar 3 as it will receive a free update later this month. 

Please find a video about Luminar 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VlB8Aij4Vs&t=524s that will shed a light on the new AI Sky Replacement Tool. The rest of the new features of Luminar 4 will be announced later this fall. Please stay tuned.

The plans for Luminar 4 so far reduce Luminar from being an aspiring LR replacement down to a mere gimmicky plugin to LR. Yes, when you say, you focus on innovation you're just saying you've given up on bread & butter functionality for us photographers. Thinking about it, the promotion of Flex already told the very same story.

Collin Moore

"The answer is very simple - we don’t want to be like a Lightroom."

Then why did all of your advertising say it was? Seriously it was marketed for nearly a year as a "lightroom replacement".

Erwin Kargl
    • "We get a lot of questions of why we are not adding Lr like features to Luminar. The answer is very simple - we don’t want to be like a Lightroom. Adobe has created a fantastic tool for creatives, and with Luminar we want to be different."

What shall I say ... I bought Luminar 2018 because your perfect advertising anounced Luminar 3 as a Lightroom replacement, I got a copy for my brother, one for my wive ... and now you tell me/us that it´s not!?!? If I can´t replace Lightroom with Luminar 3 / 4 I will be off.

Erwin

Geoffrey Hahn

Erwin - Could you please provide verifiable citations for your assertion that Luminar was advertised as a "Lightroom replacement"?  I don't recall that specific term being used in any advertising, and the only comparison I recall with Adobe products it that you didn't have to pay a monthly subscription to use the software.  Reviewing the wayback machine captures of the Skylum website, I have so far found no such promise.  Perhaps there are posts on facebook or in these forums that you can cite to verify your claims?  I haven't found any so far, but I'm not searching very hard.  I do see where customers have assumed that including a DAM would automatically and magically make Luminar a Lightroom replacement, but again, I simply haven't seen evidence to date that Skylum itself made this claim, and I'd like to see it with my own eyes.

Erwin Kargl

Can it be, that my post from yesterday disapeared??? So here once again:

@Geoffrey:

"If you’re considering making the switch from Lightroom because you don’t like its comparatively unintuitive interface, then Luminar is the best alternative you can find." ... Luminar is number 1 suggestion out of nine.

What for a "Lightroom Migration Tool", as for switching from Lightroom to Luminar.

Erwin

Tim Stahmer

For the record, I never wanted or expected Luminar to be a "Lightroom replacement". Lightroom is a professional tool (with a professional price) and far more features than I need or want.

I am simply a photography enthusiast who takes lots of pictures and needs software that can quickly organize, process, and upload the day's shoot. For many years that was Aperture and I was hoping Luminar would be a replacement for that program. That seemed to be the goal, based on the stated plans of the developers when they announced Libraries.

Although Luminar is moving in that direction, the program still has far to go. The editing features are already outstanding but the heavily promoted "sky replacement" planned for version 4 is one that I will never use. Instead of gimmicks like this, I hope you will put more effort into improving the image management features, like editing EXIF information and uploading to various web services. Even free software like Apple's Photos can edit the title, description, keywords, and location of an image.

Geoffrey Hahn

Unfortunately, Erwin, the page you provided is titled

Looking for a Lightroom Alternative? Consider These Nine!

(Italics added bymyself.)  That's not saying that Luminare would be a replacement for Lightroom.  There is a huge difference between Alternative and Replacement.  Yes, the Virtual Copies feature and the Lightroom Migration Tool seem to have been shelved, but those are in the Planned section of the old Roadmap.  That was, in my opinion, a mistake on Skylum's marketing team, to state what they were going to try and accomplish by the end of the year.  But, you know what?  That same screen shot that you've provided clearly shows that they have until the end of the year, and it also clearly states "Planned" - not "Under Development".  Plans can change, and timetables on planned features can - and often do - shift.  Maybe one of the moderators can provide an update on these planned features for Luminar 3?  

Geoffrey Hahn

To Tim Stahmer - Skylum has Skylum publicly indicated they would provide support for "uploading to various web services"?  As far as editing EXIF, I believe the update that will be coming out in 2020 for Luminar 3 will be addressing that issue.  Moderators - am I incorrect in this assumption?

Steve Ratts

@Geoffrey

What do you think an alternative is? If I’ve got A and B is marketed as an alternative then presumably I could replace A with B assuming that B in fact is an alternative. So just because that post used the world alternative you’re going to quibble on the point?

Splitting hairs aside, there are still some things I like about Luminar and I really do hope they someday succeed, but not by redefining success as being far less than what they previously aspired to be. There’s a real market for a Lightroom alternative and the technical problems Skylum has encountered are entirely solvable provided the actually spend their energy to solve them.

Geoffrey Hahn

Steve Ratts - "Alternative" is not a synonym of "Replacement".  It's not hair splitting, it's English.  So, yes, I quibble.

I'm curious, though.  What would you consider to be an adequate LR replacement?  What features does Luminar need to reach that stage, in your opinion?  I'm not trying to bait you - I really want to find out what you'd like Luminar to become.  No, I'm not a schill for Skylum, I'm just a fairly satisfied customer who sees no reason to update to L4 at this time.

Collin Moore

Grammar police!!

It is clear Skylum’s intentions with whatever word they used, they were attempting to compete with Lightroom.

In terms of features:
    Let’s start with a functional DAM in terms of performance and reliability.

Once functional, perhaps keyword search, meta tagging, IPTC/EXIF support, GPS tagging, batch watermark exporting, regrouping based on tags, captions, virtual copies, burst shot selection awareness (use AI to find shorts worth importing), and auto advance on pick/reject.

This is off the top of my head waiting for a meeting. I’m sure others have a long list.

Geoffrey Hahn

More of an English Nazi than grammar police, but that's neither here nor there.  My point here is that if you don't know what the word that you are using means, you don't really know what you're saying, plain and simple.

While the features that you've listed would be nice to have, only two have actually been mentioned by Skylum.  We know that IPTC is coming sometime in 2020, and only virtual copies seems to have fallen off the map.  It's the first iteration of their DAM, so one would expect that if they choose to continue developing it, their DAM will at some point in the future have more features, and perhaps some of the ones that you list will be included.  There is absolutely no point, though, in complaining about features that you would like but have never once been promised in the current product release

Collin Moore

Since I paid for a working DAM in 2017 that was to be out “soon” which turned into an entire year, only to be non-functional. And now you are suggesting we should be ok waiting another year?

Considering how much the promoted the DAM and what they ended up shipping would be embarrassing by most software companies and some would consider it fraudulent.

If you are happy with Skylum playing the “focus shift” every six month and giving you another “special upgrade offer” without any details but just trust, go right ahead. Some of us aren’t falling for it.

Kate Williams

Hi everyone, 

Here's what will be coming in both in Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 as free updates: IPCT support, Search tool, new cameras support. Some other features will be implemented as well. 

As far as Lightroom migration tool is concerned: at the moment, we're negotiating with our partners who will develop a migration tool for our customers. Once the negotiation process is over and we have more information regarding that, we'll let you know. 

We will update our roadmap soon and all the relevant information will be available there.

Please be patient with us and keep on the lookout for future news and updates.

Everyone,

just look at the very first comment in this thread here. There's just another one, who's - despite his tiredness against people who're complaining (see comment #3) - vividly complaining about people, who're complaining.

In his ultimate believe, that Skylum is in utter need of his speech for defense against us complaining people he's given enough insight to know that there's no mutual consent to be expected. Therefore I propose to let his babble rest in peace.

It's up to Skylum whether they invest into their customers' confidence or not. They don't need Geoffrey to patronize the community.

Dieter Wollscheid

The slow progress in the DAM development creates a real issue for Mac LR users.

We will see the going live of the next operating system release 10.15 in some months. As far as I understand his will be the hard end of the last non-subscription version of LR, Version 6. 

Naturally Luminar will prepare for this OS update with Luminar 3.2. But with the strategy change from the DAM promise to "AI Sky" features a marketing chance has gone. 

Christian Poulton

Don't forget that with the next Apple OS release we won't be able to run Aperture anymore either. I was hoping that I could replace Aperture with Luminar but that now appears to be a pipe dream.

James Heywood

I was tired of paying Adobe for a complicated program   Photoshop and was happy to have a replacement for Aperture.

Photos if a fine simple basic program and Siri makes finding images easy.  I use Luminar and Hdr 19 quite a bit.  Like the layers but dont need a DAM. But I would like to stack and stitch images.  
    The sky replacement is a useless thing to me..Agree with the comments that the result is no longer my image.  Are you guys paying any attention to your customers.  There are other options.

Lennart

I'm betting on affinity (serif) who have delivered EXCELLENT photoshop and illustrator replacements with affinity designer and affinity photo, to eventually create a DAM as well.

They probably faster starting from scratch than skylum is adding some simple, basic functionality to what they have today.

Please sign in to leave a comment.