Just purchased - and now a new update for 49 bucks?

Comments

12 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jürgen Meier,

I understand your concern, but please know that Luminar 4 will not be released until late autumn, and the upgrade is completely optional. We will still continue to support Luminar 3, including free updates between now and the end of the year.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jürgen Meier

Angela, I guess You do not realy understand what I mean. From my point of view it is a litle bit rude to charge users with 49 bucks after they purchased your software. Other companies offer updates at much more reasonable prices. I will definitely not buy the update.

Kirk Osborn

The upgrade is absolutely optional. It is up to you whether to stick to your current version or to go ahead with Luminar 4.

We can assure you that we will continue to support Luminar 3 in terms of performance and compatibility. For instance, the next update will be released within a few weeks. Speed improvements alongside some new functionality will be implemented.

Jürgen Meier

As I mentioned before - from my point of view this is a rude update price. A grace period is that  what other companies offer.  And You make money!

I will definitely not buy the update.

Roger Salvesen

I have just pre-ordered the update to Luminar 4 and must share my mixed feelings.

While I appreciate receiving a discount for pre-owning Luminar 3. I also notice the price of the software and upgrades year over year has increased brining it somewhat close to the price of the competitive programs Luminar sought to best. My upgrade price was CDN $89.00 (up from $59.00) and I recall buying Aperture (full app) back in the day for $75.00 and Lightroom I think used to be $150.00 there about. I understand the cost of development but the value added aspect of Luminar seems to be perhaps less the focus compared with feature creep.

So I am certainly going on faith that this upgrade cost will be more than just "sky replacement". and while I am excited to see the update I can completely understand Jürgen's feelings on the matter.

Then there is the matter of, is this an Update or a separate app?  As with the original Luminar and then Luminar 2018 the releases seem to be supported in parallel  existing simultaneously as opposed to replacing each other. I agree with Jürgen that if a customer purchases within a reasonable range of an upgrade they should get a reduced cost. Otherwise why is purchasing better than subscription? If we are still paying close to $100.00 per year?

I like Luminar quite a lot but more than ever Skylum needs to up front reward the customers that support them. Building trust and loyalty is so important today more than ever.!

Cheers

Roger

Martin Connolly

It is a hollow boast to say that a product is subscription-free, when paid updates come along at regular intervals. I fail to see how Luminar 4 will be a separate product. Surely it’s just the next bit of  extra function? And Skylum, please get the bugs, crashed, and speed issues in L3 fixed. You’ve promised so much but run ahead like excited puppies in pursuit of the next cool feature, instead of delivering a solid product.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

Let me try to clarify the situation:

The announcement of Luminar 4 doesn’t mean that we are going to abandon Luminar 3.

Luminar 3 will be updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised.

IPCT support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users.

Regarding LR migration tool: we are not going to develop it on our own. Currently, we are conducting negotiations with our partners that will be able to develop the separate migration tool for LR users.

Please check the roadmap here: 

https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

Jürgen Meier

You forgot to mention one not unimportant thing:

The update phase of version 3 ends with december 2019.

It is quite obvious that an update fee is due here instead of the annual subscription applied by ADOBE. I'm looking forward to the next update "Luminar 5", which will definitely come next year.

Roger Salvesen

Actually I will add that Anna's comment that Luminar 3 will still receive updates and performance improvements is admittedly a good thing! I think if Skylum indeed makes good on its promise to L3 users it is the right thing to do as a first priority! 

In this way it does differ from a subscription as in the user can choose to stop upgrading for a cycle while their current version will still get Raw updates and maintenance. For how long one can only guess and choose to trust but it should continue to work as 2018 does.

However...My observation is for those who want to move forward every year with Luminar's best new features the usually annual upgrade price is each year a bit closer to the same cost as a yearly subscription. especially in Canada where the $ is at a disadvantage. What attracted me to Luminar in the beginning was the low price or the program and the updates. 

So unfortunately to many it might seem like Buying an update to Luminar 4 is like starting over again buying new software and what seemed like a fun iPhoto pro like app has grown up and out of reach to some degree cost wise.

This unfortunately is the cost of progress and development. For me Luminar 3 continues to work well on My iMac and the results are very good indeed so I'm very excited to learn what else in coming in Luminar 4

Ill close by saying those too disapointed  to upgrade might consider to keep what version they have and if they need to use something else for a bit I recommend this to gain some perspective on what works best.

Cheers

Roger

David J Lima

>Then there is the matter of, is this an Update or a separate app?

In terms of marketing and incentive, it's a fantastic must-do, but if you're complaining about upgrade costs and unmet promises, then it's a separate "optional" app. THis is called "gaslighting." Keeping up with bug fixes and raw updates to Luminar 3 is not what I would call adding features.

Whatever Skylum is, they're not dummies. People sat in a meeting room and calculated the fallout from this approach, and it was decided that the opportunity to monetize the sky replacement was just too good to pass up. And likely that after the initial blow back, things would settle down.

"..but this will make many of our customers angry."

"...It's ok, just tell them it's an optional upgrade. A year from now it will be forgotten."

"...what about the fully featured DAM we promised them way back in Luminar 2018?"

"...nevermind that."

This kind of corporate malfeasance is too much. Skylum has decided that managing customer disappointment is a more profitable business plan than building a loyal and dedicated customer base. I've moved on. Enjoy your $49 sky replacement update.

Maryna Skylum

Hi David,

Releasing annual upgrades isn't something we haven't done before.

Historically, we release free updates and paid major version upgrades every year (deeply discounted for current users).

Yes, you're right, you are under no obligation to purchase and your current version will continue to function.

Oliver Marten

Itˋs time to say goodbye skylum, nice try and it Looks like a supscription model like photoshop, Customer have to buy every year a new minor version...sorry, but in this case i will use the industy Standard from adobe which works perfect 

Please sign in to leave a comment.