Underwater Photo

Comments

3 comments

Kate Williams

Hi,

Sure - Luminar offers a wide range of professional filters that will bring you great results in any kind of photography.

You'll be able to regulate blacks-and-whites, the saturation and vibrance, tune individual colors, and many more. All the adjustments can be applied to all the picture as well as to its part.

You can find out more information about all the filters Luminar 3 has in Chapter 15 of our user guide: https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-15-essential-filters

Comment actions Permalink
    Daniel L

Hi Richy,

I´m also a diver; my approach is to save looks for different depths (5m, 7m, 9m etc.). Once you have you adjustments for the desired depth you can save them as look and apply them as needed. For example I push red colors harder after 10 meters compared to 5 meters (because red looses it´s color first after 10m).

This is the only special underwater adjustment I use. Rest depends on the picture.

Olympus TG6 with underwater case.

EDIT: I also have looks for lakes (more clarity) and sea (more saturation). This makes editing easy

Cheers
    Daniel

Steve Ratts

Hi Richy

I’m an underwater photographer too. I don’t save looks based on depth only because there are a lot of other factors and what works well for one depth on one dive may not be the same for the same depth in different conditions.

Generally speaking you may want to start with adjusting white balance for the depth. You can do this by selecting a gray object like sand or a scuba tank. It seems I get better results doing this in Lightroom, but the same technique can be used in Luminar. You may find you need to also adjust temp and tint to get things sorted out.

There is a technique for fixing colors using hue saturation and luminance as well. With this you drag the aqua hue slider toward blue. Then the aqua saturation slider toward desaturated (left). Then the aqua luminance slider toward brighter (right). This can help with subjects like sharks

Once you’ve got things sorted out on one shot you may want to synchronize the settings from that shot across others from the same dive at or near the same depth.

One filter I like to experiment with is the sun rays filter if I was shooting on a clear day and was fairly shallow. Under those conditions it’s possible to get a true sun rays effect without the filter if you had a small aperture and were shooting up, but the true effect doesn’t always jump out (boosting clarity helps). You can use the sun rays filter to accentuate the real thing or to add them when they would have been there had your settings been different. In other circumstances it just looks fake so play around and see what you like and what works best for you.

Another good trick is switching to black and white for wrecks of sharks. If you just can’t quite get the white balance sorted out and the colors just seem wrong, then switching to B&W can make for a dramatic and beautiful image without the distracting color cast

Best of luck up you

Please sign in to leave a comment.