I am NOT upgrading to Luminar 4, here's why.

Answered

Comments

43 comments

Lukas Labryszewski

I've given up on the software about a month after I bought it... Tried it again on my new Macbook Pro 16" 32 GB i9 and it's still slow as molasses. Also randomly forgets my edits on various images and crashes.

What a waste of money.

Luminar 3 is aggravating to use because of the random forgetting of edits and just sluggish performance on RAW images. Filters can be somewhat useful.

Found this searching if it's worth upgrading to Luminar 4, but guess I'll save my money. Feel ripped off buying beta software that never got fixed.

Luminar 4 should be at least a free upgrade as Luminar 3 is unusable.

Comment actions Permalink
    Marco Foresti

Luminar 4 should be at least a free upgrade because many of us bought Luminar 3 for a working DAM capability that never arrived, but comes as a paid upgrade in Luminar 4.

What a shame!

yep - definitely feel cheated. I gave up on L3 and, having looked around, went with ON1. Never looked back. Not perfect, but then what is. Regardless, it's way better than L3. Won't be paying for L4 to be disappointed again. Once bitten....

I also agree with Lukas and Marco. Being asked to pay again for something that was promised in the previous purchase is cheeky at best and just plain bad customer service. You'd think Skylum would have the brains to provide free upgrades in an attempt to keep (or regain) dissatisfied customers.

Austin Miller

Hi all. Please note that we do not abandon Luminar 3 and will continue supporting it. We plan on adding Keywords, IPTC data, Lightroom Migration Tool in 2020 both to Luminar 3 and Luminar 4. 

We're doing our best to provide our customers with the greatest photo editing experience and even beyond.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed.

It's a painstaking process, but we're getting there.

Gary Sibio

>> Hi all. Please note that we do not abandon Luminar 3 and will continue supporting it. We plan on adding Keywords, IPTC data, Lightroom Migration Tool in 2020 both to Luminar 3 and Luminar 4. <<

That's like putting a new paint job on an Edsel.

What good does it do to add new features to something that doesn't work in the first place. I gave up on L3 shortly after it came out. I got Flex because you gave it away for free and, surprisingly, it was a decent product. When L4 came out I upgraded. I asked for my money back and deleted it from my computer.

Either make something that works or open up a coffeeshop.

Gary

Austin Miller

Hi all!

Following-up with you regarding our development plans.

At the moment, we know for sure that Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 will get a new Search tool in one of the nearest updates.

The enthusiasts from Cyme have also created a Lightroom migration tool for you: https://cyme.io/ (N.B. Now it works only for Luminar 4 and macOS).

In 2020, we're also researching our market as well as the opinions of our artists regarding the rest of the features such as IPTC and keywording in order to form a clear vision of how exactly they will be implemented. For now, this functionality is yet to be added to our development to-do list for the next couple of updates.

As much as we'd love to state for sure that these two features will be added in 2020, we cannot promise that.

Providing you with a combo of cutting-edge AI-powered tools (our main focus), greater stability, and better performance, new camera support takes a significant amount of time. In fact, more than expected. Hence, there indeed may be a delay in our development course. I'm sorry for that.

We do hear you, however, and feel your pain about the lack of the basic DAM features. It's planned to implement them step-by-step in the future, for sure.

The research is being carried out right now, and we are really looking forward to providing you with good news in some time.

Marco Foresti

Hi Austin,

it's great to know that you are focused on cutting-edge AI-powered that let us making something awesome like putting elephants in the sky (-> you ads), but unfortunately I (and others, I'm sure) bought L3 for using it in a daily workflow where main focus are DAM, performances and reliability. It can be boring, but that's the case, simply.

Take the time you need for implementing a basic DAM. Since in the meantime I still have to pay costs, mortgages etc I had to buy a different software for running my business. By the way, I uninstalled L3 and it's very, very hard that I'll give it one more try ... so from my point of view you have a lot of time to give a basic DAM to the world.

Regards, Marco

Erwin Kargl

Enough is enough.

It´s one month Luminar 4.3 is not working correctly ... and yes it´s working on my pc, but it´s slow like ... ! Before Luminar did not export layers exporting from the library view, just one by one in the edit view ... unusable. So all together its about half a year Luminar was not working correctly for me.

Export: ONE image takes about one minute to export ... guess how long 120 images take to export.

EDITING: waiting for images to get loaded to be able to edit them ... about 20 secondes each.

DAM: DAM was announced with Luminar 3 to replace Lightroom, ... and nothing in this direction, LR migration tool was announced, editing keywords, search and so on ... but nearly nothing happened in this direction.

SUPPORT: I am tired hearing about blaming costumers hardware ... :-/

BETA-Testing: since more than two years now a lot of people, including me, offerd their help with beta testing ... Skylum never opend this up ... BUT all users are paying beta-testers

TIRED: I am tired about helping a company, where no real response comes.

SAD: I WAS a big fan of Luminar, but now I am really done with it.

Maybe I will check back in some time (end of public paying beta test in one or two years?), but for now it´s enough.

All the best to skylum. If you want costumers, then be honest to them and dont treat them as "beta-testers" and deliver a proper working software to the world.

Erwin

Erwin Kargl

Ohhhhh ... pending approval .. why this???

Angela Andrieux

Hi Erwin,

Sometimes the system flags certain messages as containing offensive language, but sometimes it makes mistakes (for instance if a word it deems offensive is part of another word with a completely different meaning). We check the pending messages throughout the day and approve them if they meet the community guidelines. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience when this happens.

Erwin Kargl

@Angela
    As I see Skylum is afraid of feedback of angry people. Please make sure to check the support emails, didn't hear anything since more then two weeks now.
    Erwin

Helga Rowles

Hi Erwin, please make sure to check your spam folder. Our last reply was sent on August 12.
    We will do our best to reply to your last email as soon as possible.

Please sign in to leave a comment.