I am NOT upgrading to Luminar 4, here's why.

Comments

28 comments

Gary Sibio

I'm giving them one more chance.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about Luminar is the differences between the Windows and Mac versions. They should both have the same features and it's not enough to tell us which platforms do both. It tells me that they are really not all that interested in Windows.

Gary

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

@Gary, so you are fine with them abandoning all their current plans in favour of one click AI mangling of your images because the artists they polled said so?

Gary Sibio

Calm down, K.G. Breathe.

What part of giving them one more chance implies that I'm happy with their policies. I live in Chicago and a good portion of the year we have very crappy skies. This sky replacement thing is very intriguing to me. If it is the disaster that I think the current AI Sky Enhancer is, then I'm done with them.

Gary

• Chuck Perry, I support you on this. same experience here. Luminar failed... BIG TIME... After promising performance improvements, the Skylum team only focused on new features, that didn't really matter. Even after owning a top end system, Luminar 3 hangs, crashes etc etc.... and the worst part... they forgot about us and anounced Luminar 4.

Luminar Team, I need a refund. I didn't pay you for an alpha level software.

Peter Seibt

Es ist schon echt schade, dass ihr mit euren ständigen Versprechungen, was Luminar 3 bis zum Jahresende alles können soll, den Mund so voll genommen habt und nun eben doch nicht liefern könnt. Seit Herbst 2018 warte ich auf ein Update, mit dem ich auch nur annähernd durchgängig arbeiten kann. Mit wirkungsvollen Vorankündigungen seid ihr ja nicht gerade sparsam umgegangen. Doch die Wirklichkeit sieh nun leider doch ganz anders aus, alles leeren Versprechungen von Skylum. Quälende Trägheit, unerklärliche Systemabstürtze zu Haufe, ein Fotoverwaltung die mit sich selbst beschäftigt ist und gar nicht ans Arbeiten denkt, verzögerte Reaktionen an den Schiebereglern.

Das alles haben wir in Kauf genommen, denn man hat uns ja in eurem Roadbook immer wieder versprochen, dass die dort aufgeführten Updates noch in diesem Jahr (2019) für Luminar 3 kommen sollen. Die im Roadbook angeführte Übernahme der Lightroom-Bildeinstellungsparameter in den Luminar-Katalog war für mich eines "der wichtigsten Kaufargumente", damit ich bei einem angestrebten Wechsel von Lightroom auf Luminar nicht die ganze Entwicklungsarbeit an meinen tausenden Fotos noch einmal durchführen muss.

Was wird denn jetzt aus diesen zahlreichen Verbesserungen, die ihr euren Kunden versprochen habt? Momentan sieht es jedenfalls so aus, als ob wir diese Features nur bekommen, wenn wir das neue Luminar 4 kaufen und da bin ich raus. Einmal verarschen reicht mir, dann bleibe ich lieber bei meiner LR 2016 Version, die läuft wenigstens. Außerdem gibt es ja noch andere gute RAW-Entwickler wie ACDSee, Capture One oder ON1. Die ganzen Spielereien an denen ihr ständig herum bastelt brauche ich eh nicht. Eine vernünftige Performance und Zuverlässigkeit wären mir persönlich wesentlich wichtiger.

Nee nee liebe Skylum-Freunde, so geht das nicht. Versprechen sollte man einhalten, ansonsten verliert man das Vertrauen seiner Kunden. Ich habe euch beim Kauf der Luminar 3 Software den Vertrauensvorschuss gegeben und habe euren vollmundigen Ankündigungen glauben geschenkt. Und was habe ich jetzt davon? Ich habe in meinem Bekanntenkreis für Luminar 3 viel Werbung gemacht und  stehe nun zum Dank dafür bei meinen Freunden recht Doof und unglaubwürdig da.

Ich habe mit harten Euro´s bezahlt und man hat mir die Beta-Version von einer Software-Vision verkauft. Schade, dass die Rückzahlungsgarantie schon abgelaufen ist!

Ciao Skylum! Meiner Vorstellung nach habt ihr die falsche Strategie gewählt.

Marco Foresti

@Peter: You make me work with Google Translate but what I immediatly understand and agree (since I'm italian) is "Ciao Skylum" :-)

Me too will not upgrade to L4.

Skylum, *** we are still waiting for a working DAM in L3 *** and now you propose a PAID upgrade to L4?!?!?! Please understand that you do not have the credibility to ask for more money.

Furthermore, it looks that your focus is not on resolving L3 problems, but somewhere else. Maybe you are targeted to a different kind of customer, not pro.

That's all. My experience with L3 stops here. At the end of my Adobe subscription my DAM will be On1 Photo Raw. I'll keep my L3 license and maybe use Flex, but never invest more on it.

michael durkin

Whilst I agree and support all the complaints and refusal to be taken for mugs any longer I feel I should warn others regarding ON1..

This is another bug-ridden non functioning scam (at least regarding the windows version).  Just as ‘Team Skylum’(!) is now attempting it, ON1 have been operating the old ‘pay per ’update’ (bugfix), lucrative scam already.

Is Adobe - that at least delivers on its performance statements -  really that much of a rip-off  when compared to these two shady outfits?

Perhaps these companies once sold second hand – sorry, sorry! Pre-owned cars for a living..

Bryan Drum

I have paid for and not received a stable product, no way will I spend more money on an inferior product. I am not sure how Luminar is okay with charging for an upgrade when they haven’t released a finished product since their move to Windows. Where is the QA team? Why are they doing a major version upgrade when the prior version isn’t working. I will pay my Adobe subscription, at least it works.

Roman Buss

Luminar 3 is a disaster. Nothing is going right. It's a slap in the face for all buyers of Luminar 3 that upgraded a paid program to a new version, which has to be paid again. I don't trust this software anymore. So I will certainly not update to version 4 if not even version 3 does satisfactory work. I hoped that Skylum would learn from its mistakes, but seemingly the business is more important than a satisfied customer. The great announced tools in Luminar simply don't work satisfactorily.

Perhaps the makers of Luminar will reconsider their decisions. With so many complaints and dissatisfied customers this should actually happen.

Kate Williams

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. 

The marketing research has shown that the majority of our customers like automatic enhancements most, that is why we decided to make the development of new AI features our top priority. Luminar 4 will be a brand new app with a bunch of innovative AI features which bring your editing process to the next level. We developed unique technologies to enhance your images like never before. Step by step we will reveal all the bells and whistles Luminar 4 acquires.

To upgrade to Luminar 4 or not is your decision. Our lifetime licenses will allow you to use the software for an unlimited period of time. Fully realizing that some of our artists would like to keep using Luminar 3 even after the official Luminar 4 release, we are already planning Luminar 3 updates.
    At the moment, our team is putting all their efforts into making your experience with Luminar 3 better.
    That is why just within a couple of weeks we'll release the next update that will bring you better performance and greater stability. Again, let me reassure you that we are not laying Luminar 3 aside now, so please stay tuned for future updates.

Both Luminar 3 and Flex will be supported in terms of stability, performance, and compatibility. 

As for the Library enhancements - we never abandoned the plans to implement them in Libraries. Luminar as a platform will acquire them in the future. 

Thank you for bearing with us so far. 

Roman Buss

Dear @Kate

Thanks for your feedback. But I just have the problem that I don't really trust all your announcements promised with keywords like innovative, next level etc. anymore. The functions are all super, great, amazing, bring me to the next level, but the software is not stable enough to keep it at a comfortable speed even for a short time. If you're building software for mac users, just let it go. or you decide to market it for windows, but bring something that runs stable and at an acceptable speed.
    So I'm looking forward to the next LU3 updates and hope that they will also contribute to the stability of the software. only to keep adding new tools is easy if you don't put any emphasis on their stability. Just my 5 cents.

David Roe

Kate, Kate, Kate:

Do you really believe all the hype the programming staff is selling you? 

Do you really believe the BS you write?

You got my money once, you delivered software that did not deliver.  Now you want me to believe that L4 will be some state of the art program I want to throw more money at?

Nope.  You never delivered on L3 as promised.  If in fact you never abandoned the plans to get L3 right where are the goods?

Fix L3 to be what was promised.  Make it work all the time not just some of the time. 

Yo get no more of my cash.  You get no kind words when asked in forums about your product except Buyer Beware.

You talk about your artists ....  well all you are doing is taking their money and making them starving artists while you do nothing more than make promises and make deposit to the bank.

I do not like subscription software.  Thankfully these is Topaz who delivers and has excellent customer service.  Add ON1 to the list as software that works.  You are the best thing to happen for Adobe.....  they should pay you for keeping folks on their platform when you never delivered what you sold.

Want to make the list.  Deliver what you promised with L3 and then maybe you will get back some trust and oh sales......

Marco Foresti

@Kate

That's great! So the "Lightroom replacement" that you used one year ago to attract new customers (like me) si no longer in your goals and marketing says that's better to make AI software for cell people to help them to make "beautiful" a dull photo.

Thanks so much, now it's more clear for me. I'd ask for a refund if in time, but I trusted you and the time for that is over. My fault!

Regards

Rob Strower

Which also means we don´t get ANY new library features in Luminar 3.

Thank you for clearing that.

That was a new one for me.

Regards,

Robin

Peter Seibt

Das Verhalten von Skylum erklärt auch, warum die Roadmap auf einmal von der offiziellen "Luminar 3"-Homepage verschwunden ist. So kann man hinterher behaupten, dass sich diese Ankündigungen nicht auf L3, sondern auf das gesamte Luminar-Projekt beziehen würden. Auf diese Weise kann sich dann auch kein User mehr auf die vielen, leeren Versprechungen der produktbezogenen Roadmap, die ja regelmäßig seit dem Verkaufsstart von Skylum gemacht wurden, berufen. So schnell kann man die rechtliche Sachlage aus dem Weg räumen.

Für all diejenigen, die sich an diese Ankündigungen nicht mehr so richtig erinnern können, hier ein Auszug aus der Roadmap von der Luminar 3-Homepage:

Raw + JPG (Luminar Libraries) -

Sie können bequemer mit Raw- und JPG-Versionen desselben Bildes arbeiten. Als einzelnes Bild anzeigen, aber in Echtzeit zwischen den Versionen wechseln.

Virtuelle Kopien (Luminar-Bibliotheken) -

Sie können Versionen eines Fotos mit unterschiedlichen Stilen, Anpassungen, Bearbeitungsverläufen usw. erstellen. Dies ist besonders nützlich, wenn Sie das gleiche Bild unterschiedlich aussehen lassen möchten.
        IPTC edit & sync (Luminar Libraries) - Sie können die IPTC-Kerninformationen bearbeiten. Erstellen Sie außerdem benutzerdefinierte Voreinstellungen für IPTC-Daten und synchronisieren Sie diese Voreinstellungen über mehrere Bilder hinweg.

Versteckte Funktionen (Powered by AI) -

Wir arbeiten an weiteren intelligenten Tools mit künstlicher Intelligenz, um Ihnen mehr Möglichkeiten bei der Bearbeitung von Porträts und Architekturen zu bieten. Objekte entfernen oder einfach Masken auf Ihre Bilder anwenden.

Lightroom-Migrationstool -

Sie können Ihre Daten und Bilder von Adobe Lightroom nach Skylum Luminar verschieben.

Intelligente Suche (Luminar-Bibliotheken) -

Mithilfe von Schlüsselwörtern, EXIF-Informationen und Dateinamen können Sie das gewünschte Bild schnell finden

Für mich war das Lightroom-Migrationstool "das" entscheidene Kaufargument. Leider werde ich es wohl niemals benutzen können, denn für diese betrügerischen Geschäftsmodelle der Firma Skylum ist mir mein Geld viel zu schade.

Les Cornwell

Is there any chance you will be able to open .CR3 files in Luminar 4  ???

Frank Fiorentino

If the majority of your customers want automatic enhancements then I am definitely not your target customer. I don't shoot RAW only to have one click adjustments.  In my opinion, all this AI is nonsense and just another buzzword that will hopefully be gone soon. The best thing about Luminar is that I did not waste too much money and you have helped me realize that there is no reason to look beyond LR/PS (which I have been using for over 10 years).

Anastasia Davis

@Les We are working on it. Still, there is no exact info.
    @Frank Luminar gives you absolute freedom in the editing process of your pictures. The AI filters we implement can be a starting point for your creativity. It is not about just using one AI filter. For some people, it is enough, for others - it is just the beginning. 

michael durkin

Ha,ha! Has any one else noticed that now they've got the ladies to fend off our comments and complaints in the hope that we'll be too gentlemanly to get angry? They cower beneath their desks while making two women take all the flac.

How low can this outfit get?

Skylum. We might be old school but we ain't daft..

Gary Sibio

Michael Durkin,

I finally got my refund but I had to go back and forth with them. I tried being nice but I lost my temper with them when they offered me a copy of Flex if I didn't cancel my order. If they had checked their records, they would have seen that I already have a copy of Flex. Besides, based on what I'm reading in other threads, Flex is a dead end product. If we can use L4 as a plug-in, why do we need Flex?

I might have kept my order but I started thinking about the AI Sky Enhancer and Accent AI 2.0. AI Sky Enhancer has not exactly blown my socks off and Accent AI 2 isn't that big an improvement over 1. (IMO, your mileage may vary.) Then I watched Jim Nix's video about the AI Sky Replacement which starts with Jim saying that he doesn't have access to it but had some images from Skylum. Why in the world should I be impressed with those? (Not Jim Nix's fault. He went with what he had. Skylum should have given him the tool.) So, rather than be disappointed again, I canceled by order. I had to fight tooth and nail to get it but eventually emerged victorious.

Gary

Klaus Lechten

@Peter Seibt

Ihren Kommentaren ist kaum noch etwas hinzuzufügen. Ich habe heute die Reißleine gezogen.

Ich bin weder bereit noch mehr Zeit oder Geld in ein nicht funktionierendes Programm ( Luminar Win 10) zu investieren, ständige Abstürze, Trägheit und die vielen anderen Unzulänglichkeiten haben mich heute wieder zu Adobe gebracht.

Ade Luminar hätte was werden können, ich bin mir sicher das die folgenden Versionen meinen PC nicht mehr
    erreichen werden.

Klaus

Ron Lawrence

Gary Sibio, one of the Luminar pros has a flat "don't buy" on his blog. Skylum can't even convince it's pros to hang with them!!!

Frank Fiorentino

Anyone that updates to L4 deserves the misery they get.  There is enough history with this company to know how it is going to go. We have all seen a lot of software developers come and go but this just feels different.  The empty promises, lies, combative employees, etc shows a lack of respect for the customer base that is keeping them afloat.

michael durkin

Gary Sibio.

I agree - and think it long overdue that a very nice and genuine guy such as Jim Nix drops his most commendably but increasingly desperate support for Luminar lest it damage his own impeccable reputation.

He’s moving into Topaz ( a very professional, competent and ethical working outfit), so we can only hope he’s decided that the avalanche of complaints from both Pc and Mac users concerning this shady and incompetent bunch has reached such a pitch that he feels he can no longer support them.

Thanks for the comments. They make me feel less lonely regarding my dissatisfaction with this terrible software. I really hate being ripped off ... and that is exactly how I feel about L3. Like many others, I found that the product did not deliver at all but the ongoing barrage of empty promises kept me hanging on past the refund date. A year later and the product still is not credible. I'm not stupid enough to fall for that trick again!!!!

All this has, however, prompted me to try a wide range of alternatives and realise that there are many, better options. Affinity is great for PS replacement stuff. Capture one gives the best results by far and On1 seems pretty impressive too (latest 2019 versions). Then there are all the free options as well.

I just want a trustworthy supplier that values customers, doesn't take money without delivering (and expecting customers to fix/develop their product - Skylum) or uses drug-dealer tactics to lock you into subscription models which will most certainly keep trickling up in price as your addiction/reliance becomes unbreakable (Adobe).

L4 is definitely not in my plans. It will be interesting to see if L3 is ever really fixed. You would think that Skylum would have the decency to offer a free upgrade to the long-suffering mugs who bought L3, but this wouldn't fit their 'pay now - pay later' business model. If they wanted customers to fund their product development they should have been up-front and tried crowd funding.

Minh-Dang Bui-Nguyen

Honestly I liked working in Luminar but the memory leaks and huge cpu usage makes me wonder how they get the program to work in the first place. Makes batch editing very hard to be frank. Also, before someone pokes at my setup, I have upgraded to a 1700x at 4.0 ghz with 16gb of 3200 ram, and use a vega 56 for editing now and it sadly did not make any differences when compared to my fx 6300 setup. Even editing on nvme doesn't help. Seems like a serious and unprecedented software bug. Interesting how they're releasing a new luminar huh?

Ninirockx

Deswegen arbeite ich kaum mit Luminar. Ich habe die 3er Version nicht, nur die erste. Oder gibt es schon eine zweite?:-) Sehr langsam und war immer abgestürtzt. Ich überlege Luminar 4 zu kaufen, aber bleibe weiterhin bei Lightroom und Photoshop.

Piotr Kowalski

Got i5 4 x 3.4 K version, 16GB ram, SSD and 1060 6GB and my pc sounds like its preparing to go to space. The batch processing and exporting multiple files is less then perfect.  Also the image editing isnt that sharp as in LR ;/ the only major plus of this is the filters that are just ready and layers. Just performance stuff and optimization would do wonders. 

And in the end the AI enchancments its pretty much the same thing as in Lemur. The sky enchance would be a nice thing to have, something like the sun rays filter to generating sun flares / rays but in all honesty those are just 2 features. Rest is pretty much everywhere ;/ And seriously ? Luminar 3 and 4 will be a different software. WTF. It should be a single software with some new fileters like aurora and luminar should be in 1 single app. HDR feature and a whole new app, a bit overkill.

For all out there i canrecommend portrait pro or something else for portraits. Cause if something is that universal it doesnt do anything good enough ;/ 

Please sign in to leave a comment.