local brush, radial and graduated filters with several sliders for dodging and burning

Answered

Comments

11 comments

• Official comment
    Kate Williams

Hi Marc, 

Thank you for taking the time to share these suggestions with us. I'll let our team in charge know that you'd like to see these functions in Luminar so that they could discuss their implementation in future releases. 

Please keep on sharing ideas that will help us improve our app. Thank you again for your valued input.

Comment actions Permalink
    marc labro

hello Kate,

did you review adding these three local adjustments : radial filter, graduated filter and brush with all sliders (temp, tint, exposure, shadows, highlights, texture, clarity, vibrance,...). flow and feather sliders are important to have to paint light in a subtle way.

it is impossible to migrate from lightroom to luminar4 without such local adjustments.

best regards

marc

Helena Carter

Hi Marc,

Luminar 4 actually has Graduated Mask and Radial Mask and Brush Mask for each filter and layer, see the screenshot:

marc labro

hello Helena,

we are not speaking about masks (like photoshop) but about "painting effects" like lightroom.

at same time you brush exposure, vibrance, texture,... with same brush.

in luminar you have a top/bottom gradient, a dodge/burn brush just for expo, ... all different filters to cascade.

Ligtroom and other competitor's product have all sliders in one tool.

dodging/burning is not only exposure but also texture, temperature,...

Helena Carter

Marc,

If you're referring to actually painting these effects, then with Brush Mask you can enable Paint mode and Brush exposure, Vibrance or Texture.

marc labro

like lightroom ???

how do you do that ?

In lightroom, you select brush and you paint with, for instance +0.33 exposure, then you change this exposure value to 0.66 if you need and can add more effect with the 8 other sliders.

brush sliders are basic raw develop panel in local mode

Angela Andrieux

Hi marc,

Local adjustments work a bit differently in Luminar than they do in Lightroom. This section of the user guide should help: https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/masking-options-in-lumina

marc labro

hello Angela,

I know but please mimic lightroom and ON1 local adjustments : add several pins at same time and tune 8 sliders which the more powerful local editing way to work and make advanced dodgea and burn.

tedious to add light and select a radial mask, create anew layer, add light, use radial mask,...

if you expect people migrate from LR to skylum you need to provide same basis.otherwise luminar will be used only for artistic effects after lightroom

marc

Victoria Grace

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your detailed feedback. I'll make sure our developers take this suggestion into consideration for us future updates.

Colin Grant

Marc, just stay with Lr and use L4 as a plugin. It works well. Luminar is not and probably never will be a fully featured alternative to Lr or Ps. Personally, I much prefer the layer type of adjustment as used by Capture One to the way Lr does it. L4 is sort of on that path but with no decent selection tools or range masking it cannot do the job as well.

Dayo Akanji

marc labro

I have been doing this sort of thing for several iterations of Luminar.

1. Create a new adjustment layer and apply multiple effects to this as desired.

2. Select brush as Helena Carter showed and paint the effects unto the parts where required.

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind but hopefully a kind of workaround and is basically the same procedure as in ON1 and such etc.

It could be that it no longer works with Luminar 4 from descriptions of the workflow I have seen (I don't use Luminar 4).

Please sign in to leave a comment.