Red Bull/Smithsonian Contest Pull Out and ceased Facebook Posts

Comments

8 comments

Phil Davis

"How To Fly Your Drone Recreationally" posted by the FAA on YouTube talks about my previous concerns. Begin to listen at 14:20. I'm informing Skylum about this because of the possible ramifications to the recreational drone operators and industry. Your legal team may want to investigate this with the FAA, especially when it comes to businesses that hold contests and Social media platforms that are a business and may use a recreational pilots airborne photos.

Comment actions Permalink
    Phil Davis

I put these questions directly to the FAA on Facebook and will let you know if they respond back.

Question: 1. Can a recreational drone operator post airborne photos or videos they took with their drone on social media that is a business and where that business might use that photo in the conduct of business due to their TOS? 2. Can a recreational drone operator enter into a photo contest sponsored by a business with airborne photos they took where they may also display later if they win etc.? 3. Can a recreational drone operator enter into a U.S. Government agency photo contest with their airborne drone photos such as the Smithsonian that might sell that photograph without compensation as mentioned in their rules? Is all this the same as giving a business a photo for free even though it was not one's intent? Thank you.

Kirk Osborn

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll pass on this info to the respective department.

Phil Davis

Kirk, be advised I sent another PM to the FAA on Facebook today, making sure I get succinct and clear responses to my questions, "not just "what is your "intent" and thanked them. Now here is what they don't know: if I don't get succinct answers back or it goes too long without answers I'll give them 48 hours before I do the following:

I am prepared to take these questions to the President of The United States, by which I have access to and I got to his desk before. As an aside, I'm not a "Trumper" just a fair and just individual and U.S. Constitutionally bound. There is right and there is wrong... just the way it is.

Now I know these questions could cause me harm from somewhere inside the government as retaliation, but someone has to stand.

Thanks for passing my info along because if my worse fears come to fruition this can decimate the recreational drone industry and your own bottom line as well.

Phil Davis

One last thing, just so you know this is not some sort of made up post. You can view what I have said except here and posted on FB at "Airborne Artisan", on my public page. Photos submitted to the Smithsonian contest still remain active as links, even though I emailed them to pull them.

Phil Davis

Update: Decided to send questions directly to the FAA Subject Matter Experts (SME) yesterday since I may never hear back in a timely fashion off of FB PM to the FAA. If I if I don't hear back by Friday, July 26 I will take the next step up in the chain of command to get these questions answered. I will go through the WH email system and give the appointed FAA Director a shot at getting these questions answered, last stop in the FAA. If that fails the next step will be the President.

Phil Davis

Update: Today the FAA emailed me back based on part of my questions. They used a 1977 question concerning contests where non-commercial pilots might participate in and receive compensation and or money as an award.. However, they have not answered my question on Recreational Drone Pilots who post their photos and or videos on Social media, where that media could use their photos or videos. The FAA said not to give photos away to a business or non-profit as I heard this month in an FAA Webinar for recreational drone operators, they dodged the question when writing back via email to me on photo/video posting by recreational drone operators, so I emailed them back; a problem for a social media business like FB and others in my opinion.

The FAA sent me a pdf on contest participation so I uploaded it to my online personal cloud which you are free to read and or download and you can come to your personal conclusions on contests. Link: https://app.box.com/s/v3zolz1agw1v8im90bz2q1zh53heeokf

If you want the FAA link instead of my storage cloud just let me know and I will post it here.

Phil Davis

Update: received another email from the FAA and my question here is being passed on to the Regulation/Legal Division to answer.

Here is the question as posted earlier: "Can a recreational drone operator post airborne photos or videos they took with their drone on social media that is a business and where that business might use that photo in the conduct of business due to their TOS?"

Please sign in to leave a comment.