How I reduced my catalog folder size by over 95%

Comments

20 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your investigation! Our Technical department is really impresses by these observations and they will definitely consider that. We really appreciate your help and participation.

Comment actions Permalink
    John West

Hi Daniel

Great work unfortunately I use a Mac and cannot use the same process, however I hope Skylum will investigate and refine the Mac software to reduce the file size.

Cheers

John

K.G. Wuensch

It would be ok software if crutches like your software weren't needed. Your investigation only shows how bad Luminar really is.

Rob Strower

@Daniel Thanks for your work, great job.

Now it is relatively easy for the devs to put/patch that into Luminar.

All the best,

Robin

Daniel L

Thank you! It makes me happy when I can contribute!

Roy Blackwell

The download link for the Luminar_3_Helper.zip file reports "something appears to be missing."

Daniel L

Thanks Roy! I was definitely too tired yesterday..

I fixed the link

cheers
    Daniel

Pete Suchon

Hi Daniel,

I downloaded your .exe but since I've already moved my photos and broken the links to my Luminar catalog I'm going to just delete the entire Luminar Catalog folder and start over with my photos and edits on a dedicated external HDD.

One question, will your .exe fix the disk bloat problem forever or will I need to run it regularly to keep Luminar from consuming disk space? Do you recommend running Helper after each Luminar session? Weekly? Monthly?

Thanks

-Pete-

Daniel L

Hi Pete,

when you have already broken links then I think it is the best solution to start with a fresh folder (as you already mentioned)...

Regarding your question: You have to run it from time to time to keep your folder size small. Depending on your editing amount amount I would suggest every 3-6 month. 

Cheers
    Daniel

Roy Blackwell

Thank for fixing the link, however, when I run Analyze Files from the Resource Center, it crashes the app.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
    at mplumpack.LogInProgressBar.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Running on a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 v1903.

Rodney Brown

Very cool indeed!

Daniel L

Hi Roy,

thanks for your feedback! I will investigate this during the weekend. Can you please tell me your Luminar Catalog\CacheDocuments\resources folder size and the amount of files in it? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Daniel

Roy Blackwell

Luminar Catalog\CacheDocuments\resources folder: file size is 1.22GB with 562 files in it.

Daniel L

Thanks Roy!

I updated it and solved this issue. I also included support for Luminar Flex.

Cheers
    Daniel

Rob Strower

Hi Daniel,

I used your tool again today and it downsized my Library from around 32GB to 6GB - impressive.

I used the latest version and my Luminar 3 is working perfectly.

Thank you ! it really helps to tame the amount of memory on my SSD Luminar takes normally.

I also like the other things you put in there.

Is there any way we can support you?

All the best,

Robin

Rodney Brown

You've inspired me Daniel.

The SQLite DB for Luminar is easy to navigate, so I feel the need to write an app to skim through the IMAGE_USER_ATTRIBUTES table and generate/update .xmp files. It won't be as flash as having it happen in real time, but at least it will work and users will be able to share ratings/colors between programs.

Here goes...

Daniel L

Hi Rob,

thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate this.

Regarding support: I am happy when other people try the software and provide feedback like you and Roy did. This way we can improve Luminar Helper together. If you find any bugs, just let me know ;)

@Rodney: This is a great idea!! If you like I can share the source code with you. I really have to start a github repo...Anyway currently I´m working on the previews especially on the preview folder size. Goal is to have the complete catalog folder at a small size to back it up without using much space. Also reducing size on OS drive.

Cheers
    Daniel

Daniel L

Hi Dayo,

I already shared the sources with the skylum devs ;) I don´t know if they port it to Mac. I´ll also create a github repo once I have time.

Anyway I´m pretty sure this can also be achieved by some kind of script on Macs. "Unfortunately" I´m a Windows guy and I have no clue about Macs...

Cheers
    Daniel

Daniel L

Hi Dayo,

sorry I didn´t get the first post right. Yes sure you can have the sources. I uploaded it to https://www.mediafire.com/file/necf9s03wn2gozp/mplumpack.zip/file 

I put some comments into code; hope this helps. Anyway if you have questions regarding the cleaner (or other features) feel free to post them here ;)

Luminar for Windows cannot use Plugins :( That´s why I cannot reproduce this behavior. But I know what you mean; usually it should clean up automatically when the files aren´t needed anymore...

Currently I´m quite busy due to work etc. But one point on my to do list is still the preview folder. I don´t know how exactly it is managed with the Mac version, but under Windows different "kinds" of previews are created:

1. small previews (120 pixels)

2, medium previews (300 pixels)

3. big previews (600 pixels)

those are used in library in Luminar. Then there is a another one:

4. even bigger previews (900 pixels) --> This one is used when you open the picture in edit mode.

What I figured out is that Luminar does not need some of the previews. For example the biggest one is shown when you want to edit a picture and the picture is still developed/rendered in the background. I also "observed" that Luminar uses higher resolution pictures even when you use small previews. Meaning a 600 pixel image is shown when you use the smallest previews of 120 pixels --> Please excuse my bad English

If you can convert the code (it is VB) it would be awesome! I really hope there is no need to write it from scratch!

Cheers
    Daniel

Kay-Uwe Keser

Hi Daniel,

I did installed the tool today to reduce the catalog folder.

But I get the following error.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
    at mplumpack.LogInProgressBar.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.3815.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Luminar Helper
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Luminar%20Helper/Luminar%20Helper.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4001.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
    System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
    System.IO.Compression.FileSystem
    Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IO.Compression.FileSystem/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IO.Compression.FileSystem.dll
    System.IO.Compression
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IO.Compression/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IO.Compression.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Could you tell me, where the issue is?

My catalog is not in the default location. L3 3.1.3, Windows 10 1903

Regards,

Kay-Uwe

Please sign in to leave a comment.