Luminar 4 will manage .CR3 extensions

Answered

Comments

27 comments

• Official comment
    Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

We are extremely sorry for the delay. 

We are currently working on the update for Luminar 3.

We will do our best to implement cr3 support for Luminar 3 in the upcoming updates.

Hope for your patience and understanding. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Terry Rogers

Hi Jose Carlos! Our developers are doing their best to implement the support of .CR3 file format in the nearest future. Unfortunately, the documentation on this file format is not publicly available, so the process of implementation might take a while. Our tech team has already started working on this project, but currently, we can’t provide an approximate timeline for its completion. We still need to process lots of samples from different cameras to provide our customers with a good quality product.

José Carlos de Blas Gómez

Thank you very much for the answer Terry, but you have been saying for more than a year that you are working on it and that it will come in an upcoming update without a fixed date, after all this time, do you think we should continue to trust you? Why other products have already been solved for a long time ?, I do not know if it is a problem of its technicians, although I think not, or that the company does not consider it a priority and consider it more convenient or profitable to devote their efforts to other issues .

I enclose a message from one of your collaborators from a year ago. You will understand that we cannot rely on you in excess, at this rate it may never come.

I beg your pardon for my English since I don't know it and it is a Google translation.

Regards

Angela Andrieux 
    • 1 year ago

Hi Lasse,

CR3 support will be coming in a future update. However, I don't have a specific release date for it at this time. As for the C-raw compressed files, we encourage our users to not use compressed raw formats as they often do not work well with Luminar.

Nick Allo

I agree. Wasted $$ on Luminar 3 and still no support therefore did not use and now they talk about a paid upgrade to v4? I already had to go back to Adobe so I will not return until there is support.

Helena Carter

Nick,

Our developers are doing their best to implement the support of .CR3 file format this Fall.

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your .CR3 RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Craig Douglas Gephart

Still keeping my fingers crossed that CR3 support will be coming with Luminar 4.   I purchased and have been using On1 RAW 2020 for a few days and it has no problem with the CR3 files - seamless. Having to bring in a 3rd party app such as the DNG Converter is not conducive to productivity. 

Elena Blum

Thanks for your patience! Skylum team is doing its best to implement the support of .CR3 file format this Fall. 

Craig Douglas Gephart

Thanks, Elena.  I truly hope this won't turn into another situation like the one we had waiting many months before receiving the repeatedly promised DAM. I DO like Luminar a lot.

Elena Blum

Thank you too, Craig! We'll make every effort to get this sorted out!

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

Any news on support for CR3 files? When reading the FAQ for Luminar 4 it's stated that it supports Canon EOS R, EOS RP etc., which to me reads as if Luminar 4 supports CR3 files out of the box or am I mistaken?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kasper,

You can view the list of Luminar's supported cameras here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006524580-Cameras-supported-by-Luminar-4

:-)

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

Thanks for the reply Angela and great to know that I can buy Luminar 4 and get support for CR3 files immediately. :-)

What do I do with my current useless Luminar 3 and Luminar 2018? They haven't been working for more than a year now, so I've wasted money on them.

And how do I make sure that I don't waste a lot of money on a product going forwards because you don't add support for a whole line of cameras (most mirrorless Canon cameras in this case)?

Si Luminar 4 puede gestionar CR3 (toda la gama EOS M que produce RAW en formato CR3 según http://l.skylum.com/luminar-4-supported-camera), no creo que fuera muy difícil hacer que Luminar 3 también lo consiguiera, parece que estos señores se preocupan más de captar nuevos clientes que de mantener contentos a los actuales, lo que me parece muy poco ético y digno, yo, desde luego, mientras que no demuestren otra cosa no pienso seguir comprando ninguno de sus productos, pienso que ya les he regalado bastante dinero, nos llevan engañando, dándonos largas desde hace casi un año, creo que ya está bien, vergonzoso, según ellos llevan trabajando un montón de tiempo en ello, o mienten o sus técnicos están rayando en la inutilidad, y encima nos están friendo a mensajes para intentar colocarnos el nuevo producto, como decía, vergonzoso, dice muy poco en favor de la empresa

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

@Jose: I totally agree. Seems like there's too much focus on making money and less focus on making a great product for the customers - especially looking at how many Canon users there are compared to other camera companies.

They could definitely win back some of their lost customers by at least giving us either a large discount on upgrading to Luminar 4 or reimbursing us the amount paid for Luminar 3, but I guess that's not gonna happen. 🧐 I wonder if they'll prove us wrong?

Nick Allo

I agree as I purchase v3 and was never able to use for lack of cr3 support so went back to Adobe and should be given v4 to try to win me back. Feel scammed.

Helga Rowles

Hi guys,

We'll be sure to add CR3 support to Luminar 3, please stay tuned.

Esperamos que así sea, lo hemos oído ya muchas veces desde hace mucho tiempo y no hemos visto resultados, espero que igual que nos están abrumando a mensajes para que compremos Luminar 4 nos lo comuniquen por correo electrónico, ya que, como ya he comentado en alguna ocasión y veo que no soy el único, en este momento yo  no estoy utilizando Luminar 3 aburrido de esperar.

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

What's the timeframe for adding CR3 support for Luminar 3 then? So far we've waited more than a year as far as I remember.

Why even bother to add support to a product that you're not actively going to develop when Luminar 4 is out (tomorrow)? It doesn't make sense. Why not just throw some discount codes at us instead?

Nick Allo

But after I waited a year without aupport we should get an upgrade to 4 as a courtesy since I have been unable to use the software.

Creo que sería lo más correcto por su parte.

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

It became awfully quiet in here after we started talking about blame and reimbursements for a product that isn't working as expected.

If that's how you respond to criticism and issues caused by yourself you probably shouldn't be making user facing applications.

Do the right thing and reimburse us, the users, that got stuck with a useless application because you simply couldn't be asked to put in the effort (or the money) to make the application work with CR3 files. (Yes I know the CR3 file format is a proprietary format created by Canon, but all other vendors made the effort to reverse engineer the format or paid Canon for the blueprints - you simply couldn't be asked it seems or maybe you did in the end?)

And if not: shame on you Skylum.

Nick Allo

I see that the only offer is to convert to dng format. This is not acceptable as it is a:) too many steps and b:) I am sure does some degradation to the original raw file. I think it is insulting to. Now support it and not offer a free upgrade to those whom purchased the software to have it work with cr3 raw files. Like said above I had to purchase Adobe again and never used your software and do not think it is proper to pay for v4 now just to get support nor should I have to use a legacy product after you finally add support.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Kasper! Please note that Luminar 4 supports CR3 files. As for Luminar 3, we will implement support later. 

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

Anastasia Davis yes I fully understand that - that's not point here. A lot of people bought Luminar 3 only to find out it didn't work with CR3 files. Now we've been asking for this feature for more than a year now you kept saying you'll add the support to the product.

Then you tell us as a work-around we could just convert to DNG, which makes workflows horrible, plus it adds a crazy storage overhead, because I wouldn't want to throw out my CR3 files, because as far as I understood converting to DNG will lose some data.

Now you tell us, we can just buy Luminar 4 and then what? What about Luminar 3? I bought it and now I can't use it and your only response is to ask us for more money?

Shame on you Skylum - shame on you.

Stand up Skylum and do the right thing and offer people either refunds for their useless Luminar 3 or give us a free upgrade to Luminar 4 - that's the least you could offer.

Oh, and you never answered my previous question: how do we make sure this won't happen again? Can you guarantee us that you'd actually support the next RAW file type Canon (or any other camera vendors for that matter) instead of empty promises?

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con Nick y Kasper, pero creo que tenemos muy poco que esperar de Skylum, lo único reconocer que nos equivocamos con ellos, olvidarnos de volver a adquirir un producto suyo e intentar informar a nuestros conocidos para que no caigan en nuestro error adquiriendo productos de esta empresa.

Por cierto, no se si os habéis dado cuenta de que cada vez contesta una persona diferente Terry Rogers, Helena Carter, Elena Blum, Angela Andrieux, Helga Rowles, Anastasia Davis, ¿será que cada uno de ellos/as se avergüenza un poco de contarnos cosas que no se ven cumplidas y las cuenta solo una vez?

Un saludo para todos, incluidos los que al menos, se han dignado contestar aunque hasta ahora no haya servido para nada.

David Ormesher

Couldn't agree more with Nick and Kasper. Feel scammed.

So, having (apparently successfully) added CR3 support to Luminar 4, you would have us believe that you intend, at some unspecified time in the future, to add such support to Luminar 3 - a superseded, legacy product, where such support has been promised for over a year.

Really?

Or could it be that you would simply prefer us to purchase Luminar 4, and then Luminar 5, when it arrives?

Your product is potentially very good, but your business model and treatment of existing customers requires serious rethinking - all of a sudden, the much-criticised Adobe subscription model seems much less expensive than it did.

Colin Doepker

I am one of the unfortunate many to own both a new Canon camera that uses .CR3 files, and Luminar 3. When I first bought my EOS R in late April, post-processing wasn't an immediate concern for me as I wanted to focus on going out and shooting first. In July however, I started to go through the process of finding a photo editing program that wasn't Adobe. Several places recommended Luminar 3 as a cheaper, simpler, yet fairly powerful program where I could do layer-based editing with local adjustments. After the free trial I decided I really liked and enjoyed using the program, and with the low price I decided to buy L3 (I even upgraded my older Macbook's low RAM and slow hard drive to make it more compatible).

If I only I knew then what I know now. Which is: Skylum is only focused on making more money, not keeping their existing customers happy or their existing software usable. Skylum dedicates its time to making new software with gimmicky effects that are already achievable from capable photo editors instead of features that allow the functioning of their entire program. Older customers are unimportant, Skylum only wants to attract new buyers. 

I have been waiting patiently for the functioning of the program that I purchased for five months now. This is relatively little compared to the scores of people I have read on this "support" forum who've been calling for this capability for years now. I didn't want to join the pleas of people who have been wishing for this simple capability. However, one can only read so many excuses and false promises from the Skylum representatives. The least you could to (aside from continuing to ignore and mislead the customers who are unable to use the product they purchased) is give us a concrete date that we can expect you to release .CR3 support.

When I first came to this forum to see if there was news about an update with .CR3 capability, there was already many impatient and desperate customers of L3 pleading for this 'technology'. At this time until fairly recently, it was unclear if Skylum was just having inconsiderable difficulty in achieving it. The simultaneous release of .CR3 capability with L4 indicates that this 'technology' has likely been discovered/possible for months already and was hidden from the users of L3 behind the cliché mask of "our developers are working around the clock", "once the documentation is available, we'll be sure to add .CR3 support to both L3 and L4", etc. etc. With this move, it has become obvious that Skylum indeed doesn't care for existing customers and for the basic functionality of their older software. Something I was already concerned about when I found out that Luminar 4 was being developed with the intention of releasing it in November. And, on a less obvious scale, with the intention of dwarfing and leaving behind their previous programs and customers. 

Meanwhile, I keep receiving emails from Skylum asking me to buy their new products, and refer other photographers to these programs. What a hoax. 

We are in an era where it is becoming increasingly important that consumers should support only the products and businesses that are ethical and committed to providing quality instead of quantity (and efficiency, and just plain functionality - which is not the case here), I wonder why these products should be supported by anyone. Unfortunately, ethical companies are still hard to come by. 

Hopefully .CR3 files do not become outdated by the time their capability is released to us. 

Post is closed for comments.