Boost your editing superpowers with Luminar Flex 1.1 plugin update

Pinned Featured

Comments

22 comments

Michael Anderson

Much thanks for the Flex update!

It would be very nice to see a feature comparison between full Luminar and Flex regarding the editing capabilities.   For example, Flex 1.1 is equal to which Luminar version regarding editing features.   Is Flex 1.1 equal to Luminar 3.1.2?

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

I cannot see any significant differences, Michael - in fact I cannot see any. Other than Project Files are still there.

Helge Erik Storheim

Please reconsider having the filter catalog open by default.  It is a nuisance to have to close it every time you don't need but it is in the way instead of having to open it only when you need it.

Michael Anderson

@Colin

Why do you think I am asking for the comparison to Luminar 3 releases?    Long wait for very little.   The filters catalog being open or close when we start the app should be in Preferences and never hard coded by design engineers.   But guess what....still no Preferences.   

I really don't understand Skylum product design decisions.   But I guess that is not a requirement.   ;) 

Jack Larson

I am very grateful for the Flex update.  I join Michael in wishing for an editing comparison of Flex 1.1 and Luminar 3.1.  Also, are there any new editing features in Flex 1.1 other than Accent 2.0?

Colin Grant

I think that is the point Jack, there is no difference. Flex is a rebranded L2018 and L3 is L2018 with a poor DAM. Hence Flex is at the moment just L3 without a DAM basically.

Jack Larson

Colin - I think that the addition of Accent 2.0 is a big plus.  That filter is the only reason that I have been using Luminar 3.1 as a plug-in rather than Flex.  Following the conversation around Luminar 3.1, I doubt that I will ever even attempt to us it as a DAM.  I am very happy with Lightroom Classic for that.

Colin Grant

I am 100% Lr as well Jack. The question was what is the difference between L3 and Flex editing wise. The answer is "nothing material". My concern is the longevity of Flex. Skylum are quite quick at abandoning software and imho Flex only came along because of the pathetic launch that was L3. Once L3 is back on the rails will they keep them both? I guess Skylum have lost my trust - trust is definitely hard won and easily lost.

In the meantime, I agree Flex makes an absolutely brilliant plugin and Accent 2.0 is very good...and I hate all this artificial intelligence stuff usually.

Jack Larson

Colin, sounds like we are pretty much on the same page.  The only reason that I would use Luminar, and then, only asa plug in, is if it has some editing features that Flex does not.

Colin Grant

Except of course they are removing the plugin functionality from L3 on the basis that Flex is the plugin tool.

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Bravo pour le plugin Flex , en espérant que luminar 3 Windows rattrape  la version Max le + vite possible...

Cordialement, Martial

Michael Anderson

Today I received an email for Flex plus 300 Looks for free.   Since I already own Flex 1.1, please provide a link to the 300 free Looks that new customers will receive.

Richard Harrington

A few things. The presets for flex owners were sent out via email on Friday. If you didn’t see it check junk folder. If not contact support.

Filters catalog is open by default due to overwhelming questions about finding filters. Press tab or command l to hide. Shortcut coming to windows in future update. Tab key should work.

Flex and Luminar split to make a better experience. Plugin user has different needs than a desktop user. This allows the user interface and features to develop independently based on feedback. For example while a car and a motorcycle both drive on a road and have wheels, they are fundamentally different. Making compromises for each leads to a bad experience.

Right now flex and luminar are a 100% match for filters. Flex has different workspaces and looks. You cannot course move and copy these as needed between the two.

I will do my best to answer any questions. But think of it this way. Flex is a plugin. Luminar is an app.

Richard Harrington

And Michael. There were also numerous bug and performance fixes made. By letting the plugin be used for a month in the wild. (Not just beta testers) we were able to fix many small or annoying things that plagued certain users.

We wanted very hard to make sure this was a solid release so this meant extra testing and taking time. I hope the 317 bonus looks we sent were also a welcome addition.

Richard Harrington

Jack. Luminar has no editing features that flex does not. In fact flex has features like photoshop action and smart object support.

Jack Larson

I received the Flex update on Friday.  Somehow I missed the free Looks.  Unfortunately I have already deleted the email.  Is there a way to obtain the Looks?  Thanks

Anastasia Davis

Hi Jack! Please reach our customer support so we could help you with that: https://skylum.com/support

Colin Grant

I never got the free Looks either?

Colin Grant

Richard, I think Flex is a brilliant product as is. That is that it can be used as a plugin or via another app using Open With. If it could work seamlessly with other DAMs and continue to save edits it would be first class in my view. Must admit I much prefer sidecar files to project files but can work with the latter if I must. It should also have its plugin capability extended to the likes of Capture One.

Richard Harrington

Colin.  A few things.

1. Thanks

2. Sidecar files only work within a host app (never for a plugin).  If you are using Flex with another app, its adjustments have to be applied when you export.  With that said... the use of Smart Objects in Photoshop (or the open in PS as smart object command in Lr) means that the filter is nondestructive and you can resume editing later.

3. You can already use it with Capture One as an external editor.

Try This

Adding Flex to Capture One

1. Launch Capture One
    2. Choose Capture One > Preferences on a Mac or Edit > Preferences on a PC.
    3. Click the Plugins tab.
    4. Type Flex into the search box
    5. Check the box next to Luminar Flex.
    6. Close the Preferences window.

Using Flex with Capture One

1. Select a Folder of image in your Library.
    2. Select an image in your library.
    3. Choose Image > Open with > Luminar Flex. The raw file is handed off to Luminar Flex.
    4. Make any adjustments you want.
    5. Choose File > Export and choose a 16-bit TIFF.
    6. Give the file a new name
    7. Name and save the file in the desired location (choose the original folder or a subfolder is often best).
    8. Close the open image and Luminar. You don’t need to save as you’ve already exported an image.
    9. Switch back to Capture One.
    10. When you select the folder, you’ll see the new image in Capture One.  If needed, right click on the folder and choose Synchronize.
    Colin Grant

It does not really work well with Cap One though Richard as it does not remember the folder from whence the image originated. As you say one has to choose the folder to save back to (why it is termed export escapes me). When Flex runs with Lr it sends the image back to the original location automatically. Also there have been many responses on here from Skylum staff saying Flex can only be used as a plugin in certain apps - Lr, Photos, Ps etc. Using Open With is surely using Flex in stand-alone mode and I understand that is being withdrawn as are Project Files?

Sidecar files are just something created by the app so could be saved anywhere really. That said I do take your point so with no Project Files the only way to retain edits is via Ps Smart Objects? This being the case the functionality of Flex is inconsistent.

Colin Grant

A bit more Richard. C1 Express for Fuji does not have a synchronise folder function, that I can find anyway, and also C1 creates a tif whilst Flex sends back a tiff which is treated as a completely different file by C1 and has to be reimported. Not an ideal workflow.

Please sign in to leave a comment.