Luminar 4 for just $49

Answered

Comments

43 comments

Jon Sweeny

If you want to keep me loyal (and oh don't we nowadays have such a wide choice to photo editing solutions!) then stay with one version for a while, fix the shortcomings and problems and make it better so we all can get value for our money. So now you introduce some superficial improvements, calling it version 4, and those of us who are not willing to once again pay to get this new version which does not even address the problems and shortcomings of the current version we own, we now will be left behind as you focus on improving the new version! Don't treat us like fools. This is certainly not going to create and maintain loyalty. Make sure to include my comments the next time you are "collecting and processing artists' feedback". As long as you introduce improvements such as your silly DAM to version 3 then fine... but I don't see that happening. If anything it may come in version 4, 5 or 6...so we will need to pay 2 or 3 more times.. hope I am wrong but watch my words...

Comment actions Permalink
    Jim West

@ Marcus

For your own sanity you are wise to check out the competition. A year ago I would never have used this forum to promote a competitor's product.  However the fiasco that this company has created by promising me a program that will replace Adobe LR/PS, under-delivering on that promise and now completely reneging is beyond my comprehension.

I finally got so frustrated with Luminar 3 that I did what you are now doing. And to my satisfaction I found another program that does all of what Luminar should do and so much more. So cancelled my Adobe subscription when I found another program that works just as well for the equivalent of two months of Adobe's latest rip-off subscription fee.  ON1 RAW is about the same price as what Skylum is now asking for Luminar 4!! They are a breath of fresh air. It is not perfect but it does everything they promise.

Andy H

I encourage anyone to check out the competition, there's plenty of good options to chose from. I've done that and realized very quickly that Luminar is way behind on pretty much everything.  Their AI is amateurish compared to Topaz; their Libraries module is lagging well behind pretty much anything else that offers some form of DAM; speed, stability and general performance is also lagging way behind something like ON1 Photo RAW or Alien Skin Exposure 4. The only part of Skylum that's working at the moment is their marketing department trying to up-sell Luminar 4 using the same strategy as with Luminar 3 - "trust us it's going to be great"  - and look what that's given us.

Let's call this out right now - Skylum are NOT listening to their customers.  They claim we want gimmicky AI filters to fake our photographs - all at the expense of a stable, reliable, professional grade product. There are hundreds of comments and suggestions on this forum and on social media for Skylum to pay attention to and they've done nothing. When will they wake up and pay attention? When they lose a big chunk of their customer base to a more deserving competitor.

Marcus Brändle

I have exactly the same feelings. I still can't trust this software to be my DAM and so I still don't get the value of my purchase in the first place. I am not willing to pay anything before I have software stable enough and with the enough features to leave Apple Photos as DAM. Even if I can stay with Luminar 3 I now lost any hope that new DAM-related features will ever appear. My next step will be to evaluate competitor software.

Ramprakash Ram Mohan

@kate: I would recommend you dig up the list of features that were promised as part of Luminar 3 and what has been delivered. We understand that the upgrade is "optional" and it is up to us to "take advantage of" the generous offer, but as far as I am concerned it is breach of contract when you asked us to pay for Luminar 3 promising us features for which you are now asking us to pay once again (discounted or not)! If you had delivered on the features that were promised, I would not have minded the least to upgrade but now I am set on ON1 RAW. Thank you and good luck with Luminar 4!

Jim West

Kate, can we get a list of what specifically is going to be included in the luminar 3 update you are referring to?

Michael Battista

I have lost confidence in Skylum. Their approach to Luminar is very confusing: Luminar 2, Luminar 2018, Luminar 3 (and updates), Luminar Flex and now a Luminar 4 (is it an update or a new program approach?)! Luminar 4 can be had for $49 or $89 but I've read may be a free update to those who have 3 (funny that isn't very clear). Features added and removed, a DAM that really does work. The big deal with Luminar 4 is AI sky replacement but the program is full of issues starting with the DAM. They really don't seem to have a consistent direction they want to move which makes it all to confusing for me and not worth spending my time on. I liked Luminar when it was first introduced but the frustration it can create is beyond what I am will to tolerate (and pay for). I am now using Affinity Photo. It is more than what I need at the moment and has its faults but is very stable and quite good. It doesn't have a DAM but I have already created my own library which works for me. And I recently open the app and found it had been automatically updated to a newer version with significant performance improvement with no drama, and false promises. So it is what I'll explore for now.

Andy H

@Kate Williams.  Nothing personal against you, as I understand you have the difficult task of responding to some angry and frustrated customers, but you have to realize all this frustration is entirely of Skylum's own doing. We are unlikely to believe anything you or any other Skylum representative tells us - simply because we've heard it all before and Skylum never delivers on what it says it will. It's all marketing spin and no substance. So, our suspicions around Luminar 4 are entirely justified.

If you say there are a lot of new "surprising and inspiring" features in Luminar 4, just come out and publish them now.  Holding back does not increase anticipation, it only increases the suspicion that Skylum themselves don't know what's going to be in the first release.  Constantly "maintaining" the development roadmap (or as I call it, changing the goal posts) again raises suspicion.

The build up to Luminar 4 is going along the same path as Luminar 3, very little information up front, promises it will be great, limited time discounts to sucker folks into signing up.....we just now have to wait for the crushing disappointment of a slow, unreliable and pretty much unusable piece of junk in Q4 2019. Skylum needs to stop treating customers with the disdain they currently do and realize a lot more of us are waking up to the fact they seem incapable of delivering a viable product anymore.

Andy H

I had high hopes for this article, but it's more typical Skylum marketing drivel with very little substance or new information. Good luck to Pam though, she sounds like a very nice person. I hope when I'm 68, Luminar v25 will eventually become the product that Skylum promised it would be when they first released it.

Dario Cornale

This is a joke. Luminar 3 users have SEVERAL problems. And now we must pay for luminar 4 ??? Learn from other software (like davinci resolve studio) and give free update to luminar 4. 

Daniel Voulkos

I have to agree with all the above. Luminar 3 is problematic. No.....we should not have to pay to play. V4 should go to all of us who had been waiting for a good DAM from them...it is a good joke on us. They are knowledgeable that we would pay up down the line to update....not upgrade. I see a lot of loading issues as VERY slow, as in filter film strip loading as well as switching to another photo from the current image. I thought Luminar would go a long way forward but not at OUR....'expense'. You ARE going to lose a lot of us you guys. C'mon now.

Michael Battista

Andy H- I have skimmed the article and agree. I would have read it but it felt like a maketing tool - all fluff and no substance.

Andy H

@Bill Endicott. Agreed, it's more of the same old "trust me, it's gonna be great!" language we've heard before. So this article has done nothing to restore Skylum's credibility in my eyes.

For some fun, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict what the four tools in "Stealth Mode" are:

• AI Face Replacement
    • AI Building Replacement
    • AI Landscape Replacement
    • AI Luminar Development Roadmap Replacement

These will be promised for Q1 2020, but only one will be delivered by Q2 2020 (the fourth one), the rest will be added to Luminar 5.  In July 2020, Luminar 5 will be announced with only one new feature and that will be AI Random Photo Generator, so we don't actually have to go out and use a camera anymore.

Bill Endicott

@Andy H.   I don't know that I meant to go that far, but SkyLum credibility is at an ALL TIME low.  This bothers me as I REALLY do like the product.  I just wish they'd stick to one program and quit disappointing over and over again.  I doubt this is intentional. but constantly changing direction like they do leads to poor credibility.  I wish they would just stick with one direction at a time.

As for the four "Stealth Items" I hope they stay within the ream of photography.  It is my thought that AI tends too often to enter the realm of "Composite" rather than photography.  I have no problem with Compositioning, it is a beautiful art.  I just prefer to stick with real life - fake skies is a composition not a photo and should be called such.  Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Jim West

Let’s face the facts people. The Skylum representatives responding on this forum are simply doing what they are told.

I have never used a piece of software that is so tantalizingly great yet so infuriatingly flawed.

Like others have stated, no offence to these representatives, but it is time that either one of these two senior executives isend out a apology and a clearly worded statement on what is happening with this software!
    Alex Tsepko (CEO)
    Scott Bourne (President of US Operations)

But we all know this will not happen,

Bill Endicott

"I have never used a piece of software that is so tantalizingly great yet so infuriatingly flawed."

Now that describes SkyLum perfectly.  Most accurate statement I've seen yet!   I am very happy with Luminar Flex (Both PC & Mac), but the "Libraries" are so close to usable and yet so disappointing.  The "Magic Mouse" issue is beyond annoying.  If Flex worked with Capture One it would be so much the answer I have looked for.

Ronald Skinner

You know when they were promoting Luminar 3, they were promising all these cool features, that would be introduced in 2019 and all 2019 updates would be free, we were supposed to get a full featured DAM, Lightroom Migration, virtual copies, blah, blah, blah. Never happened. When we did get Luminar 3 people started reporting issues like the Magic Mouse causing the editor to scroll through photos, we kept being told it will be fixed in the next update and it never was.  I also reported along with a lot of other people that lens information wasn't showing up for Nikon cameras, they asked and I submited NEF files to help them figure it out, they still haven't fixed it. How much ya wanna bet these issues won't be fixed in the next update?  Now instead of giving us the features they promised, they show us AI sky replacement, not the top feature on most peoples lists, now to get the features that were  supposed to be in Luminar 3 you have to buy Luminar 4 and they limit the discounted price to the first 20k, and other than sky replacement no one has a clue what they are paying for. This reminds me of that con man Mr. Haney on Green Acres who always tried to sell Mr. Douglas worthless junk.  Now they are telling us there is gonna be a lot more never seen before AI features in Luminar 4, and they want us to take them at their word for that, even though they never came through with all the great features that were supposed to be in Luminar 3, so why should we believe them now. If they ever put out another roadmap make sure you screenshot it so when all those features neve happened you can post the roadmap and ask why this never happened.  Also I think they forgot about Aurora HDR, the one product that works well, they haven't done any updates or integrated it with Luminar 3 in a long time.  While I like the Luminar editor, I've moved on to ON1 Photo Raw that has all the features that should have been in Luminar 3 by now, and it's pretty easy to change a sky in ON1 too if you ever want to do that.

Bill Endicott

Anna,

SkyLum REALLY needs to work on how it handles customer expectations - and I suspect that is a major understatement!!

Coming out with L4 and a new direction towards creating "New" tools without producing past promises and at the same time removing the road map creates SERIOUS credibility issues. 

I believe most of us love Luminar.  Jim said it correctly "so tantalizingly great yet so infuriatingly flawed."  I hope SkyLum can come through with its promises, but it seems the direction of development changes so often SkyLum does not remember what it has promised! 

Andy H

@Eric.  Yes, there are some contradictory comments from Skylum representatives, but they are doing their best.  I have a sense they've been abandoned by senior management who are at the moment crawled into a corner somewhere with hands over their eyes (or fingers in their ears) denying there's any problems.

There is a fundamental lack of direction from the top in Skylum - no-one is holding anyone accountable for delivering what they say they would and they are not supporting their front line staff. It's time for them to show up, demonstrate some leadership and directly address their customers with some honest, spin free answers

Ross Collins

@Ana Veres - "Regarding LR migration tool: we are not going to develop it on our own. Currently, we are conducting negotiations with our partners that will be able to develop the separate migration tool for LR users."

So Skylum is now reduced to outsourcing the development of its own software?

If 20,000 users stumped up $49.95 each for L4, Skylum has $1,000,000 to keep the lights on - for now.  But, after that, I reckon they're stuffed.  Will they still be in business next year, next month or even next week?  It's only a matter of time, I'd say.  And they don't even have a working product that a new owner could pick up.

I'm pleased I didn't bet my workflow on Luminar.

Mr.E

Next time let me please put my lipstick on first...   :-(

Bill Endicott

I read the article - I generally try to get what info is there in-between the lines. 

I have passed on Luminar 4 as I have no interest in fake skies.  But Dima says there are 4 other items claimed to be in "Stealth Mode".   Interesting choice of words, I read it to mean they have 4 more tools in a development state where they may or may not make it to this release (otherwise known as "Stealth Mode").  But hold on, if they don't make it this release. they will be out in the next update! Trust me and believe me!!

When I hear the four items REALLY are in Luminar 4 and they are actually something useful, then I might spend.  Otherwise Skylum credibility holds as is.

Andy H

@Jim West. I fully agree. I have a lot of sympathy for the Skylum representatives on this forum. They’re trying their best, and I hope our fellow members also appreciate that.

I too share suspicions of whether Skylum executives will chip in. They seem to only get involved when it suits them. I had a recent twitter/email exchange with Alex where he offered to personally look into an issue. Needless to say, 3 weeks later, I’ve still heard nothing from him, only from a support representative who didn't have the background. I gave up as I didn’t want to keep re-explaining myself.

As I said on another post. They will only wake up and get involved if their customer base starts dissolving because we’ve had enough and moved on to an alternative product.

Jim West

@Bill Endicott  Thanks for the compliment- I just wish it wasn't true. When I watch all these so called professional photographers with their youtube videos hyping Luminar or Aurora I start thinking I must be missing something. Then I go back and fire them up again and Luminar crashes or jumps from one photo to the next for no reason or takes minutes to re-load the library or minutes to draw the thumbnails or doesn't have a lens correction library or in the case of Aurora 2019 doesn't recognize my z6 RAW photos etc etc etc...

As a plug-in editing program Luminar 2018 was great for me...but it still meant having another program for a DAM. I had great success using Adobe LR/PS along with Noiseless CK, Luminar and Aurora as plug-ins. That was a killer combo...but I was getting tired of Adobe's monthly fees. I upgraded to Aurora 2019 and hung in there hoping that Luminar 3 would step into the void and that I could cancel my Adobe account. But Luminar 3 was and still is a disaster as a stand alone workflow product. And then I switched to a Nikon z6 and Aurora will not read the RAW file!

Meanwhile another competitor (ON1 RAW) was listening to their clients and came out with their 2019 version in March which is a very worthy rival to the Adobe LR/PS combo. It has replaced my workflow of LR/PS, Noiseless CK, Luminar and Aurora( these 4 cost me $475 in the last year!) .   

I have cancelled my Adobe account as of TODAY! I am now running just ON1RAW at a cost of $69 for the year...and they just came out with another FREE update today! It is now faster and performs even better. FREEDOM at last!  

Andy H

I too ditched Adobe Photography plan late last year and hoped to use Luminar 3 as my Lightroom alternative. Obviously that didn't work out, so I switched over to running ON1 Photo RAW as my core editor and I've been very happy with it. It's quite an interesting journey if you compare ON1 to Skylum.  Photo RAW and Luminar were first released at around the same time 3 years ago.  

ON1 went through some tough times in the first 2 major iterations of Photo RAW, but then really got their act together. How? They really focussed on Customer feedback (see their "ON1 Photo RAW Project" community site), kept their promises and drilled down on what made a good Lightroom alternative.  They didn't mess around with AI, they just focused on a solid DAM and a good suite of tools and filters. Then and only then did they start to introduce some AI, and their AI is useful - and not the gimmicky fake your photos style you have with Luminar.

During this time, Skylum have focussed too heavily on AI and trying to give us "one click wonder" filters and either completely forgot about the essential tools photographers need, or delivered half baked versions of them.

Fast forward to today - Photo RAW outperforms Luminar in almost every department and it's around the same price. The End.

Tony Collins

Hi Anna

What about virtual copies that were also promised for end of 2019 in the early roadmap.

Lightroom migration is pointless while Luminar only interacts with a tiny percentage of the data that lightroom uses - so I'm not expecting anything from that.

What about lens data not showing for some brands (eg Nikon, Panasonic)

What about exif data being stripped from exports.
    What about being able to print from L3

What about being able to move image files to different storage devices without losing edits (somthing support are currently failing to support me with)

will all those be fixed for L3? Will they even be fixed in the first release of L4? Because I am out of options. I need these features NOW (particularly being able to move image files) and if Luminar can't provide them, then I have to go with a tool that can.

Eric

@Anna re:

"Let me try to clarify the situation:

The announcement of Luminar 4 doesn’t mean that we are going to abandon Luminar 3.

Luminar 3 will be updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised. IPCT support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users."

Well, that's not what Kate Williams is saying over here . According to her, it's:

"I'm afraid, at the moment, only performance/stability/compatibility updates are planned for Luminar 3. "

So which one is it? This does not clarify it for me. And I would like to see this as an official announcement either as a sticky post in the forum for everyone to see or even better an email from the CEO because he has a lot of explaining to do. To me there is not one fathomable reason why resources would be spent on L4 while L3 is still completely broken after 9(!) months and Aurora hasn't seen any update since L3 was released.

Andy H

@Ross Collins - interesting point. Skylum must have taken a significant revenue hit when they didn't charge existing Luminar 2018 owners for Luminar 3. Given the significant issues they've had with that product and the sentiment a lot of community members and existing users have, I doubt if the take up for Luminar 4 is going to be that great. Well, at least until they have the first iteration out to market and folks have had the chance to try it. To me there is a significant risk in committing to Luminar 4 on just the say so of Skylum, especially given their track record. I wonder how many of the 20,000 discounted licenses have actually been purchased so far?

Maybe the reason they haven't been able to stick to their development roadmap and have not given us any updates to Aurora HDR in a while is because they can't afford the size of development team required to get it all done? Even more reason for Skylum senior management to step in and reassure their customers about not only their product development path, but their business solvency as well.

Collin Moore

@Andy that appears to be part of their revenue method. Revenue becomes flat, so announce a new version with one feature with a new 'pre-order deal' to bring in some revenue. Why do you think their affiliate program is so wide? Get more people to potentially buy a product that doesn't even exist yet.

Konrad Seidel

@Anna

"Let me try to clarify the situation:

The announcement of Luminar 4 doesn’t mean that we are going to abandon Luminar 3.

Luminar 3 will be updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised. IPCT support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users."

I paid for the upgrade unfortunately before I read all the comments here. But I haven't paid for the sky replacement gimmick. I do need also a working DAM, library, speed, virtual copies etc. Something reliable to work with! So please take my 49$ for the improvement of the basic workflow. Like LR or Capture One! The development is great, unfortunately the flex doesn't work with Capture One. Its a pain to work with LR6 for old files and catalogue, with Capture One for all new RAWs and with Luminar for development (including a lot of coffee when exporting)

Please sign in to leave a comment.