Luminar 4 for just $49

Answered

Comments

43 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mr. E Slobbe,

Luminar 3 will be getting an update in 2020 with IPTC metadata editing, search tools, and support for newer cameras. You can read more about it in this article on our blog (scroll down to the "What will happen to Luminar 3 section"): https://skylum.com/blog/why-the-new-luminar-has-me-so-excited

Comment actions Permalink
    Andy H

I had high hopes for this article, but it's more typical Skylum marketing drivel with very little substance or new information. Good luck to Pam though, she sounds like a very nice person. I hope when I'm 68, Luminar v25 will eventually become the product that Skylum promised it would be when they first released it.

Michael Battista

Andy H- I have skimmed the article and agree. I would have read it but it felt like a maketing tool - all fluff and no substance.

Mr.E

Next time let me please put my lipstick on first...   :-(

Bill Endicott

I read the article - I generally try to get what info is there in-between the lines. 

I have passed on Luminar 4 as I have no interest in fake skies.  But Dima says there are 4 other items claimed to be in "Stealth Mode".   Interesting choice of words, I read it to mean they have 4 more tools in a development state where they may or may not make it to this release (otherwise known as "Stealth Mode").  But hold on, if they don't make it this release. they will be out in the next update! Trust me and believe me!!

When I hear the four items REALLY are in Luminar 4 and they are actually something useful, then I might spend.  Otherwise Skylum credibility holds as is.

Andy H

@Bill Endicott. Agreed, it's more of the same old "trust me, it's gonna be great!" language we've heard before. So this article has done nothing to restore Skylum's credibility in my eyes.

For some fun, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict what the four tools in "Stealth Mode" are:

• AI Face Replacement
    • AI Building Replacement
    • AI Landscape Replacement
    • AI Luminar Development Roadmap Replacement

These will be promised for Q1 2020, but only one will be delivered by Q2 2020 (the fourth one), the rest will be added to Luminar 5.  In July 2020, Luminar 5 will be announced with only one new feature and that will be AI Random Photo Generator, so we don't actually have to go out and use a camera anymore.

Bill Endicott

@Andy H.   I don't know that I meant to go that far, but SkyLum credibility is at an ALL TIME low.  This bothers me as I REALLY do like the product.  I just wish they'd stick to one program and quit disappointing over and over again.  I doubt this is intentional. but constantly changing direction like they do leads to poor credibility.  I wish they would just stick with one direction at a time.

As for the four "Stealth Items" I hope they stay within the ream of photography.  It is my thought that AI tends too often to enter the realm of "Composite" rather than photography.  I have no problem with Compositioning, it is a beautiful art.  I just prefer to stick with real life - fake skies is a composition not a photo and should be called such.  Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Andy H

@Bill Endicott. Luminar is no longer a serious photographers tool and Skylum doesn't deserve to be taken seriously either. That was kind of the point I was making above - it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of those tools made it into the program one day! I agree, the way Skylum implements AI does lean towards the composite and that does give pretty fake looking results unless used very carefully - that AI Sky Replacement just looks dreadful from their promotional video, like a first time Photoshop users attempt, inconsistent lighting, shadow inaccuracies etc etc.

I have no problems with AI being used in editing software or the art of compositing, I just dislike how Skylum laser focus on that at the expense of the performance and stability of the software and some of the basic essential tools photographers need. Get that right first, then you can introduce all the AI composite tools you like.

Dario Cornale

This is a joke. Luminar 3 users have SEVERAL problems. And now we must pay for luminar 4 ??? Learn from other software (like davinci resolve studio) and give free update to luminar 4. 

Daniel Voulkos

I have to agree with all the above. Luminar 3 is problematic. No.....we should not have to pay to play. V4 should go to all of us who had been waiting for a good DAM from them...it is a good joke on us. They are knowledgeable that we would pay up down the line to update....not upgrade. I see a lot of loading issues as VERY slow, as in filter film strip loading as well as switching to another photo from the current image. I thought Luminar would go a long way forward but not at OUR....'expense'. You ARE going to lose a lot of us you guys. C'mon now.

Viktor Svaikovskij

Hi. I am still not happy with the performance of Luminar 3! But Luminar 4 already out for sale... 😟 I am afraid to meet the same performance problems with Luminar 4,so I am not going to pay a penny for it until Luminar 3 would be fixed completely. I have custom built PC with top end processors and Video cards + 24gb memory + Windows 10 freshly installed, but Luminar 3 keeps it speed slow and just cutting off for no Reason!!! Please fix this issue properly! Thanks 🤔

Jim West

I downloaded the trial of L4 and it has the same issue with not displaying thumbnails for .tiff files in the browser as L3???  This update is nothing more than a few flashy but useless fluff features layered onto L3.

WHY have these basic issues in L3 not been addressed in L4. If they were I may be tempted to upgrade but certainly will not now.  SOOOO MUCH FRUSTRATION. 

Vita Bergman

Hi Jim! 

For a deeper look at the issue, please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support so we can investigate.

Please sign in to leave a comment.