A scam, when Luminar 3 has so many failures that sell luminar 4

Comments

17 comments

Carl Douthit

I have been very careful to avoid using the word "scam" over the past few months, but I'm getting to where you are, Juan José Ortiz Soler .

Repeatedly, Skylum has asked us to purchase an app based on what they claim it will do at some point in the future and not for what it actually does at the time of the sale.

That is like purchasing a car that has a lawn-mower engine in it based on a promise that at some point the manufacturer will put a race-car engine in it. Then later, after failing to deliver the promised race car engine, the company asks for more money so they can put a rocket ship engine in it.

Meanwhile, users are left puttering down the street with an ineffective lawn mower engine for power.

No more money from ME, Skylum. You have misrepresented your product too many times already for me to be gullible once again. Your claims are right on the borderline of being fraudulent misrepresentation. They might not meet the requirements legally, but I think that they do from an ethical viewpoint.

Comment actions Permalink
    Carl Douthit

Kate, "better performance and greater stability" has been Skylum's song and dance ever since they released the very first version of Luminar for Windows PC.

"Buy (update to L4) before we tell you what's in it" has also been the same line.

This is NOT the approach of mature main-line photo editing software companies. Adobe lists available features of new versions before asking people to purchase them. So do many other software editing apps.

But Skylum continues to ask people to give them money based on undisclosed features and/or hoped-for features ("we hope to release an update containing __________ in a few months").

This is NOT the approach of reputable and mature companies who hope to have satisfied customers.

Skylum seems to constantly over-estimate it's abilities to deliver and to be satisfied with only delivering some of the features on time, or at all.

Your Windows software development department for Luminar needs to be held harshly accountable OR, it it is your sales department that is responsible, they need to be held harshly accountable.

I just don't see how your current practices are going to end up with solid base of faithful repeat customers of Luminar for Windows PC. And satisfied repeat customers are the bread and butter of every company.

Greg Wallis

Sadly, this is the end of the road for me. Luminar 2018 and 3 were both so badly infested with bugs that they were effectively unusable for anything other than rudimentary edits. The expectation was that further along the 3 roadmap things would be fixed, after all it's what I paid for. Luminar 4 will be just as buggy with lots of new features that most people really don't need. It had promise and I was excited, but it's clear my heart overruled my head. So if anyone wants to use truly exceptional, reliable, and professional software that's not Adobe, then you'll find it difficult to beat Alien Skin's Exposure X4, which I've now been using for several months and couldn't be happier. You pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Tony Collins

Kate - what about the features that have been promised over and over for L3 and have been on the roadmap for all of this year - in particular - IPTC edit, virtual copies, lightroom migration, more AI tools etc etc.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for people buying L3 within the last 6 months to expect to get those features sometime this year. I notice you have now taken that page down - though it is still available in googles cache in case you've forgotten what was on it.

And your last two updates have both promised performance improvments neither of which have been noticeable for me.

Collin Moore

"AI Sky Replacement is not the only feature that will come to Luminar 4 and more announcements will follow in August-September-October-November. I am afraid we can't reveal a lot more details about the features at this moment simply because a number of things will be unique to Luminar, but more teasers will be released soon."

This honestly is a terrible marketing gimmick for Skylum to start their pre-order window on L4 and bring in any sort of revenue since L3 revenue was drying up. They are playing a shell game with your dollars and spending it on features that honestly no one asked for or ever wanted.

How about you announce with a full list of features that will be available and tested on launch day. Not this rolling hype train for 6 to 10 months with broken promises. People seem to like the editing part, now attack a new feature and attack it until you get it right and are the market leader. Sadly the approach with the DAM in L3 shows that you are willing to lie to your customers, abandon trying to make it usable, and move onto something else alienating those customers.

As many others have said, Skylum while not legally culpable of fraud, but from an ethical standpoint, they are.

Andy H

Am I going to buy Luminar 4? No way. Luminar 3 had demonstrated that Skylum repeatedly fail to deliver on their promises, fail to stick to their own development roadmap and ultimately lack the competency to deliver a viable product.

They are already adopting the "trust us, Luminar 4 is going to be great, but we're not going to reveal much now" line, trouble is they've destroyed the trust of many customers already. They think we want to fake our photographs using gimmicky AI when what we really want is a solid, stable, professional level editor and Lightroom alternative that they marketed Luminar to be when it was originally released 3 years ago.

ON1, Topaz and Alien Skin (and dare I say it Lightroom) are all much better options.

Jos Vromen

Here is another one. Had, out of nothing, lots of problems. My Mac start sounding like a formule one car, with the heat of fire!. Think it had to do with many hours work and the size of the library. But that is what I need the software for. Skylum never said that there is a max on the hours of work and my MacBook has always work great and was reliable.

So I had to find something else to finish the job. I found Alien Skin Exposure X4 and until now it's better, faster and more reliable than anything Skylum made. It was not easy to find software because the internet was very bad over there. So this costs me hours and much energy and I hope this will never happen again, just like it never happened before my Skylum period. So still bad with Skylum and the first email I saw was that I could spent my money for the, not yet complete Luminar 4! Let me tell you this Skylum, version 3 is not yet finished! 

And Flex? Still no roadmap and telling there will be differences between Luminar and Flex makes it not much better. Telling here on this forum that Flex users can switch to Luminar 4 doesn't help either.

Free tip: The most important thing about this kind of software is reliability. We need to be sure about the software and that's something Skylum doen't deliver. It's not only me, read this forum, read other forums, all they say nice software but buggy, slow, eating memory, making computers too hot. There is something definitely wrong in this software. Hope you do something about it, please don't promise, because you do that all the time . . . .

For now,

Bye!

(out of curiosity I will follow you, see what will happen with Skylum . . .)

Jean-Michel Mermet

I'm disgusted by Skylum's behavior

chetan panchal

i think we all agree, that we are been cheated by some way or the other

Reinhard Temmel

I have the suspicion that Skylum actually is infiltrated by agents of Adobe who are working hard to push customers back to LR!

And I think they will succeed at the end - I am out of the game!

Jos Vromen

I think you could call it a mess at Skylum. Some weeks ago they told us we had one program called Flex only to be used as filters for other programs, because many users did ask that.

There is one other program that could be used as stand alone, Luminar, because many users asked for it. 

Yes, we listen to our users, but now everything is different, we don't listen anymore. That's fine with me, just removed everything Skylum on my HD. 

But the new Luminar 4 will be great, trust us, we can't tell you everything (because it's not yet working) but believe us, we make something great! Remember us, we are the people who promised a great DAM, a super fast developing software, a set of filters the users wanted (but will be stopped here, no new filters only speed and functionality )

Trust us, give us your money, we that never finished one program, going to give you something great ( can't tell everything because of technical issues = not working). Trust us, believe us, we are in this together!

How stupid do you think your (ex) users are?

chetan panchal

This is response i got on email 

Hi Chetan,

I'm afraid Luminar 3 won't have the features you've mentioned. 

However, we can assure you that we will continue to support Luminar 3 in terms of performance and compatibility. For instance, the next update will be released within a few weeks. Speed improvements alongside some new functionality will be implemented.

Feel free to reach us if there's anything we can do for you.

Best regards,

Olha
    Skylum Support Team

Jean-Michel Mermet

I'd like to thank Greg Wallis to mention Alien Skin's Exposure X4... I'm like a lot of you folks, I'm fed up with the poor quality and the slowness of operation of Luminar 3 (8-9 seconds to load a picture in the editor on my pretty old Mac) and the DAM lacks basic functionalities. The upgrade proposal drove me crazy and announced new functionalities don't interest me at all (it's all about automatic masking after all)

So I tried Alien Skin's Exposure X4. On the SAME computer, opening a RAW file is instantaneous, exporting is much quicker. The DAM is full of useful functionalities. The editor is really nicely done and a pleasure to use. I bought it even before the end of the trial month and kept Flex for occasionnal usage. However, I must say, I haven't used it since.

Bye bye Skylum

Andy H

Exposure X4 is a great piece of software and performance is good on my machine too - the film presets are fantastic. For me, if people are looking for a solid Lightroom alternative either X4 or ON1 Photo RAW 2019 are the best value at the moment and are far superior to Luminar.

Both have announced full version updates recently and unlike Skylum, they've been very transparent what the new versions will give us.  None of this drip feed of new features to heighten expectations (more Skylum marketing BS), just no nonsense "here's what you going to get".  It is clear both have solid development roadmaps. I'll be upgrading both Exposure (X5) and ON1 (Photo RAW 2020) this fall, partly from the money I'm saving by not purchasing Luminar 4.

Jos Vromen

Same over here, also Exposure X4 ( now waiting for X5). Never used Skylum again. So no more hot computer, no more waiting and definitely no more Skylum. And I was a user from the beginning. 

And no more uninterested remarks from their "help" desk. No more promises, so 

Bye bye Skylum

David Bliss

I feel like I've been duped and I have put it in the hands of Amex to get my money back. I tried Luminar 3 but it causes my computer to overheat and uses 76% of my 8GB of RAM. My motherboard will not accept great than 8. They answer every couple of days by ignoring me. I've never heard of a company that doesn't have a telephone number for support. Clearly there is a scam going on here and as I told the bots who answer my emails, pretty pictures do not make for good customer service. Terrible company confirmed by what I have read here and my next visit is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Kate Williams

Hi Juan José and Carl,

AI Sky Replacement is not the only feature that will come to Luminar 4 and more announcements will follow in August-September-October-November. I am afraid we can't reveal a lot more details about the features at this moment simply because a number of things will be unique to Luminar, but more teasers will be released soon. 

Unlike subscription plans, we are offering lifetime licenses; therefore, you will be able to use the application you've purchased for an unlimited period of time. 

The upgrades are always optional - it's absolutely up to you whether to keep the current version and use it for however much you want or take advantage of the latest releases packed with new amazing features.

Fully realizing that some of our artists would like to keep using Luminar 3 even after the official Luminar 4 release, we are already planning Luminar 3 updates.
    At the moment, our team is putting all their efforts into making your experience with Luminar 3 better.

That is why just within a couple of weeks we'll release the next update that will bring you better performance and greater stability. Again, let me reassure you that we are not laying Luminar 3 aside now, so please stay tuned for future updates.

Please sign in to leave a comment.