Luminar 4 Library - IPTC support?

Answered

Comments

20 comments

K.G. Wuensch

Don't worry, the next version of Luminar will use the GPS metadata to search the image library provided by their preferred artists for a small fee and suggest which image set you should buy to get a proper image of the location that you took the image at as these artists would have taken it. It will replace all instances of your image it can find with that vastly superior JPEG compressed version as the AI has identified that all hobbyists only take meaningless snaps which can be replaced by those artist impressions. Of course the library isn't complete so you'll have to excuse if the nearest geographical match will be provided...

Comment actions Permalink
    Terry Rogers

Hi Vladimir! Please note that developing new unique AI editing features is our top priority now, however, we are not giving up on implementing new Library enhancements either. We will not be charging any additional fees if you purchase the preorder of Luminar 4 now. Not to worry, our roadmap is currently being updated and will soon be revealed again. 

Robert Emery

I am very disappointed that Skylum seems to think that their (now hidden) roadmap is less important than providing cosmetic enhancements that do not address photographers photo information needs. Where is the Metadata connection to photographs modified by Luminar? I try to take the best photographs I can to minimize editing but I need to manage those photographs with GPS data or keywords, or people, etc., etc. If Luminar only tries to put lipstick on pigs, it cannot help  me to exit Adobe’s onerous pricing model and be able to manage  my Libraries and history. The roadmap indicated this was being addressed and would be in a near term release. It appears there must be a new management team that feels the customer input and the previous Skylum statements are not important and those commitments that were made by Skylum for Luminar was are not really commitments. Please tell me that Skylum is hiding enhancements in  Luminar 4 that will actually be there at the product introduction!

Anastasia Davis

Hi Robert! Thank you for sharing your feedback. I will pass your comments to our developers. 
    I am sorry if you felt that we abandoned our previous promises. We still stick to them and will definitely implement those features, just a little bit later. 

Adam Squires

Hi Anastasia, I found this forum post because I too have become concerned about the length of time it is taking to introduce IPTC functionality to Luminar 3 (as suggested by the previous roadmap). If this functionality is no longer going to be available for customers who don't decide to purchase Luminar 4 then I will be requesting my money back for Luminar 3. Breaking promises and asking for more money for features that don't get finished before a new version is released is one sure fire way to annoy customers.

I'm sure you can appreciate where we are coming from and can give me some good news about this.

Adam

Angela Andrieux

Hi Adam,

Luminar 3 users will get IPTC functionality next year in a free update. Our CTO Dima Sytnik addressed this in our latest blog article at https://skylum.com/blog/why-the-new-luminar-has-me-so-excited (scroll down to the section titled What will happen to Luminar 3?)

Erwin Kargl

Oh my good ... the chief product manager got a letter ... and now you kick most of your promises about the DAM functionality! ... sorry but I am getting angry now. Tell your chief product manager, that I need a LR replacement, that´s what I bougth nearly two years ago.

Erwin

Adam Squires

Thanks Angela, good and bad news there. Disappointing to hear that it won't be updated until 2020. Will Luminar 4 also not have IPTC functionality until then?

Helena Carter

Hi Adam,

There's no ETA as for now, but we'll keep you posted. Stay tuned!

James Drury

I'm waiting for this feature before ordering. it looks like amazing software, but the lack of GPS and keyword data in photos is a big deal for me. Aurora HRD 2019 (which I have already bought) also lacks this feature. I don't know when SKYLUM will stop treating photographers like its still 2017. its 2019 FFS, people expect (need) EXIF data in photos.

Gordon Sick

I want to add myself to the list of users who are incredibly disappointed by Skylum's failure to bring IPTC and metadata to Luminar. That promise was the only reason I bought Luminar 2018, 3 and 4 in the first place.

I'm a bird photographer and am happy with Apple's Aperture for photo editing, library management and meta data management. Sadly, Apple has forced me to migrate away from this and to preserve keywords and location data, my choices have fallen between Lightroom and Apple's Photos.

I'm concerned that Adobe will abandon me with Lightroom, if only because their subscription model means I am hooked on LR for life to preserve my photos.

Apple's Photos has moved up in its photo editing capacity (for bird photography, at least). It has superior support for location data, keywords and descriptions to what Luminar offers. It will take Luminar as an Extension, but I rarely find myself wanting to use Luminar as an extension to Photos because it doesn't do much more to help me improve my bird photos. And it takes a lot more time to do it.

The lack of interest that Skylum displays with the importance of metadata is very distressing. With a bird photo, I want to describe the name of the bird, remember the location and be able to offer headlines and comments about the photo (special characteristics of the bird or its behaviour, for example).

It looks like I will have to go another year of bird photography with Photos as my go to Library manager. In 2019, I took over 40,000 bird pictures. I'd like a way of looking at and comparing all my Northern Harrier photos from 2019, for example. Photos will let me do this for my 2019 library, but I have a separate library for 2018, because Photos has trouble with enormous libraries. 

In contrast, Luminar doesn't even let me look for all of my Northern Harrier photos, because I can't assign that metadata to my photos in Luminar. Luminar doesn't even give me the metadata/EXIF data features of Photos. I actually need more than Photos provides, but Luminar only provides promises in this regard and not actual software.

Colin Grant

You will not lose your photos if you cancel an Adobe subscription. What you will lose is access to the Develop module. Metadata has been promised for L3 and 4 sometime this year, I am not holding my breath and given the history my DAM will never be with Luminar anyway. You mentioned Photos, and that does a reasonable enough job at library management and even has geotagging, which is not on Skylum's radar. Why not stick with Photos, using Luminar as an extension? 

I understand your frustration we have all been there but I believe it fair to say that Skylum is no longer trying to compete with Lr. Hence the reason why it works well with Lr and Ps and indeed Photos as a plugin. Luminar as a decent DAM is imo dead in the water. Alternatively you might want to look at NeoFinder, it is a good stand-alone dam.

Lukas

Colin, I basically agree that Photos does a reasonable job. However, for me there are currently two missing main features: Star rating and Stacks. I used both extensively in Aperture and would like to use both in my future work flow.
    Besides, using Luminar 4 as an extension of Photos currently has a major draw back: Adjustments made with Luminar can not be readjusted later on. Once the changes are saved, this version is used as a new master the next time you use Luminar to edit the image.
    So I am still waiting for a solution which allows my previous workflow...

Colin Grant

Lr or the like is your only option because it won’t be Luminar. When I used Photos I just used keywords to compensate for stars, stacking is an issue I agree but if it is not available you cannot have it. Have a look at NeoFinder but not sure it has stacking, not even Capture one has that. As for saving edits I really do believe you are between a rock and a hard place unless you go with that sad excuse for a Library in Luminar.

Luminar is a lost cause. It is flawed and a dumbed down bit of kit aimed at casual users. If you want pro functionality then you need a pro app. There are several alternatives.

Colin Grant

Member, jut a thought - have you looked at Raw Power? It is under active development by a guy who was part of the Aperture team. It is stand-alone or works with Photos and you can continue where you left off even if it is used as a Photos Extension. It is not fully featured yet but it is a good raw editor with a bright future. Might be worth a look!

Gordon Sick

Colin,

Thanks for the link to Raw Power. I'll download it. If it is a non-destructive editor as an extension to Photos, I'll be way ahead of where I am using Luminar because I do like the Aperture-like interface idea.

I was hoping that somebody from the old Aperture team would pick up the ball.

Colin Grant

Just remember that you will lose the edit history if you use a different editor, even Photos. But that would be the same in any app as one app cannot read another’s edit. The only other option that comes to mind is Lr and Ps as I believe the edits are preserved if Luminar is used with smart objects in Ps.

Colin Grant

Gordon, another one that is said to be none-destructive with Photos is Picktorial. Have not used it for ages but it does have masking etc. I think it might have gone subscription but not sure - as I say it has been a while. The only other option is Adobe in that you can use Lr as the dam and base raw editor then you can edit using L4 via smart objects in Ps. Ps will save the file back to Lr and the L4 edits are retained and accessible if you send the file to Ps again. Skylum have been successful it seems in making the smart object route work and seemingly quite well.

Gordon Sick

Colin, thanks for the link to Picktorial. It does seem to have some good DAM tools (metadata and search) plus editing tools. It also works standalone or as a Pictures add-on.

Now, I've got several products to examine carefully for my 2020 photo workflow. 

Colin Grant

Happy to help, Gordon. Let me know how you get on.

Please sign in to leave a comment.