Problem with Luminar 3 - 3.1.2 CPU ideling at 31% and full clock speed

Comments

10 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Robin,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can further investigate this issue. Thanks in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Tihomir Serbic

I have also noticed high CPU utilization and CPU fan frequently coming on. I am not seeing this with any application on my PC, only with Luminar 3. It is definitely somehow related to how Lumiinar utilize the CPU during effect rendering.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Tihomir! Please also reach our support team here: www.skylum.com/support

Mark Armstrong

I have the same situation as well and also high RAM usage. I was monitoring it via task manager and noticed that it took quite a while after closing the program before the usage dropped and the RAM was released. The software gets slower and slower the longer it’s open and steadily consumes more memory (eg memory leak or poor reallocation scheme in the software) until it’s unusable and/or crashes. 

Helena Carter

Hi Mark,

Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Mark Armstrong

Helena-
    Gee, somehow I knew that would be the response. It would be nice if the Skylum POCs could provide more technical support via the forum or at least provide some feedback if something is a known issue or not and if it’s being worked.
    Mark

Helena Carter

Mark, 

We're constantly improving Luminar 3 performance and our developers are aware of the issue with memory leak. However, we're collecting feedback from our customers which will help us fix the issue, that's why we ask you to contact our Support Team via email. Your cooperation is really important for us.

Terje Borchgrevink Nuis

I have the exact same issue. Even overheated my Macbook so much it completely burned inside. Brought it for service at the shop and did not say anything about the relation to Luminar software. Turned out it was beyond repair. After a lot of discussion luckely they refunded me the original value of the macbook and I paid a little  extra and got a new upgraded macbook pro. The second most powerful one. Installed the latest version of Luminar 3.3 (4280) and STILL the exact same problem. Can only work for like 5 min and then it starts freezing and fully throttling and overheating again. It doesn't matter what I do. As soon as I close Luminar the mac immediately cools down and everything is back to normal. I'm literally afraid of using this software any further. I can't come down to that same shop with the same problem again!

I can use ANY other program and NO PROBLEM. Even photoshop or Final Cut Pro  with heavy rendering and will not even get near this hot.

This is no joke. Could actually cost me more than 3000 dollars.

What scares me is that I can read posts about this problem more than a year ago and the problem is still alive and kicking.

I sent in a console report and now waiting for a response and hopefully a quick fix.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Rob Strower

Hello to everybody with this exact problem.

The solution is a pretty "simple" one but right now but limited to the WINDOWS version only, I am afraid.

Using the great tool by Daniel called "Luminar Helper" you can reduce the size of the catalog by eliminating equal files to just one and that way reducing the size of the catalog and in a magical way reducing the load on the CPU.

I did not know that it is a problem of the Apple version either and not only of the WINDOWS version.

Anyway, for the WIN users I highly recommend using Daniel´s little helper tool.

And again, many thanks to Daniel L. for his great job and taking the time and sharing this really helpful thing.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360048095471-Luminar-Helper-

All the best,

Robin

Please sign in to leave a comment.