Comments

22 comments

I would like to know this too.  I have Luminar 3 and Flex.  Right now I am using Flex with Adobe Photoshop Elements.  This is my current preferred workflow.  Will the features in Luminar 4 be added to Flex?

Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Gladstein

Skylum - Please respond. Thanks!!!

Peter Gladstein

Skylum Team - Does Luminar 4 include the Flex app or is that going to be sold separately? May I please have a response. Thanks.

Kirk Osborn

Luminar 4 will have the plugin functionality. You can upgrade your Flex license to Luminar 4.

Peter Gladstein

Thanks for responding but I do not understand your response. Let me re-ask my question. Will there be two products going forward - Luminar 4 and Flex? Also, will Flex be plugin only or can you use it as a standalone app too?

Are you saying that Luminar 4 will completely replace Flex as my plugin?  So will I have to uninstall Flex and use Luminar 4 as a standalone and plugin?  Will Luminar 4 completely replace Luminar 3 so that I will be able to uninstall Luminar 3?

Colin Bester

Response is a little unclear so to get t crux of matter - If I purchase luminar 4 do I get flex free of charge? I don’t need standalone version. 

Terry Rogers

Hi all! We will support these two products separately: Luminar 4 and Luminar Flex. You don't have to uninstall Flex or Luminar 3 and use only Luminar 4 both as a standalone and a plugin. If you're looking for a free version of Luminar Flex, please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will see what we can do for you.

Colin Bester

So I must not take advantage of special early price of luminar 4 and must wait for flex update if I’m not interested in catalog function?

Terry Rogers

@Colin: I'd say that purchasing Luminar 4 is not mandatory if all you need is a plugin. By the way, Luminar Flex has been recently updated to 1.1 Version. Feel free to download it and start your free trial, or you can send us an email to support@skylum.com if you need more help.

I already have Luminar Flex.  Will I have to pay to update to 1.1?

Colin Bester

I ran flex in stand-alone mode and it updated to 1.1.

Kate Williams

@Member, all the updates of the current version are free.

Here's how to update Luminar Flex:

1. Launch Luminar Flex in a standalone mode 
    2. Click Luminar Flex in the upper left corner of your screen if you're on Mac, or Help if you're on Windows.
    3. Click Check for Updates.

The latest version of Luminar Flex is 1.1.0 (5686) on Mac and 1.1.0 (3435) on Windows.

Okay I updated my Flex.  So now I have Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex.  Does Flex have the same updates found in Luminar 4?  Or will there be an upgrade to Flex in the near future.  I am using Flex as a plugin now and can’t see buying Luminar 4 if I don’t need it.  

Angela Andrieux

Luminar 4 (coming late fall) will be a paid major version upgrade for both Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex.

Your licenses for Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex will not expire and you'll be able to continue using them if you choose not to upgrade.

Colin Bester

@Angela, looking at all these comments and knowing background to my question I do think Skylum teams needs to be clear and precise on answers as they're all a little ambiguous.

I suspect questions stem from fact that Skylum said that they are going to separate Luminar and Flex in the future and version 4 sounds an ideal time to do this. For many of us committed to Lightroom yet wanting to use your plugin we don't need the full Luminar version and are interested in Flex version even though Luminar #4 can still operate as plugin (which is confusing to say the least as why then have Flex).

So this all boils down to: We want same editing functionality but no catalog feature and are under impression this is reason for Flex's existence. So do we wait for Flex update to meet same functionality as Luminar 4 (and if so, when) or do we spring for Luminar 4 now, fully expecting Flex 4 equivalent to be free to us because we purchased Luminar 4.

Hoping I didn't make this more complicated.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

I'll do my best to shed some light on this for you.

Luminar 4 is the universal upgrade for both L3 and Flex. To the best of my knowledge, there will not be a Luminar Flex 2.0. Those who want Skylum's new, innovative editing tools (such as the recently announced AI Sky Replacement) will need to upgrade to Luminar 4 which will be the solution for both standalone and plugin users.

Right now Luminar 3 has the library module (not included in Flex) and Flex has the more sophisticated plugin capabilities (compatible with Photoshop Smart Object workflows, Actions, etc. which aren't present in Luminar 3). Both sets of tools will be reintegrated into a single application with Luminar 4.

Please let me know if I can further clarify anything.

Scott Masterton

I agree with some of the comments above about the vagueness of answer so we are a further 2 months down the line and yes I would like some further clarification on this please.

1. So to confirm...  going forward there will only be Luminar 4 and there is not going to be anymore development of Flex? 

2. If the answer to point 1 is yes, then is Luminar 4 when used as a plugin with Photoshop going to have the smart object functionality that was built into Flex?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Scott,

I'm happy to clarify for you.

1. Yes, Going forward from the fall launch there will only be Luminar 4.

2. Yes, Luminar 4 will have the same plugin capabilities as Luminar Flex.

How is this so complicated? Other apps simply work as a standalone and as a plugin if it supports the functionality for certain software. 

I just pre-orderd L4 and currently on a trial for L3. I see the Flex in "edit In" from LR but all it does is create a new file with Lightroom adjustments. Nothing happens after that. Doesn't show in PS by the way. My windows and Adobe software are all up-to-date.

Also LR3 is the buggiest (particularly the library) app I've used and very slow reminiscent of early LR versions and ON1 up to early 2018. I hope some optimizations were made in L4...?!

Colin Grant

Flex works perfectly with Lr, on Mac anyway. Lr automatically sends across a tiff with all my Lr edits baked in for further editing in Flex and Flex sends that tiff back to Lr where it sits besides the original. And it shows under Filters in Ps.

Helga Rowles

Hi Member, please try to invoke the Flex plugin like this:

Right-click on an image>Export>Luminar Flex>Open Source Files / Edit Copy with Lightroom adjustments.

As for PS, please try the following solution:

• Make sure photoshop is closed.
    • Launch Luminar Flex
    • Click File > Install Plugins.
    • Click Uninstall next to Photoshop
    • Restart your computer
    • Launch Luminar Flex
    • Click File > Install Plugins
    • Then click Install to install the plugin again.

Regarding the third question, Luminar 4 will certainly benefit from a better performance, and we'll continue to improve the performance of Luminar 3 as well.

Please sign in to leave a comment.