Comments

14 comments

Jos Vromen

I think now is the time we have to decide between Flex and Luminar so a clear answer is necessary.

Comment actions Permalink
    PF BENTLEY

I just heard back from Skylum. It took three tries to get a straight answer about this.  It seems Luminar and Flex will not be the same programs with the only difference being the data management included in Luminar.  I was under the impression that Flex would be the same just a plug-in and no data management - which works fine for me and others.  But if Flex is going to not have the same features and will be sort of a second class program - what's the point?  

This is the answer:

The Sky Replacement will be available for Luminar 4 only.

You will be able to use Luminar 4 as both, a stand-alone program and a plugin.

Howard Lebowitz

In the Luminar for Mac thread a Skylum employee said that Luminar 4 works as both plug-in and stand alone. So it is the Flex upgrade too,

See: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360048017471/comments/360006754032 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion about this! Luminar 4 will be an upgrade for both Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex. Luminar 4 will have both plugin and standalone capabilities.

Colin Grant

So why on earth did you launch Flex? Might just of well kept 2018!

Colin Grant

So why on earth did you launch Flex? Might just of well kept 2018!

PF BENTLEY

Skylum hyped Flex, I transferred all my settings from Luminar 3 to Flex and now have to transfer it all again to Luminar 4.  Skylum needs to get it's marketing plan together for the long run.    Now Flex is dead and was just someone's half-assed idea that they put out there.   I Knew something was wrong when Accent 2.0 came out for Luminar 3 and not Flex at the same time.  What was the point - to confuse and piss off customers?    I'm a photojournalist and don't have time for this crap.  Obviously the company is in some sort of chaos  - not even an apology from the CEO.  Bad business.

Ronald Skinner

So they came out with Luminar 3 and libraries didn't work, people got pissed so they figured lets come out with Flex so people don't have to use libraries, then they danced around and said soon Luminar 3 is what to use as standalone and Flex as a plugin, just to add more to the confusion, now they are making a new version that puts Luminar 3 and Flex together again and charging you more money. It's crazy, they should of just kept going with Luminar 2018 that everyone liked and behind the scenes worked on the DAM and when they got a full featured DAM and Lightroom replacement working only then should they release a new product.  I'm now using ON1 so I really don't care what they do next. They'll probably come up with an AI head changer, swap people's heads by selecting the heads you wanna swap and with one click of the button the heads will be changed, only problem is you have to use the Skylum replacement heads, you can't use your own.

Richard Harrington

Luminar Flex uses a different interface and has some different under the hod stuff that enable better plugin functionality.

After hearing from many people who want to use both (and wanting to keep all things in sync), it was decided to merge the products back together.

When you launch Luminar 4, you will be able to run it as a plugin only.  It will have an installer and behave just like Flex, but with more features.

You will also be able to choose to install it as a photo editor or as a library tool.

This is why we are saying that Luminar 4 is an update to Flex, Luminar 3, and Luminar 2018;  All three workflows are fully supported under Luminar 4.

Flex owners (and all owners) will have offers to upgrade at a discount.  Upgrades are optional and you can decide if you like the new features or want to wait until future upgrades/updates tickle your interest.

i hope that helps.

PF BENTLEY

This is what we need to know.

If there's an update/upgrade to any part of Luminar 4 in the future will that be on all formats of Luminar at the same time plug-in mode or not?

Hopefully if the answer is yes, it will not be another half-baked idea tossed out at the consumer.  

Angela Andrieux

Hi PF BENTLY,

When Luminar 4 gets updates, all users (plugin and standalone) will have access to that update. Some updates, however, may benefit one group of users more than the other if for instance the added functionality is for the library - plugin users won't see any change.

PF BENTLEY

Thank you.  That is understandable and makes sense.   

Angela Andrieux

Happy to help! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Howard Lebowitz

Angela, thanks for the clarification. This makes more sense than the earlier either/or approach with Flex. Hopefully this approach will allow your team to develop more stable apps...

Please sign in to leave a comment.