Comments

14 comments

Tom Pickering

It's likely they won't be working on Luminar 3 any longer since they just announced Luminar 4 today which is arriving some time this fall.

https://skylum.com/luminar-l4pl3?utm_source=Macphun+Friends&utm_campaign=0262ec3efa-Luminar_4_Early_birds_Lum18_own_Mac_EN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_912838542a-0262ec3efa-275840701&mc_cid=0262ec3efa&mc_eid=e4ad5b588a 

Comment actions Permalink
    Tomas Nilsén

Yeah version 4 is up and they just slap us windows user that don't have a proper working v3.

The money seems more important

John Tweddell

Surely they will sort out the bugs on 3 before they ditch work on it. If not, I’m not sure I will trust them enough to buy 4

Ron Lawrence

LOL! And I believe in Tinker Bell, the Tooth Fairy and transparent tech firms!

John Tweddell

These are the things we were promised from v3 - some are srtill missing eg virtual copies -  so I am hoping they will be sorted before they switch to 4

• Raw + JPG (Luminar Libraries) – You’ll be able to work with Raw & JPG versions of the same image in a more convenient way. View as a single image, but switch between versions in real time.
    • Virtual Copies (Luminar Libraries) – You’ll be able to create versions of a photo with different styles, adjustments, editing history, etc. This is especially useful when you want to try different looks on the same image.
    • IPTC edit & sync (Luminar Libraries) – You’ll be able to edit core IPTC info. Plus create custom presets related to IPTC data and sync these presets across multiple images.
    • Hidden Features (Powered by AI) – We are busy working on more smart tools powered by Artificial Intelligence to give you more powers when editing skin on portraits, architecture; removing objects or simply applying masks on your images.
    • Lightroom Migration Tool – You will be able to move your data and images from Adobe Lightroom to Skylum Luminar.
    • Smart Search (Luminar Libraries) – You’ll be able to quickly find the image you need, using keywords, EXIF information and file names
    Greg Luckett

Exactly John. And it would be included in the free updates in functionality that were to happen until at least late 2019. And now it comes in the form of a paid upgrade because "it is a whole new app"???? Come on Skylum, what a bunch of crap!

K.G. Wuensch

@Greg, I just read the response from Skylum support to a German guy inquiring about that very issue and it seems that Luminar 4 will not be a continuation of the Luminar 3 line but rather a total shift in focus - concentrating on one click „AI“ image enhancements which the „artists they asked were more interested in than anything else“ (paraphrasing their automatically translated response).

Greg Luckett

@K..G., yeah I've seen that same canned response in several threads and I think that's why everyone is upset at this point. They are delivering something other than what was promised when they asked us to upgrade to Luminar 3.

Guy M

The fact is, if they are not delivering what was promised in their timeline to Luminar 3, we should be getting refunds. People bought it on the promise of those features coming, and they won't be.

I certainly won't be buying another Skylum product in a long time, if ever.

K.G. Wuensch

@Guy, I have bailed a long time ago (and got my money back a year on from purchase because they had stealthily changed rendering numerous times which for me is absolutely intolerable because that invalidated the work I put into using Luminar) - but am here because I need to be able to support friends of mine who unfortunately bought Luminar on my recommendation and who come to me for advice - which at the moment would be not to upgrade because to me it seems that they have falsely advertised to be developing a DAM (which they haven't), aspiring to replace Lightroom (which they are further away from than ever), that there would be no paid for upgrades in 2019 (on one hand they say it's an upgrade price and on the other it's not a continuation of the Luminar 3 product - so what's the truth, it seems they themselves don't know) and given their track record I doubt that much development will be happening to Luminar 3 in the foreseeable future, even if there will be small changes in the months to come, sooner than later Luminar 3 will share the fate of Luminar 2018 and Luminar 2017 (formerly known as Luminar Neptune) - complete and utter abandonment, shortly followed by sharing the fate of the CK applications... 

Guy M

@K.G. Wuensch - How did you go about getting a refund a year on? I think I will ask for one based on all this.

Roman Buss

Luminar 3 is a disaster. Nothing is going right. It's a slap in the face for all buyers of Luminar 3 that upgraded a paid program to a new version, which has to be paid again. I don't trust this software anymore. So I will certainly not update to version 4 if not even version 3 does satisfactory work. I hoped that Skylum would learn from its mistakes, but seemingly the business is more important than a satisfied customer. The great announced tools in Luminar simply don't work satisfactorily.

Perhaps the makers of Luminar will reconsider their decisions. With so many complaints and dissatisfied customers this should actually happen.

Anders Svensson

Here's a recent comment from Support about the roadmap:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360048082631/comments/360006751031

So, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything that was promised to arrive in Luminar 3, and given Skylum's track record, I wouldn't bank on 4 or any other specific version either. Everything is coming in a future release, with no ETA.

All that's been promised for 4 is sky replacement: I wouldn't expect anything more than a half-baked implementation of that. (For those who are interested in it, which I'm not.)

I've also bailed. Skylum has simply not delivered a stable application that can be relied upon and has broken too many things along the way (eg. lmnr projects, variable rendering from release to release). I complained and received a refund, which was a reasonable response, so that's at least one thing they did right.

Anders Svensson

Here's another one:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360048017471/comments/360006754032

Anyone waiting for what's been previously promised is in for a long wait I suspect.

Please sign in to leave a comment.