Luminar 4.....Really????

Comments

63 comments

Ross Collins

Regrettably, Skylum has completely lost its way.

We are told the focus has "shifted" to "innovative features including AI technologies" and that the "promised Library enhancements" are now "in the long-term".  As best we can tell from the spin, from Luminar 4, Flex (which was never on the product route map) will be folded back into core product and, in the meantime, it is hoped 20,000 L3 users will stump up $1,000,000 to keep the Skylum ship afloat.

However, I would be most surprised if Skylum survives another 12 months, maybe much less, and expect it will disappear from sight as just another sad case of inept business and product management.  I've moved on.

Comment actions Permalink
    Howard Lebowitz

@RussCollins

What product(s) are you selecting to replace Luminar/Flex? 

Forgetting about the Library "feature" I like the filter tools. I have used Skylum (Macphun) since the Creative Kit days and still like the original apps, especially Tonality and Snap Heal.

I would not be surprised, assuming Skylum survives, if the Library disappears from future versions.

You are totally correct: they have lost sight of the goals. They are great at making editing tools and have no expertise in DAM. If they do refocus on making great plug-in editing tools they could do OK. 

Since I quit the Adobe CC world I am using the free Bridge for a file viewer and Affinity Photo as a PS replacement. Combined with the creative tools in Luminar that is enough for me.

Jim West

@Phil,   Yes I was not impressed with ON1 earlier versions either. But the latest version really got my attention. I got so fed up with Adobe that I took another look at ON1 version 2019 and decided to switch over in March. I paid $69 on a special pricing. My only complaint is that it is slow rendering photos. But it has almost all the same features as LR/PS. AND it supports my new Z6.  Their DAM uses you’re existing file folders so their is no huge library file. 

It has has all of these features that are missing in Luminar:

A DAM that works

Lens correction data base with many many lenses included 

Imports photos directly from camera

Pano stitching and HDR bracketing

Many different filters...not just presets which it has also has

Face recognition for portrait enhancements

Watermarking

Text layers

All of the same develop areas and sliders as LR...I did a RAW file comparison with LR by setting all of the sliders to the same values and the result in ON1 was identical. 

AND you can send files into Luminar, Noiseless CK, Aurora, LR and PS for editing. 

I tried lots of alternatives before settling on the newest Version of ON1 raw. They are such a professional company and they listen to their customers. They have a huge listing of enhancement suggestions that you

can vote on. They Do NOT over promise and under deliver. I just wish the photo rendering was faster but I am sure they are working on that as well. 

So give it a try...It is not perfect but for the $ is a worthy alternative to LR/PS never mind Skylum. 

Jos Vromen

Might be software to consider. Right now I'm testing Exposure X4 because Luminar 3 had let me down. It suddenly became buggy and asked (too) much from my processor. For me it's still beta software but I don't let it destroy my computer.

Konrad Seidel

I'm using LR6 and CaptureOne and Luminar3, still looking and hoping for ONE replacement of LR. Luminar has some really nice developing tools, but the DAM is slow and buggy, not usable. I understand that the development of the software cost a lot of money and I am willing to pay for it. So I paid for the upgrade to Luminar 4 hoping the bugs and speed issues in the library and DAM are resolved also. I do not need any sky replacement tool at all, I paid for the upgrade hoping that Luminar gets a library wich works as good as LR or Capture One (even it was promised for Luminar3).

Using three softwares is painful, but Luminar has the opportunity to get THE one software. But it has to fix the issues in the DAM and library FIRST. Also the speed of exporting and also the feature of creating virtual copies!!!  

Phil Hurd

The DAM should be upgraded in Luminar 3 Konrad because that was what was promised.

Konrad Seidel

Yes, true. Maybe I paid for a feature I have no use for. I read all the comments here after I paid. My fault ;-)

My opinion is the same the most users have: FIRST a DAM and library wich works, and features like virtual copies and speed improvements! Then all the gimmicks like sky replacement! 

Kirk Osborn

We are going to add the support of IPTC metadata, search tool and some other features in Luminar 3 in the future updates. Please stay tuned.

Warren Light

Does anyone here use Mylio for a DAM?  It is great for searching, face recognition, presentations and automatically  maintaining archive copies on various devices.  I can also display my archived photos on IOS devices.

Warren Light

I want the DAM and other promised functionalities like metadata in Luminar.  No sub-albums? Stupid!  No keywords? Astonishingly inadequate.  I don't care if it is v3 or v4 as long as it is SOON.  Also, I don't know how to use Aurora HDR with Luminar and its DAM.  It is not reasonable to live with a forked processing flow.

I agree that the AI sky replacement is unethical.  I could not ever show a finished photo of mine with someone else's sky!  That would only be a lie.

Then there are the bugs:  Slow switching between photos in the 'Library'; Sometimes opening the wrong photo for edit; bother me the most.

Phil Hurd

No use for me Warren because I have 50,000 RAW images and I refuse to pay for a subscriptioon service. Might as well stick with Lightroom.

Phil Hurd

Warren, the lack of interoperability between Luminar 3 and Aurora HDR 2019 is simply unforgivable as far as I am concerned. I can select 3 x bracketed images in my current (free) image catalogue (XnViewMP) and send them to Aurora HDR 2019 but I can't do it with Luminar 3. That's simply just shoddy.

The way to do it from Luminar at the moment, is to select the 3 x bracketed images in Luminar and drag/drop them onto the Aurora dock icon. This will open the 3 images in Aurora for merging & editing. When in Aurora, you can use Luminar 3 for editing the merged file as a Plugin. However when you are happy with the end result, you have to either save the edit in propriaetry Skylum format or Export the image back to your file system.

Withe regard to the DAM being available in Luminar 3 or 4 (I note you don't care), I do care, very much. I purchased the original version of  Luminar on the promise of a DAM and am not going keep paying Skylum for something gthey should have delivered a long time ago.

Kate Williams

@Warren, 

We'll be gradually adding the promised functionalities in Luminar. You may check our Roadmap to see what's planned for the nearest future: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

if you are on Windows, you'll be able to send the photo from Aurora HDR 2019 to Luminar 3, but not vice versa, for now. Once we launch third-party plugin support on Windows, that will be possible too. 

Here's how you can 'link' two apps:

1. Open a photo in Aurora.
    2. Click Plugins >  Other > Open Plugin.
    3. Navigate to the folder where your copy of Luminar 3 is installed. By default it's C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 3.
    4. Double-click Luminar3.8bf. Luminar 3 should open as a plugin in Aurora.

If you are on Mac, you'll be able to send an image from Luminar 3 to Aurora by right-clicking it and selecting "Open in...". In addition, you'll be able to invoke Luminar 3 as a plugin from Aurora, having linked both apps in the following way: 

• Open Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and paste the following path: /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software/Luminar3/Plug-Ins. There will be a bunch of files in there, the one you're interested in has .plugin extension.
    • Copy the .plugin file somewhere where you can easily find it.
    • In Aurora, click Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Aurora to the .plugin file you just copied. Luminar should open.

If you'd like us to take a closer look at the issues you are facing, please, get in touch with us at https://skylum.com/support

John Tweddell

Installed the update and followed the advice to add a plugin - however with all of these I still cannot round trip from Luminar 3. When I click open in Luminar it takes me to the “buy” web page. The advice allows me to open from aurora HDR to apply filters but not add the file to my Luminar catalogue. Am I doing something wrong?

Phil Hurd

John, there is no interoperability between Luminar 3 & Aurora 2019, read my post.

If you want to be able to access the HDR image you have created in the Luminar DAM, then you have to EXPORT it from Aurora 2019 to the same folder where the original 3 images reside. After doing this, Aurora 2019 will ask you to SAVE the file and if you are happy with your efitd, then just say no to this.

Hope that helps

John Tweddell

Thats what I am doing. However, " no interoperability between Luminar 3 & Aurora 2019, read my post" To me that seems to be a rather basic flaw, surely you should be able to do this as you write both programs and they are both part of a normal work flow. Will it ever be added?

John Tweddell

By the way, will we be getting 'versions' in 3 - couldn't see it in the new roadmap

Phil Hurd

@John Tweddell, I think you are asking the wrong person. Maybe Skylum could answer your questions

Kate Williams

@John, Phil's right, at the moment, you won't be able to send the file from Aurora directly into the DAM. The workaround mentioned above allows only to edit the picture in Luminar, and then get it back to Aurora. 

Aurora HDR 2019 needs to be updated before it can fully support Luminar 3. However, unfortunately, there's no precise ETA for when the following update will be available.

Currently, we're focused on developing our main product - Luminar. Our team is working on Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex updates as well as on the development of Luminar 4 in order to deliver you the best product we can. 

However, once we have any news regarding Aurora HDR 2019 update, we'll inform our community immediately. 

Would you be so kind as to clarify your question regarding versions?

Phil Hurd

I have to say that for those of us that take a lot of HDR images, that's pretty bad news @Kate Williams. Much better if Skylum got the basics right first i.e. a working DAM, interoperability between all of ts products, then and only then should you be looking at other stuff.

John Tweddell

Hi Kate by versions I mean alternative versions of the same original but as a different worked ‘version’ of the file. It was promised in the original roadmap before that was replaced.

Mirco Egon In-Albon

Dear all

somehow it makes me proud that i started with this thread one of the most commented in the Luminar Community, i hope it shows skylum that they are doing, acting and developing completely wrong, i liked the filters, the looks, worked with 1 or some few pictures, but with the size of my db skylum was not able to give me a satisfying answer or solution, Skylum cost me a lot of time, and as so, a lot of money. the customer support resulting in the customer experience is some of the worst i've ever seen. said so, i would like to say goodbye, thanks to skylum ripping off my money and not giving it back, thanks to skylum for promising bullshit. i did not like the adobe subscription, but since i switched back to adobe lightroom i am saving a tremendous amount of time, and especially nerves. Wish you all good luck waiting skylum delivering a working product. 

Warren Light

I have decided to migrate my 857 'test' images from Luminar 3 to an excellent DAM product called Mylio with which I have about 8,00 images stored. I like that Mylio can automatically manage archives on my Mac, IOS and even on flash memory.  It also provides a photo viewer on my IOS devices with much greater search facilities than on Luminar 3 or on their 'roadmap'.  Luminar's DAM simply is too difficult to use.  Too simple.   Too slow.  Too unreliable.  I cannot search my images by keyword, by location, by faces.  Only search by the photo's rating oy by a color tag.  What about album hierarchy?  Nope.

Using Luminar 3 as a photo viewer is a cruel joke.  No one wants to wait for each successive image to focus and to re-work the editing in front of them.  They only wish to quickly move through the finished product.  Just to add injury to insult,

When I reviewed my test images exported out of Luminar 3, I discovered that it had dropped about a third of my editing work - simply gone.  What good is a great editor to me if it cannot remember my work?  None.  I generally take about 500 pix on any photo trip and the work flow using Luminar as an adjunct to the really good Mylio DAM is simply too arduous, too slow.

Warren Light

Edit? I have about 8,000 images in the in the very fast and sophisticated DAM that I use.  I am an amateur photographer.  The Mylio DAM maintains an archive on a 256 GB thumb drive on my keychain so I have an 'off-site' backup wherever I go that is non-propriatory.  Luminar should be able to do all this.

Phil Hurd

I have over 50,000 RAW files and for me Mylio is a subscription service. So far as I am concerned no different to signing up nto Lightrooom

Helga Rowles

Hi Warren, please make sure to choose the top adjustment layer when you export an image from Luminar. Otherwise, the image will only contain the edits made on the selected layer and the layers below.

Mike McClure

I agree with the other posts. I've been a MacPhun client from the beginning, prior to the Skylum name change and the release of Luminar & Aurora. I own the Creative Kit Plus apps in addition to Aurora 2019 and all of the variations of Luminar up to v3. I've bought into Skylum and don't want to go to another editing program, HOWEVER, I feel I've helped Skylum by paying for all the other apps and upgrades over the years. Why should I pay for the Luminar 4 upgrade when we haven't received all the promised features in Luminar 3. I'm going to wait it out.

Phil Hurd

Completely agree Mike

Sean Gordon

Completely agree with Mike - Why pay for an updgrade when the features we were originally promised have still not been delivered?

For me it's time to cut my losses, dump Luminar and look for software which delivers what it promises!

Sam C

All comments here have been completely ignored, just like all the other posts.

Luminar 4 doesn't contain any enhancements to library or catalog - which it "upgrades". Mine ended up going from 5 gb to 33gb with 700 photos in it. (I've logged a ticket)

The new shiny software is no more than some UI fixes - underneath it's the same old story - buggy, unstable and just as slow.

Don't waste your money upgrading.

Please sign in to leave a comment.