Comments

12 comments

Roger Staerk

Hi Dayo

Thanks for your answer...

hmmmm... And Skylum is thinking that this nice DAM-feature "On this day" is more important than native support for Canon's CR3 Format? If we cannot edit RAWs (without workaround DNG converting), what shall we do with this On-this-day-feature?

So my actual workflow is still in Lightroom... 

Please Skylum... be honest and tell your customers a truly roadmap... It is important!!!

Then if we (your customers) can trust in Skylum, that this CR3 support is coming in eg. 6 weeks... we can decide to stay at Luminar - or purchase an additional year for Lightroom abo...

But for now... you tell us only that the devs are working hard for this implementation... since month... !!

And then a new release is coming out, with for me not so important features...

And I am wondering how Adobe could implement CR3 support so fast... So whats the problem? License fees? Market shares? Nikon vs Canon? 

So if you support more camera models more quickly, you will have more customers with these different camera models... So easy...

Comment actions Permalink
    Vance Zachary

Skylum wrote in another thread that their developers were having trouble decoding and incorporating Cr3 files into Luminar 3 but that they were avidly working on it.

Markus Ullius

I can't take this company serious anymore. 

If you want to use.CR3-files: DON'T BUY SKYLUM PRODUCTS.

And the way they handle .CR3-users I don't think, buying Skylum products is a good investment in general. They let you down some day

Markus Ullius

The tools I use that are supporting the cr3-Format:

• macOS Mojave (Photos, Preview by pressing the spacebar, ...)
    • Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher
    • captureOne Pro (I had I trial-version in December)

As far as I know (but don't use these tools but other users reported it)

• Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop

So I don't think this format is a big secret/encrypting myst...

But if features such as "On that day" are more important to Skylum...

K.G. Wuensch

@Dayo, if you look at the available resources you‘ll find that CR3 are not encrypted, just mathematically complex - and Skylum relies on libraw which is an open source project which is run by enthusiasts which seem to lack the mathematical knowledge (or fear the patent that is held by Canon and others because the format is a derivate of video compression) to decode that wavelet decomposition... So you are quite wrong regarding encryption!

K.G. Wuensch

@Dayo, if you had looked correctly libraw hasn‘t got the CR3 support yet, it‘s due to be added when finalized by the developers from Fastrawviewer...

K.G. Wuensch

Maybe the Luminar support shouldn‘t write that their developers are working hard on CR3 support when in fact they are simply waiting for libraw to deliver it to them eventually... Otherwise I would expect commits attributed to Skylum developers in the libraw repository!

K.G. Wuensch

Yet the problem isn‘t Canons fault, they are in fact using a well documented yet computationally complex and highly efficient compression scheme - which is a byproduct of having a part of the processing pipeline dedicated to video. It rather exposes a problem in the reliance by many on the same core ingredient (libraw) which becomes the bottleneck if they can‘t fathom the format. What I don‘t like in Skylum‘s statements is their IMHO dishonesty. Instead of telling their customers „hey, we are waiting for libraw to support the format“ they say „we are working hard on it“. I‘d expect commits to the libraw public repository if the latter were the case...

K.G. Wuensch

"Well, wouldn't be surprised if they do indeed use LibRAW." - well when they used to post their list of supported cameras it was the unaltered list yanked from the source code of LibRAW: https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/Supported_cameras_Luminar_3.pdf

Markus Ullius

No doubt there are tools supporting cr3 and there are tools not supporting cr3. And regardless of what's behind the code (3rd party, own code) - the tools I want to use are Luminar, Aurora, ... and they do not support cr3. As an enduser I don't see what's behind - and I honestly don't care. All other tools I use support cr3 - and that is what counts for me in the end: Is my workflow supported? Can I use the tool - and in the Skylum-case I'm waiting since last October...

Andy Thomas

This is a very relevant and informative thread, especially given the deafening silence from Skylum representatives. As a Luminar user/customer I see three problems:
    1. Canon releasing a new RAW format (two, if you include C-RAW CR3) without working with the imaging software vendors. The poster who questioned why we would even use Canon cameras has a point!
    2. Skylum relying on an open-source library without (from what I can see on Github) contributing
    3. Skylum telling their customers that they are working on it around the clock when this appears to be patently false.

I pity the poor devs who are working on the LibRaw (most of the commits are by just two devs). How come the big companies that Dayo listed above are not all over this Github project?

Iliah Borg

Dear Gentlemen:

Unfortunately, Mr. Coffin never cooperated with us in any direct manner, let alone helped us decode CR3 files. The major work on decoding CR3 files was performed by Alexey Danilchenko, see https://www.rawdigger.com/news/rawdigger-1-2-26

We have plans to release CR3 support in the next snapshot, which is due in the Fall.

LibRaw Team also makes FastRawViewer and RawDigger, same people.

--

Best regards,
    Iliah Borg
    LibRaw, LLC
    www.libraw.org
    www.rawdigger.com
    www.fastrawviewer.com

Please sign in to leave a comment.