Relive your best memories with Luminar 3.1.2

Pinned Featured

Comments

30 comments

Jeremy Dinn

I'll be very honest with you, I can notice hardly any speed improvement at all. It does scroll faster though, so that's cool. When is this software actually going to feel like it's not bloated to all hell. I'm a loyal user and I'm going to be, because let's face it Lightroom is evil and I can no longer support Adobe (subscriptions are generally evil for things like this). Also, Luminar makes my photos look incredible and is very user friendly, so I'll take it for how powerful of a tool it truly is.

Can you just explain to me what performance and stability has truly been changed? Those are very generic patch notes as far as I'm concerned. The changes were not too noticeable if I'm really being honest here. Either way I'm along for the ride with this software, as my girlfriend who actually has a 4 year degree in photography (Northern Kentucky University) loves the results I get, and I just do this for a hobby. One thing I would love to compliment the staff on is reading the forums and responding to people. Thanks for that. 

Jos Vromen

Is it just me, or is the erase tool not complete working?

I can ERASE but when I go back to the EDIT the changes are gone.

Jos

Shirley-Ann George

Since 3.1.1 I haven’t been able to use Luminar because it can’t load the catalog.  I was told that this update would fix the problem.  No improvement.  I’m so-o-o disappointed.  Does anyone know of a fix - beyond moving to another platform.  Thanks

Helena Carter

Hi Jos, Shirley,

Please, contact us via https://skylum.com/support so we could investigate these issues.

Jos Vromen

I would  but the link doesn't work (Page not found)

Regards,

Jos

Jos Vromen

BTW I have one version of Luminar on my Imac that works fine. The one on the MacBook is the one that gives the little trouble.

Regards,

Jos

Gil Delavous

Well I'm kinda confused by Skylum priorities.

This new "On this day" feature seems more a social network thing than are real photography tool.

I wouldn't mind about "almost useless" features if the software was bug free, fast as a rocket and full of real photographer useful tools, like a rock solid printing module. 

Don't you think your development team should concentrate on optimizing Luminar so it runs much faster? I mean how come it takes me almost a minute to open a brand new RAW file for editing when it takes a few seconds in Lightroom? Same computer on both.

Why do I have to wait 2-3 minutes at each launch of Luminar before the gallery update ends? Don't you know about caches and proxies to speed up things?

This software could easily be a major product for photographers but its currently too damn slow and buggy.

I still have faith that's why I didn't send it to the trash yet, but please allow your resources on speeding it first, then add useful photographers tools, then the gadgets.

Agree with Gil. Luminar is perfect and doesn't need these new features. We need a stable program that doesn't consume massive amounts of CPU/battery and works without major lagging. I will download this update tonight and i'm really hoping it's sped up a bit, but it has been so difficult to work with because of how slow the software is.

If this lag can be fixed I will once again start recommending this software to all of my photo friends! Hoping this starts to become priority in the upcoming updates as it is a major issue for me and others in the forum. I can edit a photo in 60 seconds and export in 5 seconds in LR, but takes me 3 to 5 minutes to edit due to lag and then 30 seconds to export in Luminar. If this can be fixed I will be your biggest ambassador!!

Colin Grant

Hardly think Luminar is perfect, far from it in fact. But I really do not see the point of "on this day. A proper search would be far better so we could search on the metadata fields just like Lr and ON1 et al.  However am I correct in believing that the exif data is not now being stripped out when exporting from RAF to jpeg? It looks that way here.

Andrew Hewitt

I have to agree with you guys here. I can see no real use in the ‘on this day’ feature. It’s very gimmicky, and as mentioned, too reminiscent of social media features.

I’m away from my desktop machine at the moment, so haven’t tried this update yet, but comments here do suggest that they have very misguided priorities.

It was originally marketed as a competitor/replacement for Lightroom, but it’s way off that target. Some of us have been waiting for the promised Lightroom killer since paying for it in October 2017, so it’s not surprising patience is running thin.

I’ve said before that it does give excellent results in editing, which is why I continue to keep it installed, and continue to have hope in its future. But seriously you Skylum developers, you need to prioritise much better, and fix issues before releasing insignificant new headline features.

cheers

Andy

Anna Veres

Hi Andrew, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

We have forwarded it to the person in charge for further consideration. 

Angelo D'Souza

It's so hard to see and fathom why this developer continues to forge forward without regard to the platform's stability as it's number priority. There are still way too many issues with the base software, to begin with. Skylum and Alex Tsepko (CEO) please pay attention to what your customers are telling you!   

Colin Grant

My feeling is that the code base is rubbish and Luminar needs re-writing from the ground up. The CEO will of course never admit to this (he admits to nothing and in my view is very arrogant) and will continue as is, adding silly enhancements (like This Day) in the hope it will make people believe Skylum has something to offer. They need a new boss if this is going to be anything but a toy.

As many have mentioned above, please please please just keep the great editing features, remove the "bloat," and most importantly give us some software which actually runs smoothly and quickly. That what the majority of users seem to be asking for. I bought Luminar this year, and so far have been very disappointed. 

Andrew Hewitt

@Anna Veres, thanks for responding, and I hope you can appreciate how frustrating this is becoming for many of us.

I have now tried the update, and sadly little improvement with the speed at all. Even without going into the edit module, browsing is just slow too. It takes many seconds for each image to render fully. This make it impossible, or at least very frustrating, to use Luminar as a viewer once you've done any editing.

It seems to me that Luminar is not managing to make use of any kind of files that could speed up viewing, or opening an image for editing. There seems to be no utilisation of previews or cache files at all. At the very least it should be able to open a fast preview/cached version of any image, and only re-render from the master if either something has been changed, or it needs a higher resolution preview than the one available.

At this time, as much as I don't like the Adobe subscription system, it is still providing me with the most stable and best value package overall. You really need to see what the competition is providing, and understand that you are actually competing with them.

As I've said before, the results I get are usually stunning, which makes it all the more frustrating. Even worse now, you've separated the plugins setup into a different app, but haven't maintained feature parity, so it's all becoming a bit of a mess.

It seems you're putting a lot of effort into a lot of features and new ideas, and the concepts are great, but they need to work properly.

Best regards.

Andy

Chris Cole

All of these silly additions mean nothing if the users supporting you can’t even use the software.

I had a functioning copy of Luminar 3 for the better part of a year and by me trying to add new folders to my Luminar catalog from within Luminar itself, it has broken and become literally useless because it’s stuck on “updating image gallery” indefinitely.

I’m clearly not the only one with this issue judging by the various threads with many of us reporting the same issue, some of which haven’t been able to use it for over two months.

I’ve done everything support has suggested many times over and nothing has worked, so support just stops responding because something is obviously broken and they don’t have a fix for it.

Then there’s the slow performance and all the weird bugs and glitches like image ghosting while cropping, and weird artifacts in previews or even in edit mode that have been around since launch.

Are you hoping those of us that are stuck with broken software just disappear?

Luminar has been my way to edit photos since the first version came out, and. Ow I don’t even have it installed on my machine because it won’t function and support refuses to help.

Terry Rogers

Hi Chris! We are sorry for the inconveniences. Could you please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you get it to work properly?

Gil Delavous

#Terry Rogers

Always the same replies but nothing changes. Like if contacting the support would magically fix this bugged as hell software.

The worst is that nobody who is really in charge of the development takes time to reply or post an article on the blog in order to explain why Luminar is in that situation and how they plan to fix things. All this company is doing is let the support staff post the same "we are sorry please contact us" replies again and again.

As a software developer myself I still can't figure out how that team managed to code some very fine plugins embedded into a rubbish user interface that even a programming student would build better. There are bugs in Luminar that are completely unacceptable for professional developpers.

I'll wait the next couple of updates to see if I was right to be patient or not and if nothing really improves I'll throw this software to the trash and never buy anything from this company anymore.

Jos Vromen

Hi Jos, Shirley,

Please, contact us via https://skylum.com/support so we could investigate these issues.

gives . . . . .

Page not found

We’ll make sure you’re never lost again!

Howard Lebowitz

Jos, "Page not found" is symptomatic of the current state of Luminar. I think the only usable solution is FLEX which is basically and updated version of Luminar 2018 and runs fine. You are then left to find a DAM app if you need one or use whatever host program makes sense.

Many are really hoping that Skylum will get with Serif and make the FLEX plugin work with Affinity Photo. IMHO, Flex and Affinity Photo is a great solution.

NOTE: This assumes you do not want to pay the Adobe tax and sign-up for never ending payments to Adobe.

Jos Vromen

I think you're right : choosing Flex together with Affinity would be great. I like to use Affinity and sometimes a bit of NIK. But together with FLEX would be great! I will say goodbye to NIK and keep FLEX. (for now it's the other way around.)

I really hope Skylum will read this and do something about it. 

BTW the NIK plugins work fine in Luminar, good job!

DAM I don't really need, Apple Photo is good enough for me.

Colin Grant

If you are happy that you are not always editing the raw image that is a real solution. Photos is not a bad DAM, although I hate Moments and that sort of stuff. It is blisteringly fast but its the way it hands off jpegs rather than the raw for editing that I do not like. Would not be so bad if it handed off Tiff (or gave the option) but I guess the reasoning behind the file size (jpeg is much smaller than Tiff) is Photo's main position which is sharing across iCloud. As For Affinity, it is in my view an awful raw editor but a good Ps alternative. Will never have a DAM now regrettably - they seem to have dropped that idea.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jos - Sorry about the broken link! Please try www.skylum.com/support.

Howard Lebowitz

Another DAM / RAW option is free. Adobe Bridge + Adobe Camera RAW

This avoids paying a monthly fee to Adobe and is fast and handles most RAW files.

You can also call Flex or Affinity Photo from Bridge. I am going to try this for a while.

Colin Grant

The raw editing option in Bridge is the Adobe Camera Raw plugin which I am sure you only get if you have Lr/Ps. The free Bridge download does not include it. Flex can be called from all sorts of apps but it does  not put the edited file back to the folder from whence it came unfortunately. Why I do not know but  certainly Bridge is not one of the apps that Skylum say works with Flex.

Howard Lebowitz

Yes, if you never had Adobe LR/PS ACR will not work. But if you have launched a qualifying product ACR will work and is a free download. Since I had LR in the past it does work for me even though LR is no longer on my computer.

In any event. Bridge as opposed to Photos will handle Fujifilm compressed RAF files. If you just want a fast photo browser, Bridge, which is free, might work for you. Since photography, for me, is a hobby I do not need a "professional" DAM or workflow.

I really like Photos but the fact that it only works with uncompressed RAF files is an annoyance. Bridge will do the job. And at least for now, I can use ACR if I want (until Adobe finds a way to take that a way too). 

I am not sure what you mean about not putting the Flex edit back in the folder where it came. Here I opened Flex from Bridge and edited a file and put it back with the raw file:

I am I not understanding what you say cannot happen?

Bob Dobbs

I'm going to stick my nose in here and contribute my own perspective, for what it's worth.

The main reason I invested in Luminar is that while Adobe has years and years of experience developing photo software and have provided a vast number of useful features, they are working hard to drive their user base away.  I cannot move forward with software which (1) strongly prefers the cloud-based storage model and (2) requires a subscription fee to operate.  I have many TB of RAW photos (lots of sports shoots) and meager internet bandwidth, plus I edit photos all the time in locations where there is no net access at all and the software can't call home to validate.  Unless they reverse their recent path (ha!) Lightroom and Photoshop are dead ends for me.

I am giving Skylum the chance to improve their program because it's really the only future I see in photo editing and DAM software.  Lightroom had a 9 year head start on Luminar, so parity is not going to happen overnight.  If you're not OK with the pace, no one is forcing you to stay and endure the pain.

FWIW, here are the things missing which are important to me (I am intentionally omitting "speed" because everyone, including the devs, know about that) :

1) Automatic application of (camera and ISO-based) development presets on photo import.

2) Seamless export of watermarked photos at user-selectable resolutions.

I can work around most of the deficiencies, but for mass processing of photos and sharing with the end users, those are killers.  Even Lightroom was problematic in the early days, but it got the job done and as an editing tool it has matured.  I hope Luminar does the same, so I can drop the hot mess that is Adobe's roadmap.

Colin Grant

In my view you will be waiting a very long time Bob. Luminar has hardly leapt ahead since its launch. And it can never be a dam without metadata management/editing, keywords, smart albums, sort, search....the list goes on. It is barely a toy at present. If you like Luminar then Flex is the only reasonable answer. As for roadmap - I do not see Adobe's as a mess and at least they have one.

Anna Veres

Hi Bob, 

Thank you for your feedback.

We will definitely consider adding these features in the future updates. 

Hope for your patience and understanding. 

Colin Grant

Which says absolutely nothing does it Anna - "We will definitely consider.....". All that tells us is that you have not thought of it before and that you will do so on some unspecified forthcoming date but with no commitment to doing it. Was this "thing" called L3 ever really planned!

Please sign in to leave a comment.