Just Purchased and you want me to pay for upgrade!

Comments

7 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Michael!
    Luminar 4 is a brand new app with a bunch of innovative AI features which bring your editing process to the next level. Researching the market of photo-editing tools, we developed unique technologies to enhance your images like never before. Step by step we will reveal all the bells and whistles Luminar 4 acquires.
    Nevertheless, the upgrade is absolutely optional. It is up to you whether to stick to your current version or to go ahead with Luminar 4.
    We can assure you that we will continue to support Luminar 3 in terms of performance and compatibility. For instance, the next update will be released within a few weeks. Speed improvements alongside some new functionality will be implemented.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jeremy Dinn

I'm glad you guys will support 3. I had to re-read that, because I was about to leave a nasty comment. I'll be buying 4 just because I'm a obsessive consumer who has no control over ones impulses. Either way I pray you guys/girls keep working on this software and actually make it feel streamlined.

Tom Pickering

I'm concerned that, though you say you'll continue to support the existing product, your concentration on the next will overshadow everything like has happened many times before.  Why should we believe another promise when the current products for Windows users still don't have parity with the Mac versions?  I'm not trying to be snarky, just want something more concrete to rely upon because you've broken many promises before.

Greg Luckett

So when I upgraded to Luminar 2018 / Luminar 3 it was stated that there would be no paid upgrades through at least late 2019 and we would receive all updates. So, does this mean Luminar 4 is not included in that and we do indeed have to pay for the upgrade? If so, that is terribly disappointing since the much promised libraries / digital asset management system are barely functional at best - seriously, no keyword support even? As others have stated, how about fixing the half-baked broken functionality we have already paid for before asking us to pay to upgrade again. I for one know I WON'T be paying to upgrade based on the garbage we've already been fed.

K.G. Wuensch

So instead of working on making necessary improvements to Luminar 3 the developers had to start coding on those new features for Luminar 4 - so again adding gimmicks when the basics still aren‘t up to standard! 

Where is the promised DAM, where is keywording, IPTC support, decent search/filtering, feature parity of the Windows version with the slightly better MacOS version? Where is a grid view? Where is a way to disable the automatic noise reduction? Did you solve the magic mouse problems yet? What about CR3 support? Watermarks?  All these things (and probably a lot more)  need to be resolved for Luminar 3 - but the developers probably don‘t have the time for that stuff they need to make the newfangled stuff work for Luminar 4 - and come up with a cloud and an iOS and Android version - and concepts how to integrate all this.

And then they need to make all this work reliable and performant - when they complete and utterly failed to do so for the much more simple Luminar 3 before they got sidetracked.

Mark Armstrong

Anastasia,
    When you say Luminar 4 is a “brand new app”, could you please clarify what you mean by that? Are you stating it doesn’t include any of the features of the current Luminar 3 and is a totally different software application? Or does Luminar 4 provide the capability of Luminar 3 along with several new features and additions? If it’s the latter, how is that a new app vs an upgrade that we should receive based on our existing purchase of L3 which in my case is a whopping 3 weeks old and is now obsoleted by L4

Guy M

Yeah, I won't be upgrading to version 4 from 3. You guys clearly stated in your roadmap on purchase that all these other features users above mentioned are coming. But they won't be. And it was made clear we would get all updates for free until at least the end of 2019. Well, that's not happening either. This is a breach of contract, and you should be refunding anyone that requests it.

I certainly will not be buying another Skylum product for a long time, if ever. Very poor business practices.

Please sign in to leave a comment.