Luminar 4

Comments

169 comments

James Moore

Reading these comments about Luminar 4 leaves me very, very concerned.

Along with many others my copy of Luminar 3 is largely unusable despite my buying a new iMac just to run this app which I used to enjoy using before L3 came along. Now I use DXO Photolab and this excellent application works flawlessly, is fast and 100% reliable. It runs on my old MacBook too without ever an issue.

I was looking forward to L4 as being essentially a working version of L3 but alas that does not appear to be the case. Whilst the sky replacement would have been useful for my real estate work, I most probably will stick with Luminar 2018 if layer editing is needed.

I use Aurora HDR 2019 which is an excellent application yet comes from the same developer as Luminar! How can this be? I implored Skylum not to release L4 without proper testing but yet again we have been let down at best or ignored at worst. I was hoping for a free copy of L4 given my problems with L3 but I don't think I would even risk using it. Time for me to learn Photoshop?

Comment actions Permalink
    Wim van der Meer

Back to the macphun days. The sky replacement tool is truly fun. Lots of it. Portrait enhancer is less funny. It should have tools to replace hair, eyes, nose, mouth... A quick look at Luminar 4 gives me the impression it's not a successor of Luminar 3, but rather a different program with a similar interface. In Luminar 3 I would work with filters and looks. In 4 looks are still around, but the filter structure has been replaced by broad categories of editing. I think Luminar 4 offers some interesting new approaches to photo editing, and I may keep it around for that. But VERY VERY unfortunately some of the major shortcomings of 3 have remained unchanged. It still is pretty useless as a DAM: no keywords, no searching, no gps. Some file types are still not read correctly (although I was promised several times this was on the list of problems to be solved), and I don't trust the reliability of the database. I had a library with some 80000 images, did a lot of edits, the library crashed and all my work was gone. Skylum tried to help out but they couldn't solve the problem. If I keep Luminar 4 it will only be for some specific editing tasks. But in some cases I may prefer 3. 

Peter Hellstrand

Got L4 today and after a quick try I could see that it's not as slow as I could imagine, after reading all the posts in this thread. That might be since I have a 2018 Macbook 15'' though. The new interface is interesting and fun. Replacing the sky and other AI tools are great, but it's not what I consider as main functions for photo processing. I'll keep L4 for fun and for specific projects where I might feel for being artistic, but LR (or DxO PhotoLab in the future) will be my main apps. I will also use Luminar Flex, which is great and Creative Kit as plugins.

It's a pity that Skylum have chosen this path, but again, L4 is usable, but not as a professional photo processing app.  

Andy H

I gave the trial version a go yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed with it. L4 is displaying exactly the same slow performance as L3 did, making it frustrating to use for me. Skylum need to boost performance, especially if they are not leveraging the power of the GPU at the moment, which is an amazing oversight as most similar products do this these days.

I think the new UI is a big step backwards, but that's a personal thing. It's clear Skylum are taking Luminar in a different direction, it's a shame that direction is more towards a Photolemur type product rather than a professional grade photo editor. I won't be buying it at the end of the trial.

James Moore

Surprised to read that L4 is now available, having not had an email from Skylum. Despite my misgivings and problems with L3 I decided to "upgrade" and give L4 a try. Here's a quick heads up and initials impression.

I did 2 downloads - first onto a 2010 MacBookPro. No issues with download and no problem activating the application. So far so good so let's go.......loaded quite quickly and I was prompted to update my library (not huge), I did this and the process completed in a few seconds. Library displayed after just a few seconds so all good again (why am I surprised). Had a quick play with a few images and yes the user interface is a bit different but fairly intuitive.

The sky replacement is important for me (real estate) so that was my first port of call once I had found where it was! And guess what? It works like magic and instantly, very, very clever indeed. You can also load in your own sky images and that works well too.

So far so good so over to my brand new iMac. Again the download process was OK and loading the app, updating my (small library) to V4 was done smoothly in only a few seconds. Editing worked ok but I was disappointed in the export time BUT I had made dozens of fairly random edits. A later test exported quickly so phew! The eraser tool is really very good too and easy to use after an extend "preparation" time but it worked very well indeed. I tried clone and stamp and (like my version of L3) either does not work or takes too long to figure out what it's doing.

All in all a pleasant surprise - worth a try given the money back guarantee or the free trial

James

Ralf Sohnsmeier

Auch ich werde Luminar4 zurückgeben, da es die GPU meiner NVIDIA immer noch nicht verwendet. Beim Laden eines Bildes habe ich eine Prozessorauslastung von 90%, während die GPU nichtmal 1% ausgelastet ist. Das Laden eines Bildes dauert 20-30 Sekunden, bis es scharf dargestellt wird.

Am Rechner (Windows 10) liegts nicht, denn ich schneide meine 4k-Videos mit Resolve 16 Studio in Echtzeit. Zum Laden eines Fotos mit Luminar 4 reicht es nicht. Auch bei Luminar 3 ist nach geraumer Zeit immer noch keine GPU-Unterstützung implementiert. Wird dann bei Luminar 4 wohl nicht werden.

Anfragen beim Support sind ergebnislos.

Ich verwende nun den "Luminar Replacement Filter" , sprich ich werde mir eine funktionierende Software zulegen.

Ralf

Helga Rowles

Hi Ralf, thanks a lot for submitting a support request.

Our support team is extremely busy because of a great number of incoming emails these days. We ask for your patience. Someone from our team will respond as soon as possible.

K.G. Wuensch

@Nancy - it seems you will have to use skies from their provided library.

Jack Larson

I am with Martim.  To Sascha, I would say, hearing the same complaints over and over again may help you to ventilate.  but it doesn't change anything.  You need to figure out what will create change.  The complaints that are being posted are of zip, zero value.  There are better ways to get through to the people who can do something to make the changes you desire.  The constant complaints certainly are not "News" and they are not telling us anything that we want to know about "Updates."  I think that Skylum should create a Community category called "Issues and Complaints"; then maybe the rest of us could be informed about "News and Updates."

Terry Rogers

@Paul: The upgrade to Luminar 4 is optional because Luminar 3 will be further supported with free updates. The next 3.1.3 update of Luminar 3 is planned to be released later this summer.

Geoffrey Hahn

Hello Will.  The ability to undo edits after closing the image file should be available in any program that utilizes a database to track the changes and has a fully non-destructive user interface, as with Skylum products.  Personally, I haven't utilized other image editing applications that have this ability, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist.  It is an extremely useful feature, and one that I personally appreciate in Luminar.  Not only can I revert the image back at any time, I can review the editing history and use it with another image file later on down the road.

As far as what you have read about the company, please note that it is a very small number of people who are actually complaining about Luminar 3, some of which seem to have ulterior motives behind their harsh criticism of the application.  It IS true that Luminar 3 had a rough launch, and there are still some serious issues with at least the Windows version of the program, Skylum has been responsive and has been trying to correct the issues in as timely a manner as a company their size is able.  They have mostly stuck to their original road map, and of the items that were on it when the application was launched, only two items were dropped.  There has been considerable delay in implementing many of the road map features, this is absolutely true.  It is also true that they should have waited to release Luminar 3 until it was ready for prime time, which in my opinion won't be until the next patch is released.  And, while it obviously has not been released yet, I believe Luminar 4, with its extensive beta testing by outside parties, will be the application even the loud naysayers were hoping Luminar 3 would have been.  If you truly love Luminar 3 on the Mac, and if you have been dillegent in testing the application while you had your trial, then I wouuld not hesitate to recommend it to you.  Others, I am certain, will whine and moan regarding this recommendation, but that's ok.  If you truly feel it is the best application for your purposes, go for it.  I believe you will find it, mostly, a pleasure to work with.  And, when Luminar 4 is released later this year, I have a feeling that you will be completely blown away, even if you never ever use the "gimmicky" AI tools that are being introduced.  Good luck in your search for your image editing software package!

Kate Williams

Hi,

The Roadmap page is under maintenance now. We're working on it and it will be available in the nearest future. Stay tuned.

Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

Let me try to clarify:

The announcement of Luminar 4 that will be released late fall doesn't mean that we abandon the development of Luminar 3. 

We are going to add IPTC support and search as free updates both to Luminar 3 and Luminar 4.

Currently, we are working on our roadmap for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4, it will be updated soon and we will reveal all the details there. 

Geoffrey Hahn

I simply don't understand some of the comments in this thread that I'd started regarding upgrade paths for existing customers.  Those who are complaining so loudly seem to be missing some essential information.  The tools that you are complaining about are just that - additional tools.  There is no demand at all that you utilize them if you don't like them or need them.  You still have all the tools that are currently available in Luminar 3, with the addition of these tools.  You fail to see that this so-called AI technology can eventually be implemented into potentially amazing tools. For instance, I really don't give a darn about sky replacement (though it does have a valid use, mostly in the commercial arena), but imagine with a little more work what Skylum can do with the technology.  Wouldn't it be awesome if, with the selection of a tool, a complicated sky mask could be created?  This is now entirely within the realm of possibility.   With Angela's previous comment, we now know that one "feature" of Luminar 3 that some people adore - the ability to drop multiple instances of one tool in a single layer - was not wise, and one could infer from her post that the majority of issues with Luminar 3 might - just might - be caused by this mistake.  Finally, I absolutely have to disagree with the comments that Skylum doesn't listen to its customers.  If you're rude and behave like a snottly little 3 year old, I wouldn't expect much sympathy.  If you post condescending, almost libelous comments, I wouldn't expect any sort of response.  I've found, though, that if you provide thoughtful, detailed information regarding the issue at hand, you will receive a response back, and the response has typically been, in my experience, within 24 hours after sending to the support department.  But, you have to send the message to the support department.  Complaining on a website or a bulletin board isn't going to do squat  Finally, for now, if you've moved away from the product, you really don't have much of a reason to come back on these forums to complain.  When you do, you start sounding like schills for the other software companies.  Life is just too short to complain about software applications.  I'm about to take my own advice, leave the computer, and go take some photos, which I'll process in Skylum products and will get awesome results.  Have a nice day!

Kate Williams

@Jürgen, please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support so that we could figure something out for oyu. 

@Sascha, please refer to our community guidelines: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002269211-Community-Guidelines We'd highly appreciate if you could refrain from using swear words in your future posts. Otherwise, they are moderated. 

@Guy, AI Sky Replacement is definitely not the only feature that will be available in Luminar 4. Please stay tuned for further announcements. We'll keep introducing "Pro" features, as well as Library enhancements in the future releases.  

Jack Larson

Kate - thank you for your post.  Personally, I think that posting the same type of complaints over and over defeats the legitimate purpose of "News and Updates."  People with real issues would benefit much more from going to Support.  Those are the people who can do something about their concerns.  Furthermore, anyone who has been working in the Digital Darkroom for any time at all knows how extremely difficult it is to create a successful DAM.  The editing features of Luminar (whether Luminar 3.1 or Luminar Flex) are terrific.  Personally,  I would never install a new DAM until it had a track record of real success.  (Just like I never update to a new operating system until it reaches .2 or .3.)  Risk taking is confined to being a Beta tester where you expect to have problems.

Geoffrey Hahn

To what is actually a fairly small but EXTREMELY vocal number of people who post here, why don't you capture as much of the information that you can where Skylum has said that there would be free upgrades FOR LUMINAR 3 throughout 2019, get ahold of a decent lawyer, then wait until January 1, 2020 and see if Luminar 3 updates keep coming out through that date and if not, sue the bejeezus out of the company?  Note that you can't complain if features being announced strictly for Luminar 4 are not included, but be sure to see if there are DAM improvements (personally, the damned DAM works perfectly fine for me...) and memory management resolution, and if not, see if they make a promise (again, capture it and give it to the lawyer) to continue developing Luminar 3 after 12/31/2019.  Also, consider that since Skylum, to paraphrase you, is less than honorable, maybe, just maybe, if they realize that what you consider a cluster you-know-what is not reasonably salvageably they may at that point offer a deal for you.  After all, again to paraphrase, they do keep their cards close to their vests, don't they?    Or maybe just demand a refund right now, since you are obviously not satisfied and feel that they are just a ripoff company that conned you, and threaten to sue if they don't.  Then you can get your $89.00, or whatever you paid, back to spend on some other cheap alternative to Adobe.  Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you start your own thread to complain about the issue?

Maryna Skylum

Hi Dieter,

We've been collecting and processing artists' feedback and feature requests for quite some time, and came up with a conclusion that people love easy-to-use tools and automatic enhancements. We decided to make the development of new AI features our top priority. New Luminar 4 will have lots of tools that will allow you to create beautiful photos by moving just one slider. Luminar 4 is going to be more intuitive, logical and concise. Please stay tuned to know more about the upcoming features.

We are not giving up on Luminar 3, we are going to continue supporting this app in terms of performance and compatibility. By the way, the nearest update is coming within a few weeks. We don't abandon our plans to implement new Library enhancements, we concentrate on things that are in high demand by our customers.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Geoffrey,

At this time current Luminar 3 users can pre-order Luminar 4 at a special introductory price. There will always be a discount for current users, but in this introductory period the price is even lower. You can get your special price here: https://skylum.com/luminar-l4pl3

Please sign in to leave a comment.