Luminar 4

Comments

169 comments

Sascha Picchiantano

Ahh... Aperture.... the mother of all DAMs that ate Lightroom for breakfast. I am missing it so much and my journey has been similar to your's, Wim. 

I am hoping that Serif (the company that does Affinity Photo) will release a DAM one day that resembles Aperture. Until then, the hunt for a good, jack of all trades DAM continues. 

And that's certainly not Luminar.

Comment actions Permalink
    Andy H

@Shaun.  

A lot of us are with you there! I was talking to a photographer friend the other day and we both agreed that our experiences with Luminar 3 were probably the worst of any software we've been using in over a decade of digital photo editing. For me, Skylum are in the second extension of the last chance saloon - I'll give the trial version a go, but Luminar 4 has to be perfect right off the bat for me to even think about buying it.

Even if it was, I'm still not sure I want to invest any more money in a company that clearly feels it acceptable to not provide a fit-for-purpose product for paying customers before they move on to the next iteration and ask us for even more money. I also get irritated by their army of affiliates who come out of the woodwork around this time of the year and bombard us with "Luminar 4 is going to be the best ever" spiel.  Problem is folks - you said that last year about Luminar 3 and history will judge your credibility on that one!

Roger Bolt

In my darker moments I wondered if the first 20,000 weren't guinea pigs at some level to work out the bugs. But I've been wrong before

Nathan Vear

Ditto. Same question.

Jeremy Dinn

I would also like to know the update path. Also, how long will the upgrade price be available?

Personally I feel Luminar 3 needed more work before this one came out. I will purchase the 4th rendition of this either way because screw Lightroom. After the upgrade price I will have spent 118 dollars. Lightroom would have cost more than that either way. Will Luminar 4 actually have better performance than 3 or just more features? Thanks

Dieter Neitsch

Hello, the pre-order is not in function.
    email is verified, but it does not go on.
    Button Pre-Order.

Jürgen Meier

Its not week probably .-) It may depend on what you wrote. - and how(!) You wrote.

Anna V

Hi Sascha, 

I am sorry to hear that.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support and we will do our best to figure something out for you. 

Paul Moss

"Luminar has become a problem of late with most users struggling to come to terms with the poor performance of Luminar 3. Personally I found it unusable until the latest release and have until then had to revert to Luminar 2018."

did 2018 batch process quicker than 3?

James Moore

I never used batch mode in Luminar. However until the latest L3 release it was really unusable so I had to revert to 2018 which I did find useable. L3 took an age to export, images reverted to previous state, progress bar did not work, clone and stamp did not work or was so slow I assumed the app had frozen. To be fair the latest version works well on my new iMac whereas the previous L3 clearly did not. In essence until last week I never had a useable copy of L3. I actually use L3 now. I mention Aurora HDR 2019 because it works brilliantly and I run all my brackets in batch mode whilst I have a beer or dinner or both. Until recently my final edits have been in DXO PL with Perspective but now I just run this for straightening verticals (I do RE photography) and fine tune in L3. Skylum CAN make some good software so I hope they can get Luminar sorted soon.

Paul Moss

thanks for the info James, I hope they do get it up to speed. I held back from buying it because of the processing drag but succumbed to temptation when I got back from holiday - I love the effects I can achieve with it but it's still unusable for my time lapses

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! Thanks for your honest comments. I will forward your thoughts to a person in charge. Since our customers is our highest priority, we will do our best.

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Peut être que je mettrai de l'argent dans luminar 4, mais avant je voudrais l'essayer pendant un mois pour voir toute ces différence avec luminar 3 et Windows 10.

Cordialement

Andy H

I'm also waiting until a trial version is available as my trust in Skylum is at an all time low.  In the past I've happily paid upfront when a new product was announced. Now, after my experience with Luminar 3, I'm much more skeptical in Skylum's ability to deliver what they promise and I also see straight through their marketing and affiliate spin. 

Kate Williams

Hi, 

Sure, this is very understandable. The trial will be available once the app is launched.
    Besides, please be advised that we'll be offering a money-back guarantee starting from the release date, so you'll be able to test Luminar 4 and, if it does not meet your expectations, request a refund. 

Z. Kent Yousif

Hi, I just bought Luminar 3 a few months ago (June 2019), and I like the software. I already shoved out some cash on it and I like it but it's extremely slow. I would get the upgraded Luminar 4 if it improves greatly on speed, so it would be great if you could lock the price for existing users for 30 days after the release to let people try it. This will allow you to avoid having to deal with refunds if people are unhappy, and let everyone try it. If you're going to deliver a better performing program, then the sales will go through... just a few days later.

John Wigmore

My Luminar 3 takes just 9 seconds to load and it is then fully functional.  My computer is a gaming laptop with an Intel i7 processor and 16mg RAM.

I have no problems with the speed.  John W.

Strange that I also have an i7 and 16gb ram but have no end of issues with Luminar 3, in fact the more I use it the flakier I find it to be

I can't edit the above comment but I neglected to mention that I also use a gaming laptop

Angela Andrieux

Hi Martim,

In Luminar 4 the ordering of the filters will be done automatically, behind the scenes. After careful testing we've found that this makes a big difference in the performance and stability of the application. However, if you need precise control over filter ordering you will be able to apply filters to adjustment layers and re-order those to get your desired results.

Anders Svensson

@Martim Durão

Not quite true. Capture One Pro and DxO Photolab are both non-destructive, but they have no History functionality. You can undo single steps and tweak/modify edits as much as you want, but you can't view the editing history the way you can in some editors.

Greg Luckett

I'll second what Martim said. Definitely give it a try.

Sascha Picchiantano

I tried ON1 extensively over the years, including the new 2020. It's just not my cup of tea. I can't really say why. I guess it's the UI that I just don't like. Nitpicking, of course. It's a good piece of software, just not for me. 

Will Roberts II

@Andy H
    Exposure X5 has done everything I could want and need it to do except for one thing and that’s image layering. It’s rare that I will need to do it but if/when I have to I will need to use another program. Enter On1 PhotoRaw or Luminar 4.

I wanted an all-in-one at a reasonable price (sub-$300 to me) but I guess one can’t have it all.

Al Martire

Win and Sascha,

I echo your sentiments about Aperture. I too am an Aperture refugee and have been in the DAM wilderness since late 2016 when I began the search for a replacement.
    Lightroom, ON1 Photo Raw, Luminar, the list goes on. But not one did it like Aperture.

Recently I found an ideal solution which you guys might be interested in. Photo Supreme. Version 5 was just released. I trialed the software in June and made a purchase in July.
    It is a true DAM and exceeds Aperture in some respects. On the surface it appears simple but is actually quite powerful. It is available in both a single-user and server edition and the price is reasonable at $129 for the single-user edition.
    It’s not a true RAW processor, but it does have a decent set of RAW processing tools built-in. So you do need to team it with a RAW converter for a more complete workflow. I've used it with Flex, DPP4, ON1 and RAW Power for RAW processing.  The beauty of it is, you can use anything you want for processing and it does not mess with your DAM functions. 
    But as a DAM it really shines and I have been very happy with it so far. The developer is pretty much a one man operation. But he is very responsive (light years beyond Luminar) and runs an active user forum.  For example I recently had an issue/bug with xmp sidecar files.  I posted on the forum searching for other users input.  Before I got a chance to even post a bug report, the developer had seen my post and issued an update within 8 hours of my posting on the forum!  That was awesome!  Good luck with that kind of response from any other developer.  I have not seen it.

Will Roberts II

@Al Martire

Question for you. How does your workflow happen when using an external DAM with an editor like Luminar or something other in regards to sorting, labeling metadata, etc? Do you leave the editor then go into the DAM and make changes or look through images in the DAM first and make changes/additions then switch to the editor?

New to the editing process so just trying to get a better idea of how it works vs having the DAM within the editor.

Al Martire

@ Will Roberts.

You can set any editor (multiple actually) to launch from within the application.  Metadata is stored either in XMP sidecars for RAW files (there is a setting to write directly to the RAW if you choose) or directly in the original file in the case of JPEG.

So your editor needs to be able to read/write from/to XMP.  Luminar is out, because, as far as I know, it doesn't work with xmp.  All your metadata is locked in the Luminar catalog file.

Typically after import to the catalog in Photo Supreme (PSu), I rate, assign keywords, enter GPS and other metadata in PSu.  Then if I want to edit with an outside editor I will open the file with my editor of choice and save a JPEG version. If this is done in the same directory or sub-directory as the original RAW file, there is a function within PSu that can scan the directory for versions and import them into your catalog as a Version and "attaching" or associating it with the raw file.

There are various other options, but that is my simplest workflow.

Will Roberts II

@Al Martire

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I’m still trying to get the hang of the various ways of going about the process. For now I’ve settled on Exposure X5 and then I’ll lean on another editor for image layering.

Question for you and anyone else: Is retained edit history not important? It’s a desire of mine to be able to look back at various edits I’ve made and have the option to apply them during editing sessions in the future.

It’s a feature that that not a lot of programs have and I’m wondering if it’s because experienced editors begin to know what edits were done/are needed from looking at an old picture or if it’s because it’s a feature that isn’t that important to the masses.

Wim van der Meer

@Will Roberts II

I have worked a lot with Photoshop and it has a history of edits you make. So does Luminar. Can be useful, but I personally do not use it very often. In Luminar the history of edits is kept in the Luminar database and the images themselves are not modified.. That is risky as I found out: the database crashed and the Skylum people didn't manage to recover it. It was huge, and all edits were lost. Other programs store the edits in an xmp (or similar) file in the same folder as the original. That's safer I think. 

Will Roberts II

@Wim van der Meer

It's true that some programs such as Photoshop and Luminar save edits but Luminar only saves them for the current session right? Last time I used the trial it was only for the current session. I'd like to be able to revisit edit history after a session has been completed and the application closed and re-opened.

I haven't used Photoshop in forever. Does it retain edit history after closing and re-opening the program?

Please sign in to leave a comment.