Luminar 4

Comments

184 comments

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Everyone, 

Let me try to clarify:

The announcement of Luminar 4 that will be released late fall doesn't mean that we abandon the development of Luminar 3. 

We are going to add IPTC support and search as free updates both to Luminar 3 and Luminar 4.

Currently, we are working on our roadmap for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4, it will be updated soon and we will reveal all the details there. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Martim Durão

Change your goggles people, look at it in a different perspective, try to understand first and stop trolling. You’re gaining nothing from this and will not gain. LMNR3 is at a very good development place, much better than LMNR2018, 2017, and better than the 1st version of 3, and it will continue to improve. Do you prefers other softwares? GREAT, go ahead, be happy, present you case to the support team and say why you’re entitled to a refund and then stop Trolling. For me I understand that after almost 2years I’ll need to pay for a upgrade. For the past 2years I have indicated several ideas for improvement and mostly realize that we need patience, that we need to understand that they can’t and shouldn’t try to satisfy everyone. Marketing wise, they are learning. LR, ON1, DXO, Capture1, non of them have roadmaps. LR, ON1, DXO, Capture one etc are not for me, I hate modular workflow, sticking with Luminar and gladly pay the upgrade. One question, apart from the money you have paid, what else have you done to contribute for the development of Skylum and liminar?

Sascha Picchiantano

Anna, you are just not receiving the message, are you? You can name the next update "Luminar Version 12 Deluxe with Peanut Butter on Steroids", it does NOT change the fact that those who bought into L3 early were promised free upgrades throughout 2019. Your promise was not limited to a specific version number or name. You can stop playing your semantics games, we are smarter than that. You are insulting the intelligence of your customers. 

It does not matter at all if you name it L4. It's an upgrade posed for 2019 and as such we should receive it for free. 

It's really unbelievable how you guys keep ignoring that. Where is your CEO? Can we get a statement from him please?

Guy Meacham

@Martim Durão,

Hey Martim not looking to get into an argument but a few points. Lots of voices complaining when something like this happens does change things. If you look at replies from skylum we are already seeing changes (not enough) in the plan. A few days ago they were only promising "future performance & compatibility" updates to L3. Yesterday they started promising future DAM updates to L3 too. That was obviously not part of their original plan or they would have said so.

As to the roadmap its never provided any useful information. Beside being overly vague Flex & the L4 announcements came out of the blue and were never on the roadmap. Features that they promised they were working hard on never even made it to the roadmap. so was the roadmap correct and they were just lying or was the roadmap just always out of date?

If L3 was working as promised then it would be perfectly acceptable to offer L4 as a paid upgrade but that is not that case. L3 is barely working and well short of what was promised so why would people buy L4 and  and expect anything to be different. I don't expect to get L4 and it's new bells and whistles for free I do expect to get what I was promised and paid for in L3.

By contrast when ON1 offers it's yearly upgrade there are already videos produced to show specifically what those improvements and new features will be and we see them being used in the software in the video.  

Just my 2 cents. 

Sascha Picchiantano

Martim, no one would be complaining if this was a regular upgrade. While for some it is, for a lot of people it isn't. You have to take the history of what happened in the past into account. A lot of people here bought Luminar 2018 in 2017 because they were promised a DAM. Luminar 2018 was released and guess what, it did not contain a DAM. Skylum said it would come with the next release (L3), and that L3 was a paid upgrade. There was a lot of outrage back then, similar to what happens right now. So Skylum finally caved in and made L3 a free upgrade for those who pre-ordered L2018. Then L3 was released, and guess what, it did not contain a DAM. It was delayed and postponed over and over again. And again, there was a lot of outrage and complaining about it. So Skylum made a promise that because we all had to wait so long, all upgrades in 2019 would be free. Then the DAM was finally released, and it wasn't even close to a DAM. Again, we were promised improvements and bug fixes that never came. And now they announce L4 and tell us all to pay again?

Seriously?

Maybe you now understand why there is this much outrage right now. For the third time. 

Skylum, you guys should be extremely and massively ashamed of yourselves. I don't know how you guys can look in the mirror still. 

Geoffrey Hahn

To what is actually a fairly small but EXTREMELY vocal number of people who post here, why don't you capture as much of the information that you can where Skylum has said that there would be free upgrades FOR LUMINAR 3 throughout 2019, get ahold of a decent lawyer, then wait until January 1, 2020 and see if Luminar 3 updates keep coming out through that date and if not, sue the bejeezus out of the company?  Note that you can't complain if features being announced strictly for Luminar 4 are not included, but be sure to see if there are DAM improvements (personally, the damned DAM works perfectly fine for me...) and memory management resolution, and if not, see if they make a promise (again, capture it and give it to the lawyer) to continue developing Luminar 3 after 12/31/2019.  Also, consider that since Skylum, to paraphrase you, is less than honorable, maybe, just maybe, if they realize that what you consider a cluster you-know-what is not reasonably salvageably they may at that point offer a deal for you.  After all, again to paraphrase, they do keep their cards close to their vests, don't they?    Or maybe just demand a refund right now, since you are obviously not satisfied and feel that they are just a ripoff company that conned you, and threaten to sue if they don't.  Then you can get your $89.00, or whatever you paid, back to spend on some other cheap alternative to Adobe.  Oh, and while you're at it, why don't you start your own thread to complain about the issue?

Sascha Picchiantano

Geoffrey, what do you even care? If you're happy, move along. I always find it pretty lacking in IQ when people complain about people who complain. Who are you to tell people what to demand and ask for? Do I tell you that you can't be happy with your purchase?

Also, nobody owns this thread. We don't need to create "our own" thread. We are vocal in whichever thread we choose to be vocal in. If that upsets you, don't read it. That being said, there are threads that were opened separately for this topic. And not just one. 

Andy H

Let's just respect each others views here.  For some Luminar 3 works great, fantastic, I'm happy for you. For a considerable number of us though, Luminar 3 does not, so that viewpoint needs to be respected as well. I've spent hundreds of dollars on MacPhun/Skylum products over the past 6 years and I feel that I've earned the right to hold Skylum accountable for their failure to deliver an adequate product for me and many others.

Whether Luminar works for you or not, one thing is undeniable.  Skylum have failed to deliver on their development roadmap within the timescales they indicated.  Their answer to this is not to double down and deliver, it's change the goal posts and revise the roadmap - or as they like to call it "roadmap maintenance". This has significantly reduced our trust in Skylum as a brand and they need to do something to restore that.

Martim Durão

Hi @guy @sasha and @andy. I understand that you are not happy and that you have the right to complain. I’ve been there. It’s true that Skylum have been having problems delivering their ambitious promises, and most of all made several marketing mistakes. It’s also true that their support gives very little support. The point is that the way (tone and words) many people are complaining will get to nothing. What I found and looking back is that Skylum is new in this and is showing sines that are learning. Also that they are a small company, trying to grow and are revolutionizing many aspects in photo editing. It’s a journey that probably you are not willing to take, therefore you are entitled to a refund and have tons of solutions out there. Nevertheless it’s also true that Luminar e evolving in a positive direction, maybe slow to you, but Luminar 3.1 is several steps ahead the 3.0 version and Luminar 2018. Skylum is a company that need patience, something you might not have, and the future will tell if it will or not be their downfall. In my case, it works smoothly on my IMac, no issues what so ever... can it improve, of course, speed wise and features also. I’m willing to give them time and money also.

James Moore

I think we need to end the vitriol and Skylum need to make a gesture here to do just that. Myself and the loyal user community have enjoyed many aspects of Luminar and have paid appropriate sums for the pleasure. We by and large believe in the product (Aurora HDR 2019 is terrific) and others from Skylum. Luminar has become a problem of late with most users struggling to come to terms with the poor performance of Luminar 3. Personally I found it unusable until the latest release and have until then had to revert to Luminar 2018. Having been promised all upgrades until the end of the year I believe it only fair and right for Skylum to reward us paying clients with a brilliant, fully functional, bug-free, fully tested Luminar 4. Forget upgrading L3 and concentrate on getting the latest version out to all of us so we can move on and enjoy this product. 

Paul Moss

"Luminar has become a problem of late with most users struggling to come to terms with the poor performance of Luminar 3. Personally I found it unusable until the latest release and have until then had to revert to Luminar 2018."

did 2018 batch process quicker than 3?

James Moore

I never used batch mode in Luminar. However until the latest L3 release it was really unusable so I had to revert to 2018 which I did find useable. L3 took an age to export, images reverted to previous state, progress bar did not work, clone and stamp did not work or was so slow I assumed the app had frozen. To be fair the latest version works well on my new iMac whereas the previous L3 clearly did not. In essence until last week I never had a useable copy of L3. I actually use L3 now. I mention Aurora HDR 2019 because it works brilliantly and I run all my brackets in batch mode whilst I have a beer or dinner or both. Until recently my final edits have been in DXO PL with Perspective but now I just run this for straightening verticals (I do RE photography) and fine tune in L3. Skylum CAN make some good software so I hope they can get Luminar sorted soon.

Paul Moss

thanks for the info James, I hope they do get it up to speed. I held back from buying it because of the processing drag but succumbed to temptation when I got back from holiday - I love the effects I can achieve with it but it's still unusable for my time lapses

Andy H

@Martim. Respectfully, Skylum are not new at this. Their origins trace back to 2008 when Macphun was founded. Macphun had an excellent track record of developing innovative and very usable software for many years. In fact, some of the developers that created the Nik Collection - which in my opinion is still a great product - went onto work at Macphun. Macphun changed their name to Skylum in late 2017/early 2018.

With all that pedigree, there is no reason why they shouldn't have the ability to deliver a great product with Luminar.  Aurora HDR is a solid product as were many of their older programs such as Intensify and Tonality, so something is clearly going wrong somewhere with the Luminar development team.

I still maintain Skylum have put all their development focus into AI and lost track of ensuring the core functionality and performance of Luminar is solid and reliable for a larger amount of the customer base. I've been a Macphun/Skylum customer for over 6 years, and I'd really like to see them turn things around - but it's becoming more and more difficult to think that way.

This is why some folks on this thread are frustrated and can be pretty blunt with their comments. They are long time customers and they understand this should not be happening at a company that has effectively been in this business for over 10 years.

Simon Notley

I was one of the early responders to this thread and could be construed as a 'complainer'. However, my software is actually working pretty well, could be better but I'm happy with the purchase. What I'm not happy with is the launch of a paid new major version when we were promised all 2019 upgrades for free, it just seems like a really cheap attempt at backtracking on a promise. The Skylum posts here seem to suggest they will update L3 and L4 in parallel for a while but that makes little sense as that would give L3 users no reason to upgrade (unless they really want the AI skies) and split the user base in two, increasing support and dev workload. If they just stop L3 and say 'L4 is now current' prior to end of 2019 then that seems like a broken promise to me. I really don't get the logic here. Some people are saying it's a scam but if so it's not a very good one as new users would have bought L3 anyway and L3 users have little reason to upgrade (and in fact many feel they shouldn't as a matter of principle). Just a massive screw-up from Skylum as far as I can see. If it was a bigger company I'd say it was a classic case of marketing or management pushing for a new release against the better judgement of the tech team, but surely Skylum is too small for that kind of thing?

Tom Gilmore

I use Luminar 3 on my imac and it works perfectly so far. So good with the library that I plan to abandon LR this month after they gave me two months at the old price to entice me to stay at double the monthly cost! I do believe PC users seem to have more issues with crashing and time to upload photos. I seem to be fine on the imac without that much lag time. I do not think we should be paying for 4 version as I can't see any new features.

Wim van der Meer

I want to know what are the 60 other new features. Sky replacement is not interesting for me. I want GPS, full exif support, searching, and much better and faster handling of certain types of RAW. Luminar staff have promised they would fix the handling of Olympus Hires Raw but nothing has happened yet.

Anders Svensson

Skylum has promised many things that they haven't delivered on, but their promises really aren't worth anything. Restored lmnr projects was promised "in a future update" eight months ago and hasn't yet happened. I've reported bugs that would be fixed "in a future update" over a year ago and still aren't fixed. Which update is never specified, it's always "no ETA yet", never any commitment. This is just their way of stringing people along.

I'll be very surprised if Luminar 4 isn't as underwhelming as Luminar 3. I liked Luminar 2018 until I noticed that updates changed the rendering of my existing lmnr projects, but Skylum seems to be more interested in playing marketing games to generate sales than in developing a solid application that sells based on reputation. Or else they're just not capable of the latter.

Martin Percival

I'm not going to echo all the previous comments (although heaven only knows, I'm tempted!).

I'm just going to throw in one last nail in the coffin for UK users. I know we've done many things recently to break our own economy, but even then, the last time I looked, the pound was still at roughly 1.3 dollars.

I also know that companies the world over have been reaming us with a 1:1 ratio for a long time, but finding that Skylum want $59 in the US but would like £64 from me just feels like one factor too many.

Sorry Skylum...I'm just happy I carried on with Lightroom while hoping forlornly for a better way! 

Peter Hellstrand

Dear Skylum. I understand and partly agree with most of the complains in this thread. However, I do prefer to stay with Luminar, as I like the concept and that I'm convinced that you'll eventually will present a full working alternative to LR. I also understand that many users don't like to pay for a new upgrade as long as the existing version is not what they expected it to be.

I would like to propose a compromise and that is that you lock the price for upgrade to what you offer as a pre-order upgrade price, hence we as users should be able to try the new version for say 30 days prior to paying the upgrade.

Jeremy Dinn

I second Peter's comment. At least lock the price for the upgrade if the product isn't truly amazing as far as performance goes. That's fair for the people who have been around a while. I also would like to stay with this product because I think it will have a buttery smooth version soon enough. However, I just can't help but think it's bs that Luminar 4 is already out and 3 is kind of slow. Don't get me wrong it works, but not near as fast as it should. I have purposely not purchased 4 because of this, and may even wait years to purchase another product from your company because of the (slightly) shady business practices that have been utilized here. I think this in time will be the best product on the market. Being the best in concept is not the same as having the best product either way. You guys can post all of these awards and accolades, but when people are complaining this much about so many different things, then it just shows there is more than likely a pay off to the reviewers and websites saying it's amazing. Just like how Luminar 4 when searched shows the same date for over 20 websites reviewing it?? Like that's not super fishy. Just know not everyone is stupid like you guys think, but it's also an extreme love hate with this product.

Thanks for reading. 

Wim van der Meer

I will certainly want to try Luminary's 4 before buying it, or, as Peter Hellstrand suggests, have a money back option. I want to see if it has the improvements I have been waiting for. I want to know if it is worth the money. Sky replacement isn't enough, in fact I probably will not use it much if at all. So what other improvements do we get?

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! Thanks for your honest comments. I will forward your thoughts to a person in charge. Since our customers is our highest priority, we will do our best.

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Peut être que je mettrai de l'argent dans luminar 4, mais avant je voudrais l'essayer pendant un mois pour voir toute ces différence avec luminar 3 et Windows 10.

Cordialement

Andy H

I'm also waiting until a trial version is available as my trust in Skylum is at an all time low.  In the past I've happily paid upfront when a new product was announced. Now, after my experience with Luminar 3, I'm much more skeptical in Skylum's ability to deliver what they promise and I also see straight through their marketing and affiliate spin. 

Kate Williams

Hi, 

Sure, this is very understandable. The trial will be available once the app is launched.
    Besides, please be advised that we'll be offering a money-back guarantee starting from the release date, so you'll be able to test Luminar 4 and, if it does not meet your expectations, request a refund. 

Z. Kent Yousif

Hi, I just bought Luminar 3 a few months ago (June 2019), and I like the software. I already shoved out some cash on it and I like it but it's extremely slow. I would get the upgraded Luminar 4 if it improves greatly on speed, so it would be great if you could lock the price for existing users for 30 days after the release to let people try it. This will allow you to avoid having to deal with refunds if people are unhappy, and let everyone try it. If you're going to deliver a better performing program, then the sales will go through... just a few days later.

John Wigmore

My Luminar 3 takes just 9 seconds to load and it is then fully functional.  My computer is a gaming laptop with an Intel i7 processor and 16mg RAM.

I have no problems with the speed.  John W.

Strange that I also have an i7 and 16gb ram but have no end of issues with Luminar 3, in fact the more I use it the flakier I find it to be

I can't edit the above comment but I neglected to mention that I also use a gaming laptop

Please sign in to leave a comment.