Luminar 4

Comments

169 comments

Andy H

@Martim. Respectfully, Skylum are not new at this. Their origins trace back to 2008 when Macphun was founded. Macphun had an excellent track record of developing innovative and very usable software for many years. In fact, some of the developers that created the Nik Collection - which in my opinion is still a great product - went onto work at Macphun. Macphun changed their name to Skylum in late 2017/early 2018.

With all that pedigree, there is no reason why they shouldn't have the ability to deliver a great product with Luminar.  Aurora HDR is a solid product as were many of their older programs such as Intensify and Tonality, so something is clearly going wrong somewhere with the Luminar development team.

I still maintain Skylum have put all their development focus into AI and lost track of ensuring the core functionality and performance of Luminar is solid and reliable for a larger amount of the customer base. I've been a Macphun/Skylum customer for over 6 years, and I'd really like to see them turn things around - but it's becoming more and more difficult to think that way.

This is why some folks on this thread are frustrated and can be pretty blunt with their comments. They are long time customers and they understand this should not be happening at a company that has effectively been in this business for over 10 years.

Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Hellstrand

Dear Skylum. I understand and partly agree with most of the complains in this thread. However, I do prefer to stay with Luminar, as I like the concept and that I'm convinced that you'll eventually will present a full working alternative to LR. I also understand that many users don't like to pay for a new upgrade as long as the existing version is not what they expected it to be.

I would like to propose a compromise and that is that you lock the price for upgrade to what you offer as a pre-order upgrade price, hence we as users should be able to try the new version for say 30 days prior to paying the upgrade.

Andy H

To be honest Martim, I've given up figuring out what Skylum are doing. Not sure they really do either, other than they seem to think we all want to AI everything.  All I know is Luminar is heading in a direction that does not complement the way I like to craft my photos. I'm sure some folks will like it and use it, but it's not for me anymore.

Wim van der Meer

@Geoffrey Hahn

if you provide thoughtful, detailed information regarding the issue at hand, you will receive a response back, and the response has typically been, in my experience, within 24 hours after sending to the support department.

Well, yes, I have informed them about the fact that Luminar 3 doesn't process Olympus Hires Raw correctly. They indeed answered very politely that it was going to be corrected. But it still isn't solved, almost half a year since I first signalled, and many reminders from my side. Also, I had a large database that got corrupted, and they could never solve that problem.

So, unfortunately I must conclude they are not really listening.

Greg Luckett

@Andy H

I've done exactly what you've done. I'm done with Luminar and bought ON1 Photo RAW 2019.5. It's already better than Luminar 3 and the Photo RAW 2020 beta is even better. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your decision. As an added bonus, since I bought 2019.5 fairly recently (got it for very cheap as a promotion they were running - exact same cost as the Luminar 4 early upgrade price), they are going to give me a free upgrade to 2020.

Andy H

@Greg.  I'm with you.  The Photo RAW 2020 beta is very solid, very impressive, and more reliable than the almost year old commercial release of Luminar 3 for me. I often compare Photo RAW to Luminar because they were both released about the same time in 2016 and both marketed as a Lightroom alternatives. Fast forward to now, and it's not even close.

Michael Anderson

Light at the end of this week.....Topaz Labs Studio 2 launches on the 25th.   

Olaf Wieder

@Tom Pickering

all thumbs up

Paul Moss

I'm fuming - I bought Luminar 3 this month and now I'm offered an upgrade at near the same price I have just paid! I bought it in the belief that Skylum would be updating 3 this year and would finally resolve the poor speed of batch processing, not just moving on to another paid version.

Utterly appalled, I wish I'd stayed with Lightroom!

Tom Pickering

Sascha -

Actually, throughout the short history of Luminar, the compaints posted (1st of Facebook, then here) have basically fallen on deaf ears.  If Skylum responds, it's to "promise" a particular fix or missing feature in the next update that's coming soon.  When the next update arrives, more likely than not we don't see what we're complaining about fixed or added.  So, wherever Jack and Martin, etc. is living, the management of Skylum is ignoring our complaints.  If that weren't the case, they wouldn't be pre-selling Luminar 4 when so much is yet to be done with Luminar 3.  It's horrible when you finally realize it, but your complaints will only serve to vent your upset - IT WILL NOT CHANGE A THING WITH SKYLUM'S PLANS!

Andy H

Wow! Reading this and other threads on this forum plus other social media, I don't think I've ever seen such a negative reaction to the announcement of a new product. Time to wake up and smell the coffee Skylum! Perhaps you should listen to your customers more, after all they pay your wages.

Jörg Westphal

luminar 4 its at time the false way. first think i that Luminar 3 correct work with promised functions and bug free and near loading speed from pictures like Ligthroom. What you make with Luminar is a occour at the consumer back. What you say with this way is Pay for more Bugfix . I am disappointed with you with this plan Skylum. i have hope to go a way from Adobe with his Abo madness but you go now the same way with only a year plan. have not a problem when a new function that not promised with like a little dlc for a small a mount off bugs when i this funktion i will must have.

Al Martire

Funny that the Roadmap link is no longer functional...

Michael Anderson

And note there has never been one for Flex.     Conspicuous in it's absence.

Jürgen Meier

I purchased LUMINAR three months ago. Now I´m very sad about the update price - 49 bucks. Hefty! SKYLUM, think about Your pricing. You will(!) dissappoint Your users with this kind of money-making.

John from Germany

Sascha Picchiantano

And Skylum keep deleting my criticism. My last 3 messages were deleted, this one is probably going to the dumpster as well. How weak is that. 

Guy Meacham
    @Kate Williams : "The Roadmap page is under maintenance now. We're working on it and it will be available in the nearest future. Stay tuned".

Hey Kate, taking it down, rewriting it to match this weeks long term plan doesn't mean we all forget about the old one and what was promised for L3, some of those promises are 2 years old. Now you say replacing a sky with a stock image is more important to people than a working DAM. Maybe it is to some people but not your current customer base. 

It seems you guys have made the internal decision to go after a different market, the one click Photolemur market who you merged with last year.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over this I'll chalk my initial purchase back in November 2017 up to experience and move on. It's a shame Skylum has either chosen or been forced to treat it's existing customers like this though!
    Al Martire

I'm sorry, but this smells like a classic 'bait-n-switch' to me.

I personally am not opposed to paying for an upgrade to L4 if that's how Skylum insists on going forward (although I believe the proper thing to do is to provide it free of charge for those who purchased L3/2018/2017). 

But, $49 is not an appropriate price point considering the history thus far.  $29 would be the limit I would consider more palatable for those of us who purchased L3/2018/2017 under the premise that it would be updated to include all the promised features "free of charge until at least the end of 2019"...

The practice that in my opinion absolutely needs to stop is the whole pre-purchase your upgrade now, and under-deliver later.

Because I believe Luminar as a product has promise, I am willing to continue to "stick around" with a wait and see attitude. But will absolutely not pay for anything until after it has been released and tested. 

Sascha Picchiantano

I have not used swear words (unless you are US American, you would not consider my choice of words swearing at all). So don't try to paint me in a bad light here. You are actively censoring and silencing those who won't take this 5&3$§ from you without speaking up. 

It is unbelievable how you guys just ignore the outrage of your customers. Have you already forgotten the masses of bad reactions when you delayed L3 over and over again? You promised those who paid upfront for a release that came 18 months after its initial announcement they would get all future updates throughout 2019 for free. Yet here we are, Skylum is screwing everyone over AGAIN.

This is - plain and simple - a scam. 

Try harder, Kate. 

Michael Anderson

@ Sascha,

Well said.   Fulfilling a previous commitment does not take "figuring out".   It takes implementation by Skylum.  Ball is in their court. 

Andy H

So if you look at the Skylum release dated September 22, 2018 (https://skylum.com/blog/new-luminar-with-libraries-no-paid-upgrades-and-more), it says this:

While software companies typically roll out paid updates every year, there will be no paid updates for Luminar until late 2019 at the earliest.

Then later in the article it says this:

However, this week, we made a decision to forgo any paid upgrades at least until the end of 2019......

So in fairness, although these statements are a little contradictory, Skylum did indicate the potential for us to pay something in 2019.

However, the timing of when Skylum charge for Luminar 4 is irrelevant to me, I just won't be paying for it period as I have no desire to own it after my experiences with Version 3 and I have no confidence that Skylum will deliver us an effective product.

Sascha Picchiantano

Anna, you are just not receiving the message, are you? You can name the next update "Luminar Version 12 Deluxe with Peanut Butter on Steroids", it does NOT change the fact that those who bought into L3 early were promised free upgrades throughout 2019. Your promise was not limited to a specific version number or name. You can stop playing your semantics games, we are smarter than that. You are insulting the intelligence of your customers. 

It does not matter at all if you name it L4. It's an upgrade posed for 2019 and as such we should receive it for free. 

It's really unbelievable how you guys keep ignoring that. Where is your CEO? Can we get a statement from him please?

Wim van der Meer

I want to know what are the 60 other new features. Sky replacement is not interesting for me. I want GPS, full exif support, searching, and much better and faster handling of certain types of RAW. Luminar staff have promised they would fix the handling of Olympus Hires Raw but nothing has happened yet.

Anders Svensson

Skylum has promised many things that they haven't delivered on, but their promises really aren't worth anything. Restored lmnr projects was promised "in a future update" eight months ago and hasn't yet happened. I've reported bugs that would be fixed "in a future update" over a year ago and still aren't fixed. Which update is never specified, it's always "no ETA yet", never any commitment. This is just their way of stringing people along.

I'll be very surprised if Luminar 4 isn't as underwhelming as Luminar 3. I liked Luminar 2018 until I noticed that updates changed the rendering of my existing lmnr projects, but Skylum seems to be more interested in playing marketing games to generate sales than in developing a solid application that sells based on reputation. Or else they're just not capable of the latter.

Martin Percival

I'm not going to echo all the previous comments (although heaven only knows, I'm tempted!).

I'm just going to throw in one last nail in the coffin for UK users. I know we've done many things recently to break our own economy, but even then, the last time I looked, the pound was still at roughly 1.3 dollars.

I also know that companies the world over have been reaming us with a 1:1 ratio for a long time, but finding that Skylum want $59 in the US but would like £64 from me just feels like one factor too many.

Sorry Skylum...I'm just happy I carried on with Lightroom while hoping forlornly for a better way! 

Jeremy Dinn

I second Peter's comment. At least lock the price for the upgrade if the product isn't truly amazing as far as performance goes. That's fair for the people who have been around a while. I also would like to stay with this product because I think it will have a buttery smooth version soon enough. However, I just can't help but think it's bs that Luminar 4 is already out and 3 is kind of slow. Don't get me wrong it works, but not near as fast as it should. I have purposely not purchased 4 because of this, and may even wait years to purchase another product from your company because of the (slightly) shady business practices that have been utilized here. I think this in time will be the best product on the market. Being the best in concept is not the same as having the best product either way. You guys can post all of these awards and accolades, but when people are complaining this much about so many different things, then it just shows there is more than likely a pay off to the reviewers and websites saying it's amazing. Just like how Luminar 4 when searched shows the same date for over 20 websites reviewing it?? Like that's not super fishy. Just know not everyone is stupid like you guys think, but it's also an extreme love hate with this product.

Thanks for reading. 

Wim van der Meer

I will certainly want to try Luminary's 4 before buying it, or, as Peter Hellstrand suggests, have a money back option. I want to see if it has the improvements I have been waiting for. I want to know if it is worth the money. Sky replacement isn't enough, in fact I probably will not use it much if at all. So what other improvements do we get?

Nancy Goodenough

I regularly work thru many different filters, so made a workspace called ALL FILTERS to make it easier for my workflow. Will I be able to do this with Luminar 4? (Could you make a tab called ALL?)

I regularly stack HSL with different masks for different areas within a layer. Will I still be able to do this?

I do many layers and each layer gives me a different look and I turn the various layers on and off in different combinations to determine the direction of my final result. Will I still be able to do this?

Luminar is very important to me. I'm okay with not using the DAM. It's the filters that matter to me. Thanks. n

Andy H

@Martim. This is concerning and more proof that Skylum appear to be locking (or is that dumbing) down Luminar and taking editing flexibility and control away from photographers - or at least making any potential work around a complete pain.  The proliferation of more gimmicky AI together with how it will handle filters indicates to me that Luminar is becoming Photolemur on steroids and thus cannot be considered a professional grade product anymore.  

I originally had no intention of upgrading to Luminar 4 based on my experiences with version 3, but had some money set aside anyway and was waiting until I had a chance to try a trial version. Having seen these last few postings and the latest videos for the Luminar 4 interface (for AI Sky and AI Portrait), I've just taken that money and put it towards ON1 Photo RAW 2020 instead. RIP Luminar, 2018 was a vintage year, shame it went downhill so rapidly after that.

Sascha Picchiantano

Gimmicky AI features... you nailed it. 

I think everybody here who is still hoping and waiting for Luminar to become a viable Lighroom alternative that can please the professional and semi-professional crowd is wasting their time. It's quite obvious now with L4 being just another minor upgrade (it should be called Luminar 1.4, not Luminar 4.0). 

Coupled with the scam tactics of Skylum this software has become a total no-go. And to anyone who is still considering to buy: Don't. You're wasting your money. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.