Luminar 4

Comments

87 comments

Daniel Kämpf

Hey Skylum, you announce me no paid updates for at least whole 2019! So why should I pay for version 4 in autumn 2019? Do your job, get Lumninar 3 ready. Maybe skip the sky replacement to later time, no problem. But please stay to what you announced. Otherwise you'll lose me!

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Moss

I'm fuming - I bought Luminar 3 this month and now I'm offered an upgrade at near the same price I have just paid! I bought it in the belief that Skylum would be updating 3 this year and would finally resolve the poor speed of batch processing, not just moving on to another paid version.

Utterly appalled, I wish I'd stayed with Lightroom!

Michael Anderson

Ask for your money back and delete all their products from your machine.

Terry Rogers

@Paul: The upgrade to Luminar 4 is optional because Luminar 3 will be further supported with free updates. The next 3.1.3 update of Luminar 3 is planned to be released later this summer.

Sascha Picchiantano

@terry how stupid do you think people are? Will L3 get any new features? No. Everytime you release a new feature you make it a major new Luminar version, forcing people into upgrading. This - by the very definition - is a pure scam.

Paul Moss

@Terry quoted from the pre-Luminar 3 release "Because you shouldn't have to pay extra for new features that every photographer needs"  a short lived philosophy

I want the software that I have purchased to properly perform! It has been pushed as a Lightroom replacement. I used Lightroom with LRTimelapse to happily produce 4K video in minutes - I had intended to use Luminar 3 to carry out the adjustments in batches for export to file and then compile in another program but it takes HOURS to batch process. Lord knows where Skylum has gone wrong but the performance is an embarrassment

Martim Durão

Hey Y'all! first of all, Skylum needs money to continue developing. Thats why they are launching Luminar 4. Another thing, to all of you that are saying that have left Luminar 2 years/1 Year ago, that stopped using it, etc,  why are you still here? Don't you g+have something better to do? To all of you who are saying replacing skys is cheating, don't do it, is totally up to you. You are not forced to use the filter... Stop nagging, it will get you nowhere...

Sascha Picchiantano

I nag as long as I god damn please, Martim. Who are you to tell others whether they have a right to complain or not? Feel free to stuff more money into this obvious scam, no one is holding you back. Those who have a valid reason to complain will complain and you are not going to stop it. 

Jack Larson

I am with Martim.  To Sascha, I would say, hearing the same complaints over and over again may help you to ventilate.  but it doesn't change anything.  You need to figure out what will create change.  The complaints that are being posted are of zip, zero value.  There are better ways to get through to the people who can do something to make the changes you desire.  The constant complaints certainly are not "News" and they are not telling us anything that we want to know about "Updates."  I think that Skylum should create a Community category called "Issues and Complaints"; then maybe the rest of us could be informed about "News and Updates."

Sascha Picchiantano

So you are saying that enough people complaining won't help... cute... under which rock have you been living?

Tom Pickering

Sascha -

Actually, throughout the short history of Luminar, the compaints posted (1st of Facebook, then here) have basically fallen on deaf ears.  If Skylum responds, it's to "promise" a particular fix or missing feature in the next update that's coming soon.  When the next update arrives, more likely than not we don't see what we're complaining about fixed or added.  So, wherever Jack and Martin, etc. is living, the management of Skylum is ignoring our complaints.  If that weren't the case, they wouldn't be pre-selling Luminar 4 when so much is yet to be done with Luminar 3.  It's horrible when you finally realize it, but your complaints will only serve to vent your upset - IT WILL NOT CHANGE A THING WITH SKYLUM'S PLANS!

Andy H

Wow! Reading this and other threads on this forum plus other social media, I don't think I've ever seen such a negative reaction to the announcement of a new product. Time to wake up and smell the coffee Skylum! Perhaps you should listen to your customers more, after all they pay your wages.

Jörg Westphal

luminar 4 its at time the false way. first think i that Luminar 3 correct work with promised functions and bug free and near loading speed from pictures like Ligthroom. What you make with Luminar is a occour at the consumer back. What you say with this way is Pay for more Bugfix . I am disappointed with you with this plan Skylum. i have hope to go a way from Adobe with his Abo madness but you go now the same way with only a year plan. have not a problem when a new function that not promised with like a little dlc for a small a mount off bugs when i this funktion i will must have.

Al Martire

Funny that the Roadmap link is no longer functional...

Michael Anderson

And note there has never been one for Flex.     Conspicuous in it's absence.

Kate Williams

Hi,

The Roadmap page is under maintenance now. We're working on it and it will be available in the nearest future. Stay tuned.

Jürgen Meier

I purchased LUMINAR three months ago. Now I´m very sad about the update price - 49 bucks. Hefty! SKYLUM, think about Your pricing. You will(!) dissappoint Your users with this kind of money-making.

John from Germany

Sascha Picchiantano

And Skylum keep deleting my criticism. My last 3 messages were deleted, this one is probably going to the dumpster as well. How weak is that. 

Jürgen Meier

Its not week probably .-) It may depend on what you wrote. - and how(!) You wrote.

Guy Meacham
    @Kate Williams : "The Roadmap page is under maintenance now. We're working on it and it will be available in the nearest future. Stay tuned".

Hey Kate, taking it down, rewriting it to match this weeks long term plan doesn't mean we all forget about the old one and what was promised for L3, some of those promises are 2 years old. Now you say replacing a sky with a stock image is more important to people than a working DAM. Maybe it is to some people but not your current customer base. 

It seems you guys have made the internal decision to go after a different market, the one click Photolemur market who you merged with last year.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over this I'll chalk my initial purchase back in November 2017 up to experience and move on. It's a shame Skylum has either chosen or been forced to treat it's existing customers like this though!
    Al Martire

I'm sorry, but this smells like a classic 'bait-n-switch' to me.

I personally am not opposed to paying for an upgrade to L4 if that's how Skylum insists on going forward (although I believe the proper thing to do is to provide it free of charge for those who purchased L3/2018/2017). 

But, $49 is not an appropriate price point considering the history thus far.  $29 would be the limit I would consider more palatable for those of us who purchased L3/2018/2017 under the premise that it would be updated to include all the promised features "free of charge until at least the end of 2019"...

The practice that in my opinion absolutely needs to stop is the whole pre-purchase your upgrade now, and under-deliver later.

Because I believe Luminar as a product has promise, I am willing to continue to "stick around" with a wait and see attitude. But will absolutely not pay for anything until after it has been released and tested. 

Kate Williams

@Jürgen, please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support so that we could figure something out for oyu. 

@Sascha, please refer to our community guidelines: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002269211-Community-Guidelines We'd highly appreciate if you could refrain from using swear words in your future posts. Otherwise, they are moderated. 

@Guy, AI Sky Replacement is definitely not the only feature that will be available in Luminar 4. Please stay tuned for further announcements. We'll keep introducing "Pro" features, as well as Library enhancements in the future releases.  

Sascha Picchiantano

I have not used swear words (unless you are US American, you would not consider my choice of words swearing at all). So don't try to paint me in a bad light here. You are actively censoring and silencing those who won't take this 5&3$§ from you without speaking up. 

It is unbelievable how you guys just ignore the outrage of your customers. Have you already forgotten the masses of bad reactions when you delayed L3 over and over again? You promised those who paid upfront for a release that came 18 months after its initial announcement they would get all future updates throughout 2019 for free. Yet here we are, Skylum is screwing everyone over AGAIN.

This is - plain and simple - a scam. 

Try harder, Kate. 

Jack Larson

Kate - thank you for your post.  Personally, I think that posting the same type of complaints over and over defeats the legitimate purpose of "News and Updates."  People with real issues would benefit much more from going to Support.  Those are the people who can do something about their concerns.  Furthermore, anyone who has been working in the Digital Darkroom for any time at all knows how extremely difficult it is to create a successful DAM.  The editing features of Luminar (whether Luminar 3.1 or Luminar Flex) are terrific.  Personally,  I would never install a new DAM until it had a track record of real success.  (Just like I never update to a new operating system until it reaches .2 or .3.)  Risk taking is confined to being a Beta tester where you expect to have problems.

Anna Veres

Hi Sascha, 

I am sorry to hear that.

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support and we will do our best to figure something out for you. 

Sascha Picchiantano

Anna, there is nothing to figure out here. You just stop this scam and keep up your promise that ALL upgrades for 2019 will be free for those who pre-ordered L3. That was your promise, now go get your act together and keep it up.

Michael Anderson

@ Sascha,

Well said.   Fulfilling a previous commitment does not take "figuring out".   It takes implementation by Skylum.  Ball is in their court. 

Andy H

So if you look at the Skylum release dated September 22, 2018 (https://skylum.com/blog/new-luminar-with-libraries-no-paid-upgrades-and-more), it says this:

While software companies typically roll out paid updates every year, there will be no paid updates for Luminar until late 2019 at the earliest.

Then later in the article it says this:

However, this week, we made a decision to forgo any paid upgrades at least until the end of 2019......

So in fairness, although these statements are a little contradictory, Skylum did indicate the potential for us to pay something in 2019.

However, the timing of when Skylum charge for Luminar 4 is irrelevant to me, I just won't be paying for it period as I have no desire to own it after my experiences with Version 3 and I have no confidence that Skylum will deliver us an effective product.

Greg Luckett

I'm with Sasha on this one. This has scam written all over it. We are told that all updates in 2019 would be free and receive a couple of updates. Then, part way through, we are told that it would now be a paid upgrade because it is now called Luminar 4, which is a "whole new product." We still haven't seen what was already promised in the product yet, and now you are off working on some shiny new toy because your "artists you talked to requested it."

I for one am done with Skylum. For the money you offered the upgrade for (well, for 20,000 people, that is), I purchased On 1 Photo Raw which is already well ahead of Luminar where useful functionality is concerned (hallelujah for having Keywords again).

James Andreas

With On1 adding CR3 support yesterday, I think I'll just be moving on. 

I'll stick with AirMagic for lazy drone edits, but I'm sort of done with Luminar. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.