Automatic lens correction not available in Aurora 2019

Comments

4 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

I can see how automatic lens correction in Aurora would be very useful. I'll pass the suggestion to our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
  • Hi Angela,

Please take into consideration the automatic lens correction.

Batch processing is completely useless if automatic lens correction cannot be applied in the process.

At least it would be good, to be able to apply lens correction manually to a batch processing.

Regards

David Hyre

This is a required feature for the very next update/version of AURORA if you want it to remain competitive (better actually); ON1, SNS, and others do both HDR stacks and automated correction already. I do a lot of batch HDR work with large sets (hundreds), and as far as I'm aware my choices in Aurora 2019 are:

1) Use the JPEGs from the camera because they're already lens-corrected, but then get halos from the JPEGs; or 

2) manually slog through hundreds of pics manually correcting the results from the batch. 

Both kind of make useless different features you worked to add to Aurora (batch and eradicating halos). 

While you're working on actual lens correction, you would do well to incorporate your own version of Topaz JPEG-to-RAW for processing brackets of JPEGs, at least the dynamic range, I think you might be able to reduce the halos by 70% or better. Right now they're obvious on about 80% of my JPEG sets (I process both JPEGs and RAWs of the same brackets and pick the least-troublesome).

Lars Michael

I got lens correction followed by grouped batch processing in Aurora HDR 2019 to work for me. Well, sort of (see note at the bottom).

You will need Photoshop (actually Bridge, but it is part of Photoshop installation). CS6 is what I used, but I think it might work as far back as CS. More modern version like CC should be not problem either.

Here is the workflow:

Place your image captures into one folder, and open that folder with Adobe Bridge. In Bridge, select all images and hit <Ctrl-R> (in Windows) {might be <Cmnd-R> in MacOS} to open Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) from within Bridge.

In ACR, click "Select All" (upper left corner), and under the "Lens Corrections" tab, choose from the available Profile, Color, and Manual corrections. (If you want to keep those changes, you might want to press "Done" to accept the changes and close ACR, and then reopen it from Bridge).

With all images still selected, click "Save Image..." (lower left corner).

In the "Save Options", choose the destination folder, and then go with Format: TIFF and Metadata: All (this makes sure the EXIF information gets transferred into the TIFF, so that the batch process can group files together). Press "Save" to let 'er rip.

The resulting TIFF files can have the lens corrections "baked in" and can be grouped and batch processed with Aurora HDR.

NOTE: The bake-in process means that you are not processing straight from your raw capture any more. It also means that extra disk is required (at least temporarily), and the extra step also slows down the work flow (a few seconds per TIFF). This might be a show-stopper for some. For me, I was surprised how much cleaner the HDR images look at the pixel level, and it is well worth the extra step.

Please sign in to leave a comment.