Save/Export to original folder

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback on the export dialog. I can see how the limitations could be frustrating. I will share your suggestion with our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Barnard

Dayo, yes this is the second time I've raised this as well.  First time about a year ago as well.

I'm tempted to offer to work for them for a month free of charge to implement this feature...  The coding will take less than a day do for both windows and OSX, allow a 20:1 overhead for test, documentation etc should make this about a person month feature.  Obviously all the hot shot developers want to work of the fancy bells and whistles features and the cool AI stuff but at the end of the day it is simple things like this that make the difference between a program being a joy to use and it being a grating frustration every time it's launched.

With the introduction of Flex this has now reached the magnitude of incompetence on the part of the product managers.  With full Luminar and the catalogue you could argue that it's not the 'standard' work flow to want to save to the original folder.  For Flex I can't conceive of a different way of using it unless you have a tiny number of images and a flat file system.  I suspect thats what Skylum use for testing...

Ju To

Hello, 

I'm testing right now Luminar, and for now I really like this software and I'm planning to buy it.

However this export dialog looks like a real pain for daily use. 

If I understand well, I can't export several edited pictures, to his original folder, in one shot ? I have to click on each picture, find the folder, add something like _edited in the name, and click export ? Am I right or there is an easy way to do this ?

Anna Veres

Hi Ju To, 

If you refer to Luminar Flex: yes, you are supposed to open images one by one & export one by one or use batch processing. 

With Luminar 3 and Library functionality you can select multiple images and export them in one shot. 

Paul Barnard

Anna,

The problem is that Luminar, and Flex, don't give the option of saving to the original file.  It drives me nuts.  What Ju is asking for, an auto extension to prevent overwrite, is a great addition but even the simple principle of defaulting the folder to the one the file was opened from would go a loooooonnnnngggggg way to making Luminar and Flex behave like 99% of other SW and make the usability so much better.

Ju To

Thank you both for your answers.

I'm referring to Luminar.

I understand I can select several files, and export at once, but only with the original name.

What I can't do is: export several files (from several folders) to their respective original folder, with a different name (to keep the original). Lightroom does this very smothly.

It seems to be a recurring old request:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360005199191-Better-export-

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360004006612-Export-location

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360034548192-Exporting-files

Is there any plan of improving this functionality ? I'm really hesitating to go furher in my trial, as this problem is a major productivity break.

Please sign in to leave a comment.