Luminar 3.1.1 on an iMac(late 2012) Running OS X 10.14.5I

Comments

7 comments

Kirk Osborn

Please try creating a new Luminar Catalog:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will not be accessible in Luminar after you've renamed the catalog folder. They will still be saved on your hard drive should you need to access them in the future. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

After that, you should be able to create a new catalog. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Edward Fritzen

I’ve done what you’ve suggested and there is no improvement in performance.  I’m trying to open a catalog which contain JPG/NEF pairs which were exported from my Aperture library by relocating the masters(originals) to the HD.  Does anyone use Luminar with large catalogs, containing >10,000 images successfully?

Ed

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry to hear that my colleague's suggestion didn't improve performance for you. Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll further investigate the issue.

Edward Fritzen

Here’s an update.  I upgraded my RAM to 24GB and noticed a slight improvement in opening a catalog. My catalog containing 16000 images still takes about 4 minutes to update the image gallery.  I recently saw a YouTube video by David Watts in which he tested how fast Luminar 3.1.1 is in opening a catalog containing 230000 images.  This took him only 90 sec and his system is essentially the same as mine.  We both have iMacs (late 2012) with 24GB of RAM and store the images on a USB-3 External HD.  I’d be thrilled with his results.  I don’t have nearly as many images as that, but I don’t think I should have to create numerous small Luminar Catalogs just to make Luminar useable.  I’ve already had some contact with the Luminar support team via email and have tried the suggestions I have received.  I thought I would post here in the community to see how others have been able to use Luminar.  I appreciate the advice.  

Marcel Molleman

Hey Edward,

for what it's worth, running Luminar 3 also on an iMac 2012 (but also on an MacBook Pro 2016) Intel i5 with 8GB and the photos on an external (thunderbolt) Lacie disk and it works "normally". Have to wait here and there a couple of seconds, but that is to be expected. Having 18000+ photos in the library. mostly RAW photos and just edited a couple (10 - 15 photos) with minimal delay etcetera.

So don't know what's going on with your setup :-(
    It is slower then when I'm on my MacBook Pro 2016, but then again the iMac is an i5 8GB ram and an oldskool 3.5 inch internal drive, which is so slow :-( and the MacBook Pro is an i7 16GB ram and 512GB SSD.

Just wanted to let you know, maybe the problem is somewhere else (don't know what or where, sorry)

Marcel

Edward Fritzen

First of all I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread.  I thought I would provide an update on what I've done in the hopes that others might find it useful in improving the performance of Luminar 3.  I'm not sure exactly what was most responsible for the improvements in performance I've seen, but I think all played some part.  Here are the things I've done:

1.  I increased the internal RAM in my iMac(late 2012) to a total of 24GB 1600 Mhz DDR3.

2.  I updated Luminar to version 3.1.2

3.  I then relocated originals from Aperture into a new folder created on my external G-drive USB C HD (4 TB) named "Aperture Originals".  When relocating the originals from Aperture I made sure to select Image Year/Month/Day as the subfolder format and left the name format as Version Name.  I originally had tried to relocate the originals with a subfolder format of Project, and I think this caused a big problem.

4.  I created a new Luminar Catalog, also on the same external G-drive USB C HD and began to add each year's folder, one at a time. I would then quit and relaunch Luminar 3 to see how performance went.  I was pleased to find that Luminar 3 opened the image gallery much faster than I had seen previously.  Eventually I was able to add 11 folders with a total of 91167 images.  When I launch Luminar now, the image gallery opens is less than minute.  This is huge improvement  and now makes Luminar usable in my hands.  I've edited some photos and things seem to working fine.  Here's a screen shot which shows the settings I use to relocate originals from Aperture

Here's a screen shot showing file structure on my external HD

I was hesitant to add all the images at once by trying to add the "Aperture Originals" folder, so this folder is not seen in Luminar 3, only the subfolders shown are in Luminar 3. Like I said, I'm not sure which of these steps contributed the most to the performance improvements I've seen now with Luminar 3.  I hope this might help others and the Luminar support team as they troubleshoot Luminar Performance issues. I make no guarantees that this will work for everyone and if you follow these steps, you do so at your own risk.  The bottom line is I was able to successfully export over 91,000 original images from Aperture and add them to a Luminar catalog.  Luminar launches and updates the image gallery in less than a minute.  I'm able to edit photos and can use Luminar on my iMac (late 2012) which has the following specifications.

I hope others might find this useful.

Ed

Anastasia Davis

Hi Ed! 
    Thanks for sharing all this info. I am glad to hear that the performance is much better now. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.