New Luminar 3.1.1 update brings usability and speed improvements

Comments

59 comments

Kirk Osborn

Our tech team is trying to improve the performance of Luminar with every update. Please stay tuned, there are more tweaks and fixes to come.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric

Kirk, when, when exactly would that be? The software was released over half a year ago already and it’s still barely usable performance-wise and riddled with bugs. And Skylum knew beforehand that it wasn’t anywhere near ready. Then why release it and charge money for it when it’s barely in beta stage? How much longer do you want to promise your paying customers that this magical update is coming that solves all the issues? Each time that empty promise is repeated and a mediocre update is released, Skylum loses more and more credibility.

Not really expecting an answer though because you don’t have one anyway, this is more rhetorical venting out of frustration. After all, hope dies last...

Colin Grant

Very well said, Eric. It is a constant flow of shallow promises and monumental failures without doubt.

Angelo D'Souza

Amazing how Skylum operates. A disaster from the beginning! 

Marcel Molleman

Well maybe that's a little harsh, 'A disaster from the beginning'.

Sure, the software could be better/faster but it is absolutely workable with 13.000+ photos, although mine are on an external USB-C SSD drive. I use an MacBook Pro 2016 i7 - 16GB RAM - 512 GB SSD

But in my opinion Skylum should make haste with the implementation of Apple's Metal in Luminar 3. It would give such an performance boost. Seen it with Affinity's Photo and Designer and Metal integration, they fly! Or for instance with Sparkle website builder and even in RapidWeaver!
    And the DAM should be more extensive to be more productive and workable. All of wich Skylum is working on, as stated in their roadmap.

But I guess it is a little more complicated then just flicking a switch!
    Get the application more streamlined, make haste with Metal integration and DAM (like IPTC, MetaData etcetera).
    And then I think there are a lot of user request and everybody wants his/her's implemented right away.

I must say since the Luminar 3.1.1 update I did a project of 60 - 70 pictures, all RAW editing, cropping, maybe a filter here and there and exporting the pictures with specific size and it worked very well!

Sure I know it could be faster when viewing a raw file (takes a couple of seconds) or cropping / Erase - Clone&Stamp. Also when viewing an photo with lot's of editing, it looks like sometimes Luminar builds the photo from the ground up, applying every filter / edit done on the photo. That shouldn't be noticeable.

Then I must say, I got in with Luminar 3 (so not that long of a Luminar user), but I got it for $ 40,- with a sale.
    I mean $ 40,- is a real steal for what Luminar 3 offers with a very good RAW engine the AI 2.0 and layers, brushes, radial - gradient - luminosity masking, camera (and lens) support etcetera! I mean it does offer a lot and a lot in a good way. Maybe not the fastest way but it is a very feature rich program. Which gets better over time from my stand of view (although I'm not fond of the 3.1.1 update, because I think 3.1 was quicker). 

I was a longtime Apple Aperture user, but it also had it's quirks or waiting for more functions to come.

I wrote this because sometimes there are people writing about Luminar like it is all trash which is not the case in my opinion.
    Sure it could (and should!) be faster by now, sure the DAM is pretty DAMN not 100% ready for primetime and sure some updates are better then others. And maybe they overstated a little but I notice that they are working on it.

Take a look at this guy, alway working and explaining Luminar and enjoying the program: Jim Nix

Colin Grant

A dam that is absolute rubbish and has far less functionality than a file manager, poor performance, poor masking and a product that is not as good as its previous version. And it is not a new product either. I guess you gauge it by price - it’s cheap and therefore it’s good enough. A lot of us do not work that way and it’s only cheap because of its problems.

Marcel you're going a bit too easy on them. You have a really good computer, it's much worse for everyone who doesn't. I tried running luminar on 8gb ram and ever little click was a wait time of 3 to 5 seconds. Basically unuseable. With 16gb ram, i7 and a 500gb ssd I got it to run okay with lag of 2 to 5 seconds between clicks but with some clicks not lagging at all and some lagging for a long while. Having this issue alone makes using the software a terrible experience because it takes me triple the time to finish an edit than it should. Plus the fact that it takes 30 to 40 seconds for me to export the final result...The first priority should have been making the program efficient and more streamlined because that's arguably more important than the features themselves. It's just really frustrating because I want to use Luminar as my primary editor but the slowness and bugs is making me frustrated constantly. I'm considering going back to lightroom even though it sucks and has half the features at least it works as intended and I can edit 3x as fast! If they couldn't get these speed improvements done within 6 months then the release should have have been pushed back, just my opinion.

Colin Grant

Lr is not Luminar. It is a superior dam and raw editor. The other bits are done by Ps. Please understand what the software does before you say it sucks. Loads of pros clearly do not agree with your analysis.

Wow, what do you know. I just installed Lightroom on my 2011 Mac with 16gb ram, 500 ssd drive with i7 and it works FLAWLESSLY. Not a single lag, glitch, etc. Jpegs export in 5 seconds. At this point i'll be patiently waiting for Luminar to get its act together and make a program that functions relatively well and i'll only use it for edits where I need the features. For everything else I will be using Lightroom to save hours of my time. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a program that doesn't lag, doesn't glitch (spot tool glitching is killing me), and doesn't take more than 10 seconds to export a jpeg. I really can't wait for this to happen because I do love Luminar but until this happens it is almost useless to me. 

Tom Treuten

@colin - Luminar3 ist offered and sold as a pro-tool RAW editor. That is one of the reasons to choose Luminar3. I am totally aware that Luminar3 may not be the superior tool as LR, after several years of market leadership. But still In do personally expect more from a pro-tool than 3-5 seconds (or more) of delay for a fluent workflow when using up2date and potent hardware.

Colin Grant

L3 is rubbish, Tom, and selling it as a pro tool is somewhat misleading in my view. L3 needs rebuilding from the ground up whilst Flex does offer a viable plugin. What percentage of pros use L3 I wonder? On the other hand Lr is reasonably fast on my 2017 iMac as is Ps The raw editor is superior via ACR with first class lens correction and selective editing tools. I am on the latest versions. Of course Lr actually has a good dam whilst L3 does not even have search functionality.

Tom Treuten

At least they realized some performance improvement with 3.1.2.. It's still not a performance beast but I do notice improvement in the right direction and it starts becoming usable. And pls. notice, dear Skylum L3 team: the 'on this day' feature is complete unnecessary bogus. It may work for mobile phone junkies with google fanclub stickers, but is wasted effort, time and money for anyone seriously in photography. Just my 2 cents.

Colin Grant

Well said, Dayo. Clearly this is not a pro tool - it is a gimmicky mess.

Simon Wilkinson

In the edit mode. Photos are blurred for approx 12-15 seconds when selected. Also working between separate pictures concurrently the load times are slowing my process down alot as the presets along the bottom of the screen take an age to catch up with the new photo on screen

Phil Hurd

You also forgot to mention that you have removed significant functionality from the Library

Colin Grant

I missed that,Phil, as I use Lr and Flex (or Nik). What functionality is that - it never had much to start with :-)

Phil Hurd

I am absoluteley steaming Colin. I Store my Master images in Date/Time order on my external hard drive. I am anal enough to rename all my files so that the files are contigous. In Lightroom I used to then create Collections so that I could have an image in multiple collections (and sub-collections), say a photo of an old mine in Cornwall could be in 'Cornwall', 'Industrial', "Mines' etc. you get the picture!

In Luminar, I created Albums and then Sub-Albums to mirror my Lightroom Collections. Once Luminar was stable and I was happy that everything was working OK and stable, I deleted Lightroom.

In the latest upgrade( Ver. 3.1.2), the command to create a sub-album (folder) is greyed-out and they have removed the functionality with no plans to put it back again. I cannot even  roll-back to Ver 3.1.1 because the upgrade involved a database migration.

Skylum suggest that I use the Folders functionality instead, which will create duplicate images (at least) on my hard drive, I doubt they are going to pay for a new drive, are they!!!

I have tried really hard to support Skylum but I've had enought, they treat their cistomers like S**t

Colin Grant

I feel for you Phil, I really do. But that is Skylum - they care not about you or I. They bring on features and then drop them at the drop of a hat and they abandon past software pretty quickly. I guess their programming and design is so poor they end up dropping functionality to help increase speed. I am so pleased I never abandoned Lr and I cannot see me ever doing so.

Phil Hurd

Feels a bit like you are blaming the victim I have to say Dayo!

I have dceided to go back to 3.1.1 and use my backup catalogue. The DAM as it was implemented in V.3.1.1 was good enough for my needs at the present time.

In terms of your advice to Skylum to ditch the DAM, it looks as if that is what they are going to do because I cannot see the logic of dumping sub-folders functionality. it beggars belief.

Phil Hurd

I spoke too soon! Skylim are refusing to let me have a link to Ver 3.1.1. Any ideas anyone?

Phil Hurd

All is solved. That Angela Andrieux is brilliant you know. Popped her a quick email and I'm getting the Version 3.1.1 link,

I think the moral of that story might be "Don't mess with Angela" :-) 

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Phil, 

Please check your email. 

We have just sent you the link to the right version. 

Phil Hurd

Yep got it thanks Anna

Phil Hurd

Its strange though that Skylum Support spent 2 days trying to sort out my issue and then we find that it wasn't a bug, they'd removed the functionality. So it looks as if even the Support Desk didn't know about this!

James Moore

In addition to all of the above issues with Luminar 3, I thought I'd give it another try last evening with raw images from my new camera (Canon R). First problem - the Canon CR3 files are not recognised by Luminar so off to Google. Found a free conversion program from Adobe (oh no!) which converts (very quickly) a folder of CR2 files into DNG format that Luminar 3 DOES recognise. Woo hoo I'm on my way. I am trying this on my shiny new iMac which I bought purely for photo editing.

Next up the file database is (now) quickly established and I select my first image for editing. I am a real estate photographer so wanted to compare Luminar 3 with DXO Photolab (with Perspective add-in) to straighten my image and remove any barrel distortion. Things are looking up when I'm able to remove the distortion and then I move on to straighten the verticals and lo and behold this works too!! Hello, what's going on I ask myself, and then I'm brought back to reality when my newly straightened image reverts back to its original skewed version. I could not get the program to retain my edits.

For a few minutes there I thought I might actually be able to use this application but no sadly it remains unusable. So it's back to DXO and Luminar 2018 as needed. I am still getting great results with Aurora HDR 2019 (after CR3 conversion to DNG with Adobe Converter) so come on Skylum please get Luminar fixed. Surely you have enough feedback to know what's wrong (2018 worked so who broke it?).

When do we get a functioning version? 

Phil Hurd

Have you tried gthe 'official' Adobe DNG converter James? https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Kirk Osborn

Hi, James. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Michael Bartone

As many have stated above, I’m at a loss for the level of computing this app takes. I’m running a brand new 2019 15” MacBook Pro with a 6 core processor and 16gb of memory. It’s truly incredible to me that the moment I begin editing photos in Luminar, my laptop becomes almost unbearably hot, the fans start spinning, and my battery time decreases by a solid two hours.

I don’t know how much longer I can deal with it.

James Moore

Thank you Phil - yes the Adobe converter was the one I found. Works a treat, free and fast. Come on Skylum get your finger out!

Please sign in to leave a comment.