New Luminar 3.1.1 update brings usability and speed improvements

Pinned

Comments

59 comments

Matt Suess

Still no support for RAW files from Olympus E-M1X camera? 😢 Skylum is by far one of the last ones to support this camera...

Comment actions Permalink
    Mick Tomlinson

Swings and roundabouts... Yes the load time is considerably faster, but now the whole gallery view is blurred, each photo taking ages to come into focus. When opening an individual blurred photo to view, it can take over 5 seconds to load properly. That adds up when going through many photos!

Jos Vromen

Yes, it’s faster, remarkable faster. It’s much more fun to work with. Did try NIK, works great although I don’t see much use for it thanks to the Skylum filters. Did just a quick try and I like it more and more. Keep up the good work !

Helena Carter

@Matt,

There's no ETA for this camera support yet, but we will keep you posted. 

@Mick,

We're sorry to hear that. Please, contact our Support Team and report this issue: https://skylum.com/support

Tim Gillespie

Is there a way to turn on file names in grid mode?

I have to see file names or I cannot use it.

Thanks.

Tim G.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tim,

Not at this time, but I'll share the suggestion with our developers. For now, you can view photo info by clicking over to the Info tab.

Matt Suess

@Tim I sure wish there was a way!! In fact I did a poll in my public Learn Luminar & Aurora Facebook Group asking if others thought this was an important feature. Results were 102 to 1 in favor of needing the ability to see filenames in grid view!! 

@angela perhaps you can share this with others at Skylum? I've gotten nowhere in my attempts...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Matt - I'll certainly share this with those in charge! I know a lot of folks would find this helpful.

Geoffrey Connor

Still takes forever plus a day to save.

Mark Quatz

For me there is still a huge issue.

Browsing through the pictures in the library mode goes fast, no problem so far.

However in the edit mode there still is a major problem. When I move to a next (or previous) image, the image is immediately visible. But it takes more then 5 seconds before I can edit the image. After moving to a next (or previous) image, the histogram shows normally but the filters are all grayed out. Then in the histogram, all the colors move to the left side. After a few seconds the histogram snaps back to a normal view and the filters are not greyed out and I can start edit. This process takes more then 5 seconds and happens on every image.

That's complete unusable when editing a bunch of images.

Tim Gillespie

Honestly, they know how important it is to be able to call a file by it's name. Usually I have over 500 images in each directory, many times I have much more. The images can be almost identical. If I cannot uniquely identify every image, I simply cannot develop a robust enough work flow to achieve my goals in that editing session.

I work with clients on projects most every day and I only bill time when it goes into advancing the project. Fumbling time is on me. And when the work load get heavy, I cannot afford to hunt and peck around looking for some filename.

Simply put, this is a deal killer. No matter how much I like the developer.

Personally I think they would do it if they could. This development is struggling. I don't mean to be rude but what do you need to see to realize this. Sooner or later this necessary and simple feature will show up.

Until then, keep scratching your head. It feels better!

Tim G.

Jaap Nauta

I really like the Luminar 3 functionality, but performance of 3.1.1 is stll well under par compared to what I was used to in Aperture: loading a Sony RAW for editing takes up to 20 seconds, exporting a 20 MB RAW picture to a 1 MB JPEG takes 40 - 60 seconds...... Same operation with Aperture: 3-5 seconds to load for editing , export to JPEG : 3 seconds...........

Unless I see something drastic happening with performance I cannot see myself continue using Luminar, it is not possible to work through a pile of holiday pictures and still enjoy my photo hobby.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi,

We have shared this poll to our technical department.

This issue is currently under consideration. 

Regarding the performance, we are still working on it and the speed of the app.

We will do our best to release the updates quite often to make Luminar 3 satisfy your needs.

James Moore

Sadly this new release is still unusable so I'm back to using the 2018 version. It does load quicker but there the improvements end I'm sorry to report. Clone and stamp unusable as it takes too long (or freezes, I can't wait for it to make up its mind) - the 2018 version works fine in this regard. Saving a file takes forever and the progress bar does not move whilst saving. Changing filters causes the file being edited to return to its previous state. Any slight movement of the mouse either moves the cursor (good) or changes the file to another one (very bad)

Can I suggest that you just give up on this version until you've got it sorted. I use DXO Photolab and it loads and processes almost instantly (with it's DAM too). My Luminar 2018 is very good as is Aurora 2019. But Luminar 3 sorry it's just no longer a viable application for me. I bought a new iMac just for photo editing and every other app works just fine. 

Christopher Laskowski

I have read many of the forum posts about speed, crunchy skies, saving, opening of photos.  I then tried my own test using my current go-to app as well as an old copy of LR-6.  

Opening a file - Luminar is the slowest - about 3 seconds slower than the the other two.

Skies- I loaded a raw file (ISO-100) and did the same adjustments on all three apps (highlights, shadows, exposure, contrast) - Lum was "crunchy" but I had to do some pixel-peeping to see it.  From a 16x20 print - would not see the issue.  The other two apps - no issues.

Saving - Wow!!!!  23 seconds to save a single JPG?  The other two apps did it in about 2 (two) seconds @ 300ppi.  As it was previously stated - multiply this by 80-100 photos - no way.  That would be 40-50 minutes.  LR6 can do it in 3 minutes, same for On-1.

Opening - See last comment - Very slow when opening a file (16 seconds).  Even worse when opening a folder with 50 RAW files.  

Computer - MacBook Pro - 2.6GHz 6-core CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD storage.  Each test was from a fresh boot with no other apps running in the background.

The cataloging - not even close to the basics that LR6 can give.

Haven't given up yet on Luminar but none of the updates have been anything to write home about.  LR-6 and its closest competitor (On-1Photo)  are light-years beyond in the cataloging. 

Andrew Hewitt

It's definitely a big improvement over previous versions, I have been able to import my 45,000 image library, and edit a bunch of images without a crash (so far).

However, as others have said, performance in editing mode is not good at all. It does start off not too bad, not great, but not too bad. But as I get into the process of working through the folder, it does get slower and slower, until I see all four processor cores hitting 100%. It does this on every image after a while, and takes longer and longer to be able to edit an image, and to move onto the next one.

I'm not using a particularly new machine, a Late 2013 iMac, but it's reasonably well specced, with a 3.2GHz quad core processor, 16GB RAM, a 500GB SSD internally, and a USB 3 external for the file storage.

I have also been running Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC at the same time as each other, and don't see any such performance problems there.

I am running Luminar alone with no other apps running.

It's getting there, but still not enough to convince me to ditch my CC subscription just yet, simply based on this performance.

Plenty of other features that need tweaking too:

• Remember my Lens adjustment settings, or at least let me save them into a 'Look'.
    • Remember Crop settings (such as aspect lock and grid settings).
    • Allow editing of saved Workspaces.
    • Remember open/closed state of editing panels.

That'll do for starters anyway. I haven't spent much time with the file browser/DAM element as yet, but adding a proper thumbnail view with info overlay would be beneficial too.

Keep going guys, it's getting better, but really too slowly if you want to compete.

However, to balance this out with something positive, the results I see with some very basic adjustments, using the AI tools and the Structure tool particularly, are pretty stunning, but for the painful performance I would be looking to switch over to Luminar as my main DAM/editor.

Hoping for better things to come still, and wish you all the best.

Andy

Werner Spieker

coming back from 5 weeks holidays- with lot's of pic's..

1.) Luminar 3 want open the pictures, stuck with Picture Library

2.) have read here and followed all step's to a) remove it, with the suggested program

3.) b) loaded the file as suggested

4.) it still stucks with Picture import,

5.) but was able to check for an up-dated Vers. , done this, and after a couple of hours it was running..!

6.) but today it want to start it again... and it shuts down (crashed) while loading..

so what the hell it should do, to keep it up and running smooth..?

Send me an mail, with working link's a.s.a.p.

-one more frustrated customer-

Kind Regards

Werner

Terry Rogers

Hi Werner! Please contact us at support@skylum.com and we will be happy to help you.

Werner Spieker

Hi Terry, thx. so far, have responded to your mail, via mail, seems to work for now, hope it will last longer.

Regards

Werner

Edward Fritzen
    1. I've been trying to use Luminar 3.1.1 since it came out and find it very slow, even to open a catalog containing about 16,000 images.  This takes well over 5 minutes.  Catalogs with greater amounts of images take even longer.  I've contacted support and have tried their suggestions without much success.  I am using an iMac 27" (late 2012) with 8GB of RAM, running OSX 10.14.5. This configuration still runs Apple's defunct Aperture fine.  My images are stored on an external HD, a G-Drive 4TB USBC.  I'll upgrade the RAM and perhaps store my images and Luminar Catalogs on an external solid state drive if I were sure Luminar would perform better.  I'd be interested in hearing what other system configurations are being used to run Luminar successfully.  Thanks
    Anastasia Davis

Hi Edward! You noted that your images are located on your external drive. Could you try creating a catalog with images on your internal drive? This way, performance will be better. 
    As for the RAM, you are right, that is the main factor in the performance of the app.

Holger G

agree... the startup is improved and faster, but the edit module is still slow. It takes several seconds until I can edit a photo (MacBook Pro 2018).

Colin Grant

I am no L3 fan. It was a rubbish release and still has a long, long way to go before the so called DAM has half decent functionality. We need some enhancement to masking too. That said, 3.1.1 at least works on my Mac. No crashes but at times previously edited images take an age to become accessible and sometimes they just hang. Clicking away and coming back seems to cure it. So yes it is now seemingly a reasonable basis upon which to build but it remains far too sluggish around the editing work-space. I cannot help but love Luminar's approach to editing via the filters but wish attention had been given to detail at the outset of L3. In the meantime we have Flex.

Mirco Egon In-Albon

For me it still takes ages to Load the Gallery, and a single picture until i can start to edit it takes about 60-80 seconds, one of the main problems is loading the "Looks" this really takes ages.

then after editing a couple of images, i lose, as previous all the looks, folders are just empty

right click in the gallery mode still not work, on an open single picture it works

Browsing the gallery is a pain

i do have 16gb of RAM, no other applications opened, but is continuously running on its limit

I was really looking forward to the Luminar solution with DAM, but as it works at the moment i am losing my passion to edit my pics. 

last time support gave me advice on how to solve the right click problem i lost all my previous edits (5000+) what was extremely frustrating too

I was happy to leave Adobe, but it seems there is no way to get happy with Luminar, so i am considering again a Lightroom subscription

Helena Carter

Hi Dayo,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll pass it to the person in charge. We're constantly improving Luminar 3.

However, as to UI, currently, we don't plan to change it.

@Mirco,

We're improving Luminar 3 performance with each update.

Nevertheless, it might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size and images format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews)

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Also, as a workaround, I can suggest you to try dividing your Library into several Catalogs. it will improve Luminar 3 speed.

Mirco Egon In-Albon

@ Helena

a bit more is acceptable, but not up to 60 and more seconds for 1 pic

in my library i had previously 15'000 + images, i divided up to 4 libraries as given advice to me before, the speed boost was so small that i got back to 1 library

they are located on an external drive, however for tests i had them on an internal drive too, speed was still not acceptable

But what is really the biggest trouble is working with Luminar Looks, after editing 7-10 images i have to restart Luminar 3 again because it's just losing the Looks, also Loading the Luminar looks when switching between images is extremely slow.

and my right-mouse-click problem is still not solved, at least for me, even not after the update, based on other users they don't have this issue

Helena Carter

Mirco, 

Thanks for your reply.

Please contact us at support@skylum.com so we could investigate the issue with Looks and right-click.

Tom Treuten

Yep. It starts faster. But imho overall performance in browsing and editing is still unacceptable. Ok, and it does not seem to crash anymore....

Whenever I change from one pic to another it takes about 3-5 seconds to get from blurry preview into a focused picture. This is totally annoying and you can't work with Luminar that way. So what is it with this delay? How do I get rid of it? And why does it happen every time again and again. I might consider this when opening the pic for the very first time ever but not repeating this waste of time every time I call it again.

My library is on an external drive - but never had such performance issues with Lightroom or any other applications before.

I'm using an iMac with i7 3,2GHz, 16GB Ram and Radeon Pro 555X. So performance is never an issue except when working with Luminar - the fan hits skyrocket to cool my CPUs.

I'll probably give Luminar another 3-4 months then I'll look for another Lightroom alternative or - even if I do not like the payment model of Adobe - will turn back the Adobe world.

Agree with Tom T. above. Having serious issues with Luminar 3 having major lagging. Just updated my 2011 Macbook with 16gb ram, 500gb ssd and a 524mb intel graphics card. Wondering if the graphics card is too low for Luminar. If that's the case i'm going to have to switch to another software because I just got this laptop and installed the ram and i'm not returning it. 

My fans skyrocket when I use Luminar and my battery drains fast. Really a shame, I love the software but between minor issues and the slowness I may have to consider alternatives. 

Terry Rogers

Hi! Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.