New Luminar 3.1.1 update brings usability and speed improvements

Pinned Featured

Comments

28 comments

Michael Anderson

Great that there is another update to Luminar!  Very positive news for those that use full Luminar.

But this release raises the question....."What about Luminar Flex?".   It seems to already be an orphan.

Nadarajah Thirugnanasothy

Thank you Alina. It looks impressive.

I am running Version 3 (3.1.0.2942) in Windows and had few problems with CATALOG. 

What is the safe way to install the new update without damaging the CATALOG?

Thank you.

Didier DUPRAT

seems to be far better than 3.1

freya09

Hi, is there an offline update file that we can download? It consistently fails to install.  Error says I am not connected to the internet but I am.

Before updating to 3.1.1(windows) I thought I will do a backup of my catalog and looked for instructions. Found this link https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-12-managing-libraries and it says

To back up a catalog:

• Go to File > Catalog > Backup.  
    • Luminar opens a dialog box that lets you choose where you want to save your backup file.  
    • To restore a backup file go to File > Catalog > Restore from Backup

Under File>Catalog   I cant find Backup.

Steven Sternberg

I am using a mac.

For some reason it feels even slower. I have more black tiles than before.

Also, sometimes Luminar 3 does not close and I have to force it to close.

I find it very disappointing :(.

Lars-Göran Nordström

The launch time is faster, but what I like the best with this update is that the brush responses much quicker now. Thank you for this.

Helena Carter

@Steven

Thanks for your feedback. Please, contact our Support Team on this issue, we'll be happy to help: https://skylum.com/support

Jan Schoonakker

I tried to install the update last night several times. Today again. The update comes too slow while my connection is fast enough, 250 down / 25 up. I tried wired and wireless but it is too slow the update and then I get the message error and try it later.

please I want to have the update.

Greetings Jan Schoonakker

James Carper

Hooray! The new update brought my Luminar 3 back to life! The previous update brought using the program to a dead stop, as it absolutely refused to open any file. So, this is MUCH better! Thanks!

Norbert Deniflé

The update worked quite well. Only on the next start of my Windows machine appeared the message: "The Luminar 3" wanted to uninstall by itself. When I said no, the message was, "If you cancel the uninstall now, you will lose data." Before that it only worked. I'm so disappointed by Luminar 3

Julien MURSCHEL

Hi,

Thx for this update !

@Alina, you tell us to check out your "roadmap", but this roadmap is struck at the 3.1 update...
    Could you please keep your roadmap up to date ?!
    It doesn't take too long and it will show us that you attach importance to communication...
    For now, I didn't receive any email to informe me that you released the 3.1.1 update...
    I found this inadmissible and disrespectful...

Another point : when will the plugins functionality inside Luminar 3 for Windows be implemented like the Mac version ?
    We can't even use Aurora HDR as a plugin in Luminar... I found this absurd...

Thank you for your work.

Anna Veres

Hi Norbert, 

Please install Luminar 3 once again with the link below:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Luminar3_Installer.exe 

@Jan,

Please make sure to deactivate the antivirus/Windows Defender/Firewalls for the time of the update or to add Luminar 3 to the list of the exceptions.

If the issue remains, please try the alternative installer:

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Luminar_3_Release.msi

Hi Anna,

Before I disable antivirus... I would like to disconnect my computer from the internet. So my question is would the above two links let me download the installer to my hard drive? If yes then (1) I can download them to my hard drive (2) disconnect my computer from the internet (3) disable antivirus (4) install luminar 3 (5) able antivirus (6) connect my computer to the internet.

Thank you

Jan Schoonakker

@Anna,
    Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I work on a Macbook Pro. As soon as I come home from my work I will turn off the antivirus program. When this doesn’t work can you put a link especially for the mac download here?
    Greetings

Anna Veres

Hi Nadarajah

The installation process requires an internet connection. 

However, you can use .msi installer and then you will be able to install the app without the internet connection. 

@Jan,

Here is the link for MacOS: 

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/mac/Luminar3Installer.zip 

Jan Schoonakker

@Anna I closed the antivirus program and I now its installing the program (I hope). It is trying to download and install but it is terrible slow downloading. It takes about half an hour for 7 percent. I keep my fingers crossed because this download throwed my Luminar 3.1 away.

Gary Oke

I'm currently on v3.0.2.  When I go to Help > Check for Updates, it tells me I have the latest version.  

How do I get the 3.1.1 update?

UPDATE: I was able to get updated to v3.1.1 using the alternate Windows installer.

https://luminar3.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/win/Luminar_3_Release.msi

The first attempt broke Luminar 3.  It would not launch after running the MSI installer (even after a reboot).  Next, I tried the regular EXE installer again, and the only option it gave was "Uninstall".  Not wanting to push my installer counter up with a fresh install and activation, I canceled and tried the MSI installer again.  This time I was greeted with a "Repair" option, which I selected.  After completion, Luminar 3 launched again with the update to v3.1.1.3300 applied.  My install counter (# of licenses) remains the same so I appear to be all set.

UPDATE 2: Strangely, after using the alternate installer under Windows 10, I ended up with two copies of Luminar 3 installed on the same same computer (side-by-side) which were partially linked/overlapping, but not entirely overlapping. 

Version 3.0.2 (600+ mb) was still showing in Add/Remove Programs and now Version 3.1.1 (800+ mb) was showing below it.  Support advised me that it was safe to uninstall one of the duplicates to free up space.  I clicked on the 3.0.2 to uninstall and was presented with the "Repair" option, so I ran it.  It updated this copy of the program to 3.1.1 as well, breaking the MSI installed version of 3.1.1 and now two copies of 3.1.1 showed under Add/Remove Programs. 

The online installed version is smaller (600+ mb vs 800), so I uninstalled the larger MSI version of 3.1.1.  This in turn broke the standard web-installed version, so I launched the installer for the web version again, and this time (for the first time) was finally greeted with the "Update" option, which I selected.  An hour later, and I have a single, functioning copy of the standard web-installed version of 3.1.1.  Yippie!  That was fun!  Hopefully, I will be fine for the next update.

I still have no idea why the online updater was not working in the first place, but the install of the offline version fixed the updater to the web version (or at least, that's what appears to have been the case here). 

Michael Anderson

Log into you account on Skylum and go to your list of authorized software.   You should see a download link for Luminar 3.  That should deliver the latest version.  

Jan Schoonakker

@Anna Finally I succeeded. It took me 3 hours and 3 quarters to download the update. I must say it works great and it is much faster. But the long time download is not normal. I did not made any changes to my macbook and before it downloaded your software superfast, so I hope it is an issue on your site, but thanks for the fast reply. I am happy again and love Luminar.

Greetings Jan

Quirijn Landman

I tried Luminar 3 trial over the last week (including version 3.1.1). I must say the software really looks nice, and I would love to switch from LR to Luminar. What is holding me back is that the software feels slow. I have a 2017 MBP, and it just takes a few seconds for photos to get into focus when browsing through them full screen. This for me makes it unusable at the moment. I hope these kind of issues will get solved, at which point I would really consider switching from Lightroom, as I don't like the subscription model Adobe forces me to use.

Andy H

Slowly getting better, but start up time, RAW rendering speed and general performance still lags way behind ON1 Photo RAW 2019 with exactly the same number of photos. 35 second load time for Luminar versus <12 seconds for ON1. Still not enough to persuade me to have Luminar as my go-to DAM and editing software I'm afraid. It remains a bit part player in my workflow.

Matthew Stough

Is it just me, or are other original MacPhun (now Skylum) macOS users feeling more and more slighted with this latest release? Speed to launch in a macOS with HDD (including Fusion) is the slowest launch speed improvement. With NO Aperture importer, their own “coming soon” feature priority including Adobe importer, it just seems we don’t have their attention. Affinity Photo, now that Publisher is released will pick up the slack! Time to keep searching for the new Aperture workflow...still.

Andy H

@Matthew Stough. I agree.  It's taken Skylum far too long to to bring Luminar 3 anywhere close to being a contender for Aperture or Lightroom. Even now, over 6 months after releasing it, it's still way short of the mark. They may be making some progress, but when their starting point was so hopelessly poor, even with these latest "improvements" they're still lagging well behind the competition. Have you tried ON1? For me it has Luminar beat in almost every department.

Michael Anderson

To me a big area where On1 is way behind with Photo Raw is in allowing customers to define/use either DCP or ICC profiles for their cameras.   In Luminar, Lr, C1P we can import and use profiles for our own specific camera bodies.    I asked On1 for that for years.  

For me the pathetic part of Luminar is DAM.   I have to use Photo Mechanic 6 in front of Flex.   

Andy H

@Michael Anderson.  Good point, but for me that doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The most important thing is at least ON1 has a viable DAM, and its overall speed and performance is far superior to Luminar - at least on my modest set up anyway. Totally agree on the complete inadequacy of the DAM in Luminar, it's an embarrassment. I also have issues with latency on adjustment sliders in Luminar which makes it difficult to do fine tweaks to images. In ON1's defence they do a much better job than Skylum in listening to their customers and implementing what they what - even if it's not everything, but I agree there are some areas they need to be better on. There isn't one solution out there that's great for everyone, but or me an ON1 (for the DAM and a solid general editor) and Topaz (for AI and more creative edits) combination is great. 

Tomas Nilsén

Nice to see the update! Have big issue when i go to "edit" its take quite long time befor i can begin the edits. otherwise i really like the software so far. 

.jpg works really fast! Raw photos is really, really slow when select "edit"

Anastasia Davis

@Tomas We will continue working and improving the software. Thanks for your feedback!

Please sign in to leave a comment.