Speed of looks

Comments

6 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

We're improving Luminar 3 performance with each update.

Nevertheless, it might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size and images format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews)

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Also, as a workaround, I can suggest you to try dividing your Library into several Catalogs. it will improve Luminar 3 speed.

Comment actions Permalink
    Spencer Pieters

Hi Helena,

I have experimented with different setups. I've tried both a folder with 300 files in it to a folder with 5 files in it. It makes no difference in speed. My files are NEF images (Nikon RAW) of a 21 megapixel sensor, so filesize is about 20mb per file.

Files were on an external harddrive (a physical spinning drive) when I bought Luminar. I've since then upgraded to external ssd's with little difference. I've also tried my internal ssd with little difference.

As I'm typing this I have a folder with 5 raw files on my internal ssd and there is a 9 second delay between selecting an image and the creation of the Looks thumbnails.

Activity Monitor shows that Luminar is using 1.4gb of ram as I type this. It was over 3gb of ram when my folder contained all 300 images.

Further reading in your support forums shows that many people are experiencing issues with speed. Why do you insist on adding new features in new versions of Luminar when your support forums are filled with topics concerning speed? You respond to every question about speed with "we're working on it" but they seem like hollow words as the problem is still in 3.1.1.

Fixing the speed should be your #1 priority, no?

Angelo D'Souza

Totally agree with Spencer Pieters, please fix the issues first and don't give us your canned response "we're working on it." 

Spencer Pieters

If all goes well I should have access to a 2019 MBP today. New machine with 8 cores, 32gb of ram and top-spec video card. If that doesn’t cure the speed problem, then Luminar has a serious issue.

To be continued.

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi Angelo,

We do our best to fix it and we are going to release the updates more often so you could be satisfied with the app. 

@Spencer, please keep us updated. 

Spencer Pieters

Hi Anna,

Well, it's faster but it would have been really strange if it hadn't been, right?

I used Activity Monitor on macOS and it seems that Luminar is using a LOT of cpu and VERY LITTLE gpu to get things done.

I think the speed issues that people are reporting aren't easy to fix as a result. Maybe that's why you keep telling that new versions will bring fixes while in reality they fix very little. See 3.1.1.

I also used a trial of Affinity Photo and Activity Monitor shows that AP uses a lot more of the GPU.

Might be a good time to bring in some new developers. :-)

Please sign in to leave a comment.