Please recommend any stable and reliable product wth Luminar features.

Comments

17 comments

Mitchell Weitz

You might want to try Raw Therapee or Darktable, both of which have the benefits of being free, open-source software, so that at least it costs nothing to try them.  I've tried both and frankly didn't care for them, but your milage may vary.

There are also free, 30-day trials of the various ACDSee software packages; there are multiple versions for Windows, and one for the Mac.  I downloaded the Mac version the other day. I have only tried using it once, and although I find it more difficult to figure out than Lightroom or Luminar, it does seem stable. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Jerry Hall

First I use Photos as my home base for culling, "digital negatives" and backup to the cloud and time machine.  It is fast and reliable.  The smart albums and key words are great and make culling and organizing a breeze.  Photos is underrated as a DAM.

But I like everyone is dreaming of a fast, reliable, all in one non subscription post processing software solution.  In every case they are a work in progress, so expectations need to be tempered.  Having a solid home base in Photos is a comfort to me.  It is a valuable and unique interchange between Mac, iPad, and iPhone as well.  Of course editing is limited.

So I have been paralleling Luminar with ON1.  Exporting "keepers" from Photos and using ON1's excellent DAM.  ON1 is conceptually much farther along this path with its DAM, features (built in HDR, print module, focus stacking, resizing up and filling in pixels, excellent and fast Photos extension that retains edit history on round trips and so much more.)  I find myself investing more time to learn and use its deep set functions and trusting it more.

It seems that all the companies are in fierce completion, are small fish in the big Adobe pond with limited resources, and fall prey to a philosophy of features first, bugs and performance later.  They have to fit their software into a wide range of computers with unrealistic minimum stated configurations.

But I think ON1 has the best chance to carry it off.  They have a big edge in functions for photographers that covers Lightroom and basic Photoshop functionality.  They are far from bug free and performance can be laggy.  Crashes happen.  But I find it usable, their support team is quite responsive, and they have a history of fast corrective minor releases.  So I am optimistic.  But I keep my right foot firmly planted on Mac Photos, and keep my eye on Luminar, hopefully.

But I accept that I need a powerful workstation going forward for any of these guys.  Software is a minor expense (compared to camera and computer) but a major investment in learning time that one hates to lose when the software doesn't measure up.  So I am wary of painting myself into a corner in these times of rapid change.

HERE is a helpful set of reviews of the software choices. 

Ronald Skinner

Love the Luminar Editor, dislike the performance of the Libraries, Give ON1 Photo Raw a try, great program

Anastasia Davis

Hi Dayo! Please note that there are two versions of the app at the moment. Luminar Flex is a plugin version while Luminar 3 is a standalone version with libraries. 
    We are working hard on both versions to make them flawless and reliable. 

Colin Grant

Now, is there a way to make Flex work with Capture One?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dayo,

I am super impressed that your 2008 Mac Pro is running High Sierra and Luminar 3!! Well done on getting the most out of that machine. We really appreciate your feedback and I will certainly share your suggestions with our developers for their consideration.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

While we don't have a specific plugin for Capture One 12 yet (the first version with native plugin support if I recall correctly), you can set up Flex to run as an external editor. This instruction on their website should help: https://help.phaseone.com/en/CO12/Editing-photos/External-Editing#item1

Colin Grant

I have done that Angela thanks but the round tripping does not work well. Luminar does not automatically send the edited image back to the folder it came from. I also had an issue with C1 picking up the edited file but will try that again. It is strange that stuff like Affinity and Nik works well but Luminar does not. Luminar really is getting left further and further behind it seems.

Colin Grant

Angela, what seems to happen is that C1 sends across a tif and the only way to get it back into C1 after editing is by Export (there being no save or save as functionality in Luminar). However when exporting Luminar sends back a tiff (not tif) so it does not update the image in C1. Another bug I guess?

Luminar from the beginning

I am strictly commenting on the MAC OS concerning Dayo library scanning.  

Most users use a hierarchal directory structure by grouping related project files in to individual directories. It is a much better way to stay organized. The MAC OS FSEvents framework provides a mechanism for an application to determine which directories have changed since the last query.   By knowing the directories that have changed the FSEvent client only needs to rescan the effected directory instead of entire structure (80,000 files like Dayo pointed out). 

Clients of FSEvents are expected to then scan the directory that has changed in order to determine what, exactly, happened (assuming they're interested in that level of detail). The common pattern is to register for notifications for some subset of the file system tree, do an initial scan of that tree, wait for an event about a particular directory, then compare the new state of the directory to the state seen during the initial scan.  I hope that makes sense.

As a side note, the FSEvents is how the Spotlight metadata stays up to date.  

Mitchell Weitz, Jerry Hall, and Ronald Skinner thank you for replying to the original topic.   I get the impression their is a staged hijacking of this topic by the other posters. 

Colin Grant

Well Harold, you want recommendations but you do not want the obvious alternative which is Adobe. ON1 is an option as mentioned but I just cannot get on with it, especially with my Fuji stuff. Another excellent piece of kit is of course Capture One. Failing that you are perhaps into the realms of Affinity Photo but no DAM there, although you could use a stand alone DAM. ACDsee working alongside something like Affinity Photo might work well. But then you do have Apple Photos.

Colin, thank you  for your suggestions.  I think Capture One may be my next trial run. It seems to be getting a lot of good user (not youtube or blog paid endorsements) comments in many different forums.   The On1 will be next.  Lesson learned never put your eggs in one basket and always have an alternaive to fall back on (except Adboe).   

Colin Grant

I’m perfectly happy with Adobe personally, as are many of course. Certainly a better bet than Skylum. Capture One is expensive - decent outfits have to make money either by subs or higher prices. One certainly does get what one pays for!

Have fun 😎

Ronald Skinner

The problem with the Lr/Ps subscription is you keep paying 120 bucks over and over again with only minor updates, if you buy ON1 you don’t have to update and if you do you get a loyalty discount a friend of mine recently bought the latest version of ON1 for 55 bucks with a coupon code, that’s half the price of Lr/Ps. Adobe never gives current owners a price break when they renew their subscription, plus I never liked the LR catalog, the previews eat up a ton of HD space. I always liked the Luminar editor, but the library feature is disappointing and lacks features and can’t even read Nikon lens info.  I’m hoping Luminar libraries improves but don’t want to go through another update where I lose all my edits cause the catalog wouldn’t update, I’m now using ON1 and really enjoy using it.

Colin Grant

As I said, I am quite happy with the subscription model and have a tools that are imo much better that the ON1 offering. Adobe is a mature product  so one would expect upgrades to be less dramatic than the thus far buggy big releases of ON1. I prefer the Lr raw engine and the way it renders images "out of the box" and I do not have to pay extra to join their forums. So as I said, I am happy with Adobe and do not need or want others to try and convince me to the contrary.

Colin, there certainly is not anything wrong with your choice.   A happy customer is what a successful business is all about.   What if they double the price again or a key feature does not work anymore or it gets removed. I like to have an alternative to reach out to in case something unexpected happens.   Luminar was going to be my alternative (hoping) it would be stable DAM in 3.X.  Of course everyone knows 3.x release was not a proper release.  If the company continues down that road it is obvious time to move on.  I stopped using 3.0 after just one an hour of crashes every few minutes. I came back to try 3.1, and now it will not even  properly perform the erase tool.  Even thoughl Luminar 2018 erase tool works as expected.  After my first experience with Skylum support (and I use the support term very loosely), sadly I have lost all confidence in Skylum as a company.   So, it is time to find another alternative to keep on the side for that rainy day.  Besides, it keeps your brain exercised by learning, comparing, and incorporating another alternate product.

Do you use Ps as well as Lr?   I am curious why you are using Luminar.

Please sign in to leave a comment.