Canon CR3

Comments

11 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for reaching out.

Our developers are working around the clock to implement the support of .CR3 file format. There are some technical difficulties, but we are investigating the best way to overcome them.

Once .CR3 file format is supported, we'll let you know.

For now, we recommend you to install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your .CR3 RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Luminar). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Cheers!

Comment actions Permalink
    Jaroslav Ostadal

Hello,

its been 2 months since your technical difficulties. Any progress with the integration of CR3 file extension.

I moved from old D90 to Canon RP and I'm very disappointed that I could not use it directly in Aurora HDR 2018.

Since you complete integration of CR3 RAW for Canon R do you intend to update old versions of your products?

thank You very much.

JOstadal

Helena Carter

Hi Jaroslav,

Our developers are doing their best to implement the support of .CR3 file format in the nearest future. Unfortunately, the documentation on this file format is not publicly available, so the process of implementation might take a while. Our tech team has already started working on this project, but currently, we can't provide an approximate timeline for its completion. We still need to process lots of samples from different cameras to provide our customers with a good quality product.

James Andreas

Without fixing this, you’ve now announced a paid upgrade. Will this ever work for us current users?

PATRICK FILMOTTE

Will Luminar 4 integrate CR3 from Canon? Canon is a big Trade mark used by a lot of photographers who seems to be forgotten..and it takes now a lot of time to integrate this new standard comparing with other softwares. I bought luminar 3 with the hope to be compatible with last Canon standard and today Luminar 4 is to arrived and we don't know if it will integrate last canon standard ....At the opposite Last Nikon standard is integrated...What can we hope now?  

Geoffrey Hahn

There seems to be decent documentation of the CR3 format here:  https://github.com/lclevy/canon_cr3.  Admittedly, I haven't reviewed this information very carefully, and more than likely the Skylum engineers are aware of this particular page, but in case they aren't aware of it, they may want to review the information there.

Kirk Osborn

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have passed on this info to our developers.

Geoffrey Hahn

Just for clarification - ON1 only introduced partial compatibility with the CR3 format with their July 31, 2019 release.  I believe this was release 2019.6 for them.  By partial compatibility, they do not work with the compressed format at this time.  I don't believe that Skylum is that far behind the curve, not when what seems to be the most popular alternative to Luminar 3 (at least, from the comments on these forums) has only just recently begun supporting CR3.

Maurizio Loreti

As a workaround, if you are on MacOS you can convert CR3 pictures to JPEG or, for lossless format, to TIFF using the OS utility 'sips' (no need to install Adobe DNG Converter). Open a terminal, and type

sips -s format jpeg -s formatOptions 97 path/file.CR3 --out path/file.JPG

(97% is the JPEG quality factor). Or, for TIFF conversion,

sips -s format tiff path/file.CR3 --out path/file.TIF

For batch conversions, you may use the bash shell expansion mechanism, like in

for F in *.CR3; do sips -s format tiff $F --out ${F/CR3/TIF}; done

Craig Douglas Gephart

I purchased On1 RAW 2020 a week ago.  Works great with CR3 files.  I'm not suggesting anyone jump ship (I'd still like to stick with Luminar and am keeping my fingers crossed that L4 can handle CR3 when it's released).  However, if the engineers can't figure out how to get L4 to natively work with CR3 files, I now have a backup I'm finding myself largely satisfied with for my needs.

Elena Blum

Hi Craig - We've answered in another topic. Please kindly check it here https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360048150731

Please sign in to leave a comment.