Luminar 3 and multi-threading

Comments

2 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Roman! Luminar 3 does not support multi-threading at the moment.  In terms of Luminar performance, I would suggest you upgrading RAM, that would make the difference. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Ratts

Hi Roman, I recently went from a 4 Core Ive Bridge (2013) I7 to an 8 Core Coffee Lake (2019) i9-9900K. I also upgraded my video card, doubled RAM from 16GB to 32GB, and moved from an SSD boot dirve to an M.2 NVMe PCIe drive. Launching Luminar seems faster - but my catalog (60K+ images) is still on the same old 4TB HD.

Chances are the improvements in performance are mostly to do with the non-processor upgrades as Anastasia notes above; but consider this: You might want to be running multiple heavy duty apps at the same time: Luminar, Aurora, LR, PS, etc. Having more cores will help your OS load balance better so that they're all faster even if Luminar itself isn't designed to use multiple cores.

Also, if you're upgrading the processor, then you might also look at upgrading the video card, RAM, etc. If the processor upgrade includes a new motherboard as mine did, then I encourage you to look at switching to an M.2 NVMe PCIe boot drive. I picked up a Western Digital 500GB for $105. This kind of storage is about 7x faster than an SSD. You can get larger ones (up to 2TB at least), so if you wanted to really speed stuff up and your catalog isn't too large you could put two of them in - one for OS and applications, and one just for your catalog.

Two caveats about the M.2 NVMe drives. Be sure to get the PCIe variety or the speed will be limited by SATA and it's no faster than an SSD. Also, if you're using a Hackintosh do not under any circumstances get a Samsung Evo Plus drive. All of the Samsung models that have "Plus" in the name will cause random and frequent crashes in a Hackintosh.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.