Accent 2.0 for Flex

Comments

13 comments

Frank Fiorentino

Just add 4-8 weeks to any date provided by Skylum.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Leo,

I don't have a firm date for adding Accent AI 2.0 to Luminar Flex at this time but I can confirm it will be added in an update later this year.

IvanM

Hi Angela,

Many answers in these forums state that a feature or bug will be addressed 'in an update later this year', e.g. Accent AI 2 and 'lasso' selections in the erase tools. I am still evaluating  Luminar Flex and am hesitant to buy it because of these issues and other missing functionality. Will these issues be fixed free of charge in the current version and at what point do they go into the next paid version? I am reluctant to pay twice for features which I consider should be available in a 'base' product.

Thanks.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ivan,

Can you specify which issues you're referring to so I can give you a better idea of when they'll be addressed?

IvanM

Hi Angela,

In my experience, when I buy a product, be it software or a car etc, the features which are included are defined at purchase time. Updates (or repairs) occur within the warranty period and address new or outstanding problems. Very rarely are new features added to the product at this time. The next version (or model) is the one with the new features. The thing I cant get my mind around with Luminar is that the product is still very much 'work in progress' with no clear definition of what is or will be included in a particular release. Take for example Luminar Flex for windows. This is already behind Luminar and Luminar Flex for Mac. I understand that Luminar is a different product but I expect that any advances in Luminar will be around the features which Luminar Flex is not designed to do. Where the features are common, i.e. editing capabilities, I would expect the two products to be in step.Instead what we are seeing are promises that some missing features will be addressed in a future update. As I said earlier, I am reluctant to pay twice for something which I believe should be in the current version. Therefore, what I am after is a clear indication of what features are to be added in the current version and what is for future releases (e.g. 4)

Also, in these forums, it is stated that the bulk of future editing feature development will be in Luminar, and the two products will further diverge. This leads me to believe that Luminar Flex (new product!) is already in maintenance mode.

Thanks

Helena Carter

Hi Ivan,

Thanks so much for your feedback, I will forward it to the person in charge.

Since Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex are separate products, they won't be updated at the same time. Accent AI will be added to Luminar Flex in one of the future updates, we will keep you posted. I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with our products, we are constantly working on improving them.

Leo Wilson

It might be worth considering adjusting your focus to being customer-centric rather than developer driven. At the moment you appear to be put software out when you think it is ready rather than sticking to a roadmap.

Generally customers don't care about the distinctions between different products, especially if they have similar names and user interfaces. Photolemur no doubt uses a lot of the same technology that Luminar does, but it looks and feels different so most users would be OK with a different update schedule.

It's OK to hold back on releasing a feature until it's ready across the board. Although you may feel like a fast release cycle on one platform or for one product garners good relations with the people who get it, most of us would rather have the sense that everyone is getting the same thing at the same time.

Richard Harrington

Accent AI 2,0 and a few other improvements to Flex are currently in beta testing and will be released soon.

Leo Wilson

But instead you put out another release for Luminar 3. Flex may now hold the record for the fastest transition into Abandonware ever.

Helena Carter

Hi Leo, Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex are completely different products ans they won't be updated at the same time. However, we have different teams working on them, so we're definitely not abandoning Luminar Flex.

Leo Wilson

Hi Helena - can I ask you to have a look at my previous comment about customer experience? There's gold in there if you're willing to take it on board.

To underline what I'm saying though, at no point should the internal corporate structure of a company dictate customer experience. We simply don't care that you have two teams working on Flex and 3. They are, to all intents and purposes, the same product to the user. They have the same interface and the same purpose. Updating them at different times and in different ways makes no sense to the user and is very likely to drive us to other more consistent products. The best I've got for Flex is that it will be updated "soon" (a term that can mean up to 18 months in Skylum parlance) but I see from other (official) sources that there is a dot release of 3 due in July. You can see where this gets frustrating, right?

I've been a big fan of Skylum software for a while, but my patience with the mode of delivery is wearing very, very thin.

On1 do a similar job and do it much more consistently and in all honesty, I'm thinking that unless Skylum evens out a little bit soon I'm going to be shifting over to their software.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Leo,

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on Flex & L3. I'll be sure to share your feedback with our marketing team. 

Richard Harrington

Hi Leo.  Luminar Flex 1.1 is currently in beta test right now.  

It does contain Accent 2,0 and many other things to make it easier to use.

We're shipping it after testing and allowing folks to give us feedback.  We've often been accused of rushing things out the door and I can assure you we want this to be correct.

Our plans are to extend the beta test to a handful of outside partners next week.

If everything looks good, we'll announce a release date very soon.

I anticipate on or before July 15 to ship, but we need to make sure everything is ready.

As far as those Luminar updates, 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 are what you are referring to.  In those cases you'll notice two decimal places.  Those are performance and stability updates only, not new features.  Flex 1.1 adds new features and requires a bit more to get out the door.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope the clarity and transparency is helpful.

I'll be showing the 1.1 update at Friday's webinar –https://www.facebook.com/skylumsoftware/videos/1906238512808897/?__tn__=-R

You'll see it's very much alive and well.

Please sign in to leave a comment.